YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 01-14-2007, 07:41 PM

Propulse Problems

Hey, first post here. These are pretty nice forums. But I thought a few of you could help me out here. I have a Propulse T100 Truck (first rc I ever bought from Radioshack and this is my first hobby rc car) and theres been 2 problems (1 minor and 1 major) that I have been having with it (and keep in mind i've only had this since last month).

First of all the minor problem is the steering or something thats messed up. No matter how much I try to adjust the steering trim my rc never seems to want to go in a straight line. It always goes kind of crooked in one direction or another. I think maybe the AWD on it is biased or something. I don't know.

The other (major) problem I have been having is something to do with the range or remote. Whenever my rc goes far enough where I have to walk back in its range again, and once I get close enough to it, it will start moving and go full speed by itself. Its crashed because of this and broke off one of the pieces. And I know its not happening because of my throttle trim because I always keep it on normal (and don't even touch it when i'm using my rc).

So has anybody else been having these problems or is it just me? Is there a certain defect or glitch with mine? I haven't took it back to Radioshack yet either so i'll have to see what they say about it. But I thought I could ask you guys first before I ask Radioshack.

And sorry that was long but thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
It seems to me that you might have busted up some gears in the servo....the only fix for this would be to get another servo and install it.....dont know what servo it uses so you might not get the replacement gears at your lhs. Now as for the range issues your having, check to make sure that your wires are neat and not all over the place....make sure that the battery leads of the esc and batts are not close to the antenna placement.......you might have to move the antenna mount in a different location, and another thing to check is to make sure that the capacitors on the motor is working properly...you can either replace them with new one's or check to see if there all soldered onto the can.
Spektrumized
Old 01-14-2007, 10:50 PM

Hmmm I guess i'll have to look into the servo thing. Although my steering isn't messed up its just a teeny bit off just enough to make the car go crooked instead of a perfectly straight line when you're heavily accelerating (which isn't that bad, but say if you wanted to do a "drag race" or something it would be annoying to keep it straight). So its not as bad as it seems. But i'll still look into it.

Now about the wiring. I haven't changed or fiddled around with the wiring since the day I got it. So everything looks like the same way as they were brand new. Nothings too cluttered or close to the antenna like you said and its not a big mess of wires everywhere.

And the last thing you told me. Could you show me how to check the capicitators on my motor? I'm not sure which part is the "capicitator" and theres nothing in the manual about it. Sorry for me being such a newb.

If none of this works then I guess i'd be safe just returning my rc back to Megatech under warranty or something. I only got this 3 weeks ago and I have been having these problems since I got it brand new. But thanks for helping though.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Heres what it should look like at the end of the motor....you can see the caps installed...please make sure that you have three, most of the motors you will see only have one.......so you might want to solder on two more.

And with the servo since you have crashed a lot because of runaways.......it could be that the servo horn on the servo lost its alignement.......so you might want to check and make sure that the servo horn is not stripped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caps.jpg (90.0 KB, 17 views)
Spektrumized
Old 01-14-2007, 11:32 PM

Well I have the three capacitors at the end of my motor which is good.

The steering feels relatively the same as its always been so the servo can't be that bad if any of the crashes (which most of them wern't that bad just in the bushes and stuff) damaged it at all. The worst crash i'd had was when it crashed into my garage door and popped the wheel out of place and maybe bent the wheel or suspension a bit. Other than that then I think all the other stuff is intact.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

then i guess i would just use another servo....and you also might want to try another crystal set.....that could be damaged as well.
Spektrumized
Old 01-15-2007, 04:05 PM

One more thing Alfred. Do you or have you owned any Propulse rcs before? Another reason why I made this thread was to see if anybody else has had the same problems with their Propulses before (especially if they were brand new like mine too).
Old 01-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

nope dont have one......i have owned the rc18t and too me the propulse is just another copy of it. Since its considered an RC model with seperate components like all the rest then its the same right.
Spektrumized
Old 01-29-2007, 09:01 PM
jessemxt

I have a pro pulse truck and I am dissapointed with it I bought it for my nephew and the shocks pop off and the oil leaks out it is just kind of poor quality I have a revo 3.3 and love it I might have made a bad choice buying this. I called radioshack and they wouldnt do anything so I guess I am stuck. Oh ya mine wont go in a straight line either and it is also kind of wierd it goes by itself sometimes. I think I am going to jump it off my roof lol.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:38 AM

The problem going in a straight line:

you say it happens under heavy acceleration? Does it NOT happen when the car is moving, but you're not accelerating (just coasting)?

If so, it's your differentials causing the problems. Make sure they are clean, a little piece of sand in your differential can make a world of difference.

Also, on the bottom of the chassis, near the back, there is a slit where you can see through to the spur gear... I put a small piece of duct tape over that to keep sand out of the gears, and it has helped a LOT!

At this point, I've trashed my rear differential, so I actually locked it with super glue, and it's great for drifting, and takes off faster, and in a much straighter line now. BUT... you can't turn as fast UNLESS you are drifting.

I'm going to be trying various differential combos; RC18T, MIP, all that jazz, and keep swapping stuff until I find the best setup.

Since I use my car for drifting some days, but for racing other days, I will most likely be swapping differentials a lot...