YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 03-28-2007, 01:20 PM

Strange Noise

My T100 started making a funny noise last night as I was sliding on the street through a bit of gravel/dirt. It sounds like dirt is trapped in a gear or something like that, but I've taken the car completely apart and see no dirt or gravel anywhere! The car drives fine, but it still makes that noise.

I've checked the drive shaft, the wheel bearings, the front and rear gearboxes and see nothing. Any other ideas?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Did you check to see if theres any damage to the spur gear on the model, you might also want to check the input gears on the drive shaft to make sure there not worn out.
Spektrumized
Old 03-31-2007, 08:12 AM

Don't see any damage to any gears on the drive shaft, the motor or the gear boxes. ??? ...stumped. It drives fine other than the noise.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Check to make sure that theres no small pebbles in the spur gear, and you might also want to check the pinion gear on the motor shaft as well.
Spektrumized
Old 04-02-2007, 07:56 PM

Check the gear mesh, make sure that it isnt too loose. You may have slightly bent a tooth on the spur, which may not be easy to spot.

My one issue with the ProPulse so far is that it does not have an enclosed gearbox. Any true offroad vehicle should not have any gears open to the elements. This is one reason that I never really liked the RC18B, and opted to get the Vendetta instead.

I like the ProPulse so far, but hate having to brush its teeth after every meal.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:45 PM

Hello, I'm new to the forums, but I'm not new to RC cars. I usually use a mini-z but I recently picked up a PP and damn their nice. Anyway I had a similar problem. If it sounds like a grinding sound check the pinion gear, look VERY closely, more then likely you will find a very small piece of dirt in between the teeth.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

And remember to check to see if your gear mesh is proper, use college ruled paper and fold that sucker in half and place it between the pinion gear and the spur, then slide the motor mount towards the spur and tighten......it should roll freely when pushed.
Spektrumized
Old 05-22-2007, 07:42 AM

Thanks Alfred. I've since installed the dual motor conversion kit and replaced all gears... the noise is gone, but I'm not sure I've got the mesh right with the dual motors. What is the folded college ruled paper for?
Old 05-22-2007, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Here's an easy tip for you to do....take college ruled paper fold it in half and stick it in the pinion and spur gear......then slide the motor mount until it meshes with the pinion and spur with the paper still in there...tighten up the motor mount and pull the paper out....your mesh should be fine. Set your ride on a smooth floor and give it a push, it should move freely with no binding at all, repeat the tip if neccessary.
Spektrumized
Old 05-22-2007, 08:32 AM

excellent... nice tip. I think I've definitely got my mesh too tight right now. Maybe I'll play around with it when I get home.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Cool, let us know how it goes man.
Spektrumized