YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 03-20-2007, 01:04 AM

been a long time in the micro scene...

hi, i've been a reader of this forum since 2003, and am probably one of the first ones to jump on aktionrc's 540 conversion kit. after my first build skidded straight into a parking lot curb b/c of the layer or dirt and the inability to stop in time, i bought a 2nd kit and babied it like none other. after upgrading the dogbones, shocks, and differentials (the stuff the really matters, and not for the 'bling' factor), a quantum competition esc, and a 14T motor, i stopped playing with it altogether, and it has been sitting in my box for the past 3 years or so.

i took it out recently and started it up, and it ran just like when it was brand new. with the recent emergence of lipos, i was contemplating bringing new life to my 540 by getting lipos and maybe a brushless system. but because i've moved since 2003, the area i'm at now doesn't have the newly paved roads like i did, and so it makes it really hard for me to fiddle with it. my newly acquired losi micro-t got me thinking about selling my 540 and replacing it with an associated rc18t factory team kit, converting it to an MT, and then getting lipos and brushless motor.

i put almost $1000 of upgrades into my 540 micro before making it what it is today: micro kit, spy esc, team orion brushless motor, speed 300 motor, penguin rc chassis, 1st 540 chassis (crashed), then a 2nd 540 chassis in which i babied everything, springs, associated rear oil shock, ball diff, one-way front diff, hpi alum dogbones, quantum competition esc, 27T stock motor, and finally 14T motor.

i am posting to see what your input is in terms of me maybe selling my 540 in place for a rc18mt brushless - with your knowledge of micros, are you happier with the rc18t or your 540 micro? i just like to upgrade a kit package and make it as crazy fast as possible - not into racing or anything like that. when and if the time comes that i do choose to sell my beloved 540, i will post it in the marketplace, but this thread is just to gauge all your opinions about the 540 vs. rc18t/rc18mt.

thanks in advance!
Old 03-20-2007, 06:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to adamc
Hi, wow. 1st post and a member that long....

I have a aktion 540 mrs4, building another at the moment and my wife has a 9 cell 480 aktion sleeper mrs4. For my last birthday, all my family chipped in and got me an xray m18t, i put a brushless system in it (quark 33a and wraith 7k) its great fun.

Having said that, there was no way that I'd sell my 540 to get the truck. My 540 is like yours, babied, its on its 2nd set of foams and only had to replace 1 spur. I don't get to run it nearly as much as I'd want but i love the times that I do, theres nothing like the power you get out of it.

My truck is fun and very quick my kids love chasing and trying to catch it. I'm thinking about getting a micro-t too how do you find yours?

I know I'm rambling a bit, I'm tired right now but I'd keep my 540 mrs4. They're just cool. Got any pics of it?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:38 PM

the micro-t is pretty nice if you just want to run it indoors. the electronics aren't as responsive as having your own, though expected for RTR. because it's relatively new, there aren't many hopups for it, and the shocks could really use some dampening and resistance - it bottoms out on everything. i play with it more than my 540 and have a blast finding things for it to jump over. it would be nicer if there are more parts for it though.

as for my 540, i never really took pics of it, and it's in a box somewhere, so i'll have to get some pics later on when i locate it. seems like less and less hobby shops around here are carrying parts for it. as much work as i've put into it, i'm contemplating whether i should pass it on to someone that'll make more use of it - having it sit around idle is really a shame when someone else could get more enjoyment out of it, you know?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
I also own a 540 and even though i dont run it as much i dont think i would ever sell it, but then again it is up too you. If you dont have room to run it then you might as well keep it and save up and then get the rc18t,mt,or r.
Spektrumized
Old 03-25-2007, 08:26 PM

thanks for the replies - i am actually tempted to purchase the factory rc18t kit, the billet set, and then a bl system with lipo. that should about 'max' out the rc18t under $500, i would think.

as for my 540 - i tried getting some new tires for it this past weekend, and all 4 hobby shops in the bay area didn't have them in stock. tower hobbies finally got some in, but i worry that if i keep my 540 any longer, maintaining it would start to be a drag. hopefully the rc18t will make up for the loss if i were to sell it...
Old 03-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
In the end its all up too you, since your the one going to be running it.....in whichever you decide i know you will be happy since both models are nice.
Spektrumized
Old 05-03-2007, 04:36 AM

so about a month ago, i finally got my hands on a rc18t ft kit, and made the jump to brushless and lipo. i fitted it with a mamba 6800 and 3s lipo pack. i have decided to part with my 540 rs4 after all. i still need to take pictures of the chassis and post it on ebay, but so far i have a spare 540 motor plate that i have on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...6443&rd=1&rd=1

hopefully this will be a relief to those who have been looking to obtain a 540 motor plate alone.

thanks for your input, and i'll see you on the rc18t forum!
Old 07-17-2007, 02:35 AM

finally, some pics

hey, i finally got a chance to take some pictures of my 540 rs4 after it's been a shelf queen for the past few years. i am contemplating posting it up on ebay, but i'll sleep on it for the next few days. in the meantime, let me know what you think!

http://dau928.smugmug.com/gallery/3163639#173889422
Old 09-03-2007, 06:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to 98supra
car looks great man, it if you decide to sell it whoever gets it wil not be dissapointed Id love to buy it from ya but i doubt i would be able to get the funds of what that things worth.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:06 AM

hi guys,

been busy and forgot all about my 540 rs4. anyways, now that i have a bit more time, i'm going to create a list of all the upgrades i've done to this guy and all the parts that i'm going to include with the kit, and probably post it on ebay this sunday night. seems that these 540 kits are getting more rare by the day, since aktionrc's site shows all their kits as sold out, and a quick search on ebay shows no current 540 listings. at any rate, for those that are interested, feel free to search up "crazee928" as my ebay seller account late this week and place a bid if you're interested!

i also got my brushless lipo rc18t set up (6800kv + 3cell + 1/10th wheels = passing up cars that drive by my house), but i find that i really don't have time for this hobby anymore, so i may end up taking pictures and selling that off too. keep posted for that!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:16 PM

it's official guys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:L:LCA:US:1123

good luck with the bidding! i'm going to miss this guy.