YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 05-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Micro Master

Got a MG!

I haven't been to this site since my micro racing days. But I just got a mini giant and found this subforum. My MG has bearings and a speed 300. I just finished putting a micro servo down on the axle to eliminate bump steer. Next comes an oil shock conversion. I also need to get a new body, I think the stock one is ugly.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Micro Novice

Welcome to the club!

Which pinion you using? My Graupner speed 300 was melting the stock plastic ones after 5 minutes use :-(
Old 05-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Micro Master

It's the stock pinion. Unfortunately I am still running Alkalines, so no melting here. What size do you recommend? Are the gears the same pitch as the HPI micro?

Speaking of batteries, I'm thinking of getting rechargable AA's for the stock holder. Any opinions on that? I know going from Alkalines to NiMH in my Mini-z's was like night and day, even though they had the same number of cells.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Micro Novice

I run the Hex pack in mine, I've got some metal pinions on order.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Micro Novice

Hey Vmax.. always good to see another MG owner!

On the batt's, I use high capacity AA NiMh's in my unit. I've got both 1850's and 2100's and it does make a huge difference coming from Alkalines. I went with the rechargeable AA's with the higher mAh rating for longer run times.

You should note though, there are a couple of caveats to beware of with the AA NiMh's:

1) Make sure the batt's don't have the solid cap on the positive side, they should only have the metal tip like a normal battery. The problem with the full metal cap ones, is that they short out the 'multi-polarity' battery system the MG uses in the carriage and the controller.

2) You might want to check the size of the batt's first. Steve was sayin' that his NiMh's were too large to close the lid on his transmitter. I've noticed that mine are definitely larger than Alkalines and make for a snug fit, but still work alright.

Other than those two things, once you have the right batt, they work great.

Won't have as much jam as the Hex though, as it's only 7.2v with 6 AA NiMh's. But it depends what works for you.. I like the longer run times.

Edit: I use steel RS4 pinions.. have a 9T and 11T.

Hope this helps man..

Last edited by Schwantz; 05-07-2004 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:21 AM
Micro Master

Thanks for the warm welcomes! I got my truck back together, and I'm going to get some NiMH AA's tomorrow. Here is a pic that shows the servo mod I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minigiantfront.jpg (56.1 KB, 103 views)
Old 05-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Micro Novice

Quote:
Originally posted by Vmax
Thanks for the warm welcomes! I got my truck back together, and I'm going to get some NiMH AA's tomorrow. Here is a pic that shows the servo mod I did.
Hey thats a cool mod. How is it working out for you?
Old 05-10-2004, 11:17 AM
Micro Master

It's working out very well. Fast response and no bump steer. It's not super precise, since it's mainly mounted to the front bumber which isn't very rigid. But for this vehicle it works great!