YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 04-25-2004, 09:25 AM
Micro Novice

Send a message via AIM to dirthog
Venom

At rcx I saw the venom run, and it was really nice, it was pretty fast for its size too, I think I might get one, it handled the jumps very nicely. I was impressed.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Micro Novice

Send a message via Yahoo to slugbugg
I like mine, I havnt run it since the bearing upgrade but I did find a plastic bushing in the center gearbox that was pressed hard on the gear shaft.This would have worn out the case after a lot of running but now I have the bearings installed so problem solved.
I'm working on a different body since the stock bodies are ugly(I have an excellent body for it).

The only thing about the mini giants that I dont like as far as running goes is the steering servo placement in the chassis, it causes the steering to turn when the front suspension is compressed on one side.

I bought the venom 8.4 battery with it and it runs ok on it, mine will only wheelie using a slight reverse-forward action.I kept hearing a clicking niose on ocassion when running it but found it has a spring loaded/toothed slipper type setup in the center gearbox to help protect the gears so that is kind of cool.I'm not going to use the supplied lockout gear untill the slipper gets real bad.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:10 PM
Micro Novice

Quote:
Originally posted by slugbugg
I'm working on a different body since the stock bodies are ugly(I have an excellent body for it).
It seems A-Tech is releasing new GMC bodies for the Bison or as most of you know as the Venom MG. The site is in french but you can translate it at world.altavista.com. Click here. It shouldn't be too long till Venom gets those bodies. Sure they're all shaped the same but I like the paint scheme on the Green/White body
Old 04-26-2004, 05:44 PM
Micro Novice

Send a message via Yahoo to slugbugg
Those look good, a far cry better than what comes with the MG.
It surprises me that Venom has those ugly stock bodies on an otherwise very nice mini monster truck.

I will be using an AMT 1/25 scale bigfoot model for my MG (it fits very well) and if I get another MG (as I'm planning too) I'll use an AMT 1/25 scale usa-1 body for it (if I can find one).
Old 04-27-2004, 04:35 AM
Micro Novice

Uh...isn't that just a Proline Micro RS4 body?? Could be wrong, but the proline and protoform stickers all over 'em sure makes me think so...

Try here.

H2 might not look too bad either.

Last edited by shimey; 04-27-2004 at 04:40 AM.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Micro Novice

Shweet lookin' bodies.. I just scooped up my MG last night and had enough time to run through one pack of toss-away bat's.. would've bought the Hex, but everyone in town is sold out .. had to goto three places to get the MG itself.. hopefully this is an indication of how well these little guys are selling everywhere...

oh, btw, I love it so far.. out of the box, it exceeded my expectations.. obviously there are things I want to tune (got the bearing pack to install at home - diein' for the hex pack too).. but out of the box, the MG is definately not just "toy grade" and is a fun, capable little unit stock.

Also, it only cost me $159.99 Canadian.. that's like $2 USD!!

okay.. so maybe more like $118 USD..

anyway.. lovin' it so far.. good news on the bodies
Old 04-27-2004, 01:18 PM
Micro Novice

**Update**

Got the bearings in.. much nicer, very loose and smooth now where it felt very tight before. I don't have the Hex pack yet 'cause the LHS doesn't get them in 'til Friday, so I won't be able to see what this thing is really capable of until then.

One thing I liked about putting the bearings in is the fact that I understand the truck now from top to bottom.. you pretty much have to tear the thing right to the ground to get all the bearings in, 22 in all. One thing I can say is "Wow, what technology in this little unit!"

After putting in that bearing pack I now have an even greater appreciation for this little guy.. smart engineering to be found everywhere.. truly a joy to work on.

Last edited by Schwantz; 04-27-2004 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Micro Novice

Well I can finally join in the discussion because Venom just sent back my Giant! They said the problem was that a screw came loose and some the motor and stuff weren't working. Sent me back my original one except now it's fixed So I installed the wheelie bar, and placed in the hex-7... now I can finally control it. I have to say that the wheelie bar is a must. Without it, you'll always flip backwards. And this thing is tough. With it's big tires I've ran it head on into a lot of things, and no problems. The only thing I don't like is how the antenna gets bent up easily when you tumble over. I can't wait till I save enough money for the bearings, springs, and some type of 300 sized motor.

While installing the wheelie bar I noticed how simple the MG construction is. It's not as complicated as it seems and you can put it back together in no time.

My Grave Digger body should be arriving here hopefully by this weekend. I'm using the Revell/Monogram kit.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Micro Novice

Coolness.. I'd love to see the G' Digger body when ya get it man.

