YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 10-02-2007, 04:28 PM

Question Any other nuts like me out there?

I have broken this thing dozens of times, yet hang on! I'm too cheap to get an RC18B... That, and at my age, even a propulse is hard to keep going. My most recent... issue is my FET array. It has toasted, and quite plainly. At the moment, I'm shooting for some 120A, 40v N-channel MOSFETs to replace the old ones.

Right, and more of a discussion-type thing: what should I do to make it better than it is? I've got the twin-motor upgrade, and the aluminum bodied shocks. I've got a nice dremel at hand, and plan on shaving away some plastic to help with weight. Other than that, though, I've got nothing. Ideas, anyone?
Old 10-02-2007, 05:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to Erock 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffolaey11 View Post
...and more of a discussion-type thing: what should I do to make it better than it is? I've got the twin-motor upgrade, and the aluminum bodied shocks. I've got a nice dremel at hand, and plan on shaving away some plastic to help with weight. Other than that, though, I've got nothing. Ideas, anyone?
How about getting the titanium turnbuckles? That's a good upgrade! If you want to add some speed, get yourself an aftermarket motor. I've dropped in a Mamba in one of mine ("Project:T100(R)"), but that might be out of your price range. But any other cheaper aftermarket motors will give you a significant difference in speed. If you want to keep your twin-motor set up (like I have in my "Monster T100") then get yourself some different size pinion gears. Even getting a different battery and changing your connectors to Deans Ultras will give you very noticable speed and power! There's a lot that you can do. It's only limited by your imagination and wallet!

Aloha!
Old 10-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
For one thing if your esc toasted with the dual motor setup then you should have sent it off for warrenty.........the fets could have been bad.
Spektrumized
Old 10-02-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffolaey11;198377}
..what should I do to make it better than it is? I've got the twin-motor upgrade, and the aluminum bodied shocks. I've got a nice dremel at hand, and plan on shaving away some plastic to help with weight. Other than that, though, I've got nothing. Ideas, anyone?
First suggestion I can make is to browse through the boards and see what everyone here has been doing to their rides. Then ask specific questions. Many of us have been doing a lot different types of modifications and enhancements. I know it may be a lot of browsing and reading for you, but otherwise it would be a lot of repeating for everyone else.

welcome to the forum

Last edited by BloodyBastard; 10-02-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:13 PM

nonono

It wasn't the dual motor setup that toasted my FETs by any means; they didn't go until I switched back to my stock motor... Kind of funny, though, they toasted [i]exactly[i] 3 days after my warranty ended, and my receipt was missing anyways.

I have done quite a bit of browsing, and am working on some of the miscellaneous things out there.

And yeah, about the mamba; it'll take time. I'm trying to save up and get a... 6.7kv setup.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
So what esc do you plan on using now.......are you using one.
Spektrumized
Old 10-04-2007, 04:13 PM

I'm planning on using the stocker ESC, but with new MOSFETs. If that doesn't work, I may get that ~$50 one from AE.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Okay cool..... Have you thought about the new Tekin B1R as a new esc.....its got a small footprint and will handle any motor out there.
Spektrumized
Old 10-06-2007, 02:56 PM

Mouser.com is the best place to find MOSFETs, 879-NP110N03PUG-E1Z, a 30V 110A will run $3.60 each plus ~8.3 shipping, and they give several ways to pay, including COD($15 fee from most shippers, though.)

But I'd imagine something else made your esc burn out, on the stock motor, so a new one might be a better bet, with an order for 4 FETs taking about $20 already.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:30 PM

Well, I'll try the FETs and if they don't fix my problem, I'll save up for another ESC. I can only pray that the FETs fix it. >.<