I'm gonna have to post some pic's up too. I painted mine black and went easy on the decals, looks more like *bid'ness* that way.

Something I noticed when putting it back together was the particular way the shock mounts work.. multi-positional to change the shock angle. That's not the really interesting part though....

...what's cool is that you can mount two shocks per wheel if you use both the inner and outer mounts.. no dremel, no tools besides a screwdriver .. I've also read that the Rear Losi Alumi-Oil shocks work well on these little guys...

It'd look like an absolute Stomper with two Losi Alumi-Oils per wheel! First things first tho.. got the bearings installed yesterday, got the Hex pack comin' for Friday.. then I'll look at maybe throwin' the first set of Alumi-Oils on before I do anything too extravagant.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Micro Novice

Quote:
Originally posted by Schwantz
Coolness.. I'd love to see the G' Digger body when ya get it man.

Something I noticed when putting it back together was the particular way the shock mounts work.. multi-positional to change the shock angle. That's not the really interesting part though....

...what's cool is that you can mount two shocks per wheel if you use both the inner and outer mounts.. no dremel, no tools besides a screwdriver .. I've also read that the Rear Losi Alumi-Oil shocks work well on these little guys...
Good news, my Grave Digger kit just came in yesterday. I already applied the decals to the body. The body just barely fits over the chassis. It's much narrower than the stock body. The only thing that prevents it from mounting "perfectly" is the little antenna holder on the side. I'll either cut a slot right through the middle of it so that the body's side will just slide right into it or I'll just completely cut off the antenna holder and find some other of place to mount the antenna. Perhaps in the back? Or maybe make a decent internal antenna? Anyway, I'll post pictures when I get the chance so you guys can see what I'm talking about

I thought that the losi shocks were "thicker" than the MG's shocks? Hmm... let us know when you try them out Some oil shocks would be great.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:55 AM
Micro Novice

Shweet man.. G' Digger rules..

Sure thing on the Losi shocks. It'll probably be a week or two, but I'll definitely post my results.

As far as remounting the antenna, I agree, I've already squashed my "straw thingy" left, right and centre. I read where a guy used a stock wheel nut (one of the plastic ones that come with the kit), drilled it out to 1/8" and glued it between the body mounts on the back frame above the battery cage. That way the "straw thingy" is somewhat guarded by the body if it rolls. He posted pic's too but I can't remember which forum it was in now.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:32 AM
Micro Novice

Well, I finally made a decision last night and picked up some batteries. The key factor for me was the run-time so I wanted cells with a higher mAh rating than just 1100, but I was worried about power loss going down to 7.2v from 8.4v in the Hex pack. Sooo.. I took a leap and picked up 6 1850mAh AA's giving me 7.2v and crossed my fingers. My theory being that 7.2 wouldn't be as hard on the electronics, and I'd be getting my longer run times.. if I ended up unhappy with the outcome, I could've always looked to a motor hop-up to solve the problem.

Well.. let me say, Hoooo-Leeeee.. this thing is a monster with 6x1850mAh, 7.2v.. I couldn't imagine it runnin' on 8.4, it's about twice as 'torquey' on 7.2 NiMh as it was before while runnin' 9v Alkaline. And it ran, almost without any dropoff, for just under 90 minutes of pure abuse.. I think I rolled this guy on his head more often than... well.. something that rolls on it's head alot! It's got so much torque it's crazy..

And when it did dropoff, it took about 5 minutes to go from noticing the drop, to having the batt's done all together, this is exactly the battery behaviour I wanted.. Man oh man.. I was pleased with the performance before, but now I'm ecstatic. Now my focus has gone from speed/power to handling because the new batt's light this thing up like.. well.. like something that really lights up!

Next upgrade for me are the shocks.. gotta sort out a proper fitting alumi-oil to keep this guy's feet on the ground.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Micro Novice

Sounds good, I feel like runtime is a problem with me too. Or maybe the runtime is fine, it's just that time goes by really fast when I'm driving it

Anyway I was taking pics at the park earlier today. I had a blast! Gravel and loose dirt flinging behind it and running through grass as if it were nothing. Oh and yes, I know my front tires are "reversed". The tread arrows should be facing foward but I was in a rush to take pics before my cam died.

I have more pics here. And I put up a few pics of the grave digger body I'll be mounting here.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Micro Novice

Very nice man.. thanks for the pic, and your other pics too.. that G-Digger body looks awesome.. I'm gonna have to wait 'til I'm not spending so much time upside down with mine before throwin' a sweet body like that on 'er..
Old 05-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Micro Novice

My Venom Mini Giant

Detail info is Here.