YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 05-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Fast,faster, fastest!

Homer,

What material do you use to make a mold cause it has to be heat resistant.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:02 PM
micro

WHOAAA HOMER you impressed us all !!!

Those bodies are awesome!! OMG I miss that BMW LmR !! and the 787b danngg it looks really good!!!! The first body you posted what kinda car is that, curious? It looks really cool and low!
Old 05-13-2005, 12:30 AM
Primo Micro Piloto

Quote:
Originally posted by alfred
Just make sure Homer buddy that you have mine enroute....I need to get in touch with Overdose to see if he would like another commissioned job....This body is going to be one of a kind so i really dont want to mess things up, especially with my painting skills.
Nice work on the bodies, Homer! Great to see something new, hope you will find time run limited batches of the shells you have created, as there seems to be nothing fresh on the market from the usual suppliers for a while now.

Alfred, I've been busy with non-hobby projects for a while, but am looking forward to working for you again soon! Can't wait to paint a special job for you on one of Homer's shells!
AE RC10L4 oval/ADX chassis
Schleicher AS-W20
Honda CB700SC
Old 05-13-2005, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrUnlimited
Homer,

What material do you use to make a mold cause it has to be heat resistant.
MrUnlimited,
I use a water-based product called hydrocal. I used alot of this stuff years ago in restoration work for architectural features and have lots of this stuff left over from my earlier days. Its similar to a plaster of paris or clay but much stronger. It stays workable for 30 minutes before it sets and takes about a day to dry before Im able to sand/dremel or chisel at it. Originally, I used this stuff because I had it sitting around (50lb bags) and was only testing it for workability on making the basic model shell design.
Interestingly, I spoke to many vacuum formers about whether a mould of this material would hold up under the heat and vacuum and they ALL said it wouldnt hold up - all suggested I make a prototype with this material only and then use cnc to make a wood or hard plastic/urethane type mould - well...they were ALL wrong...the material holds up very well under the heat of the poly coming down on it.

Radishack,
yours are enroute. the 787B (my version) was as you know, was my flagship body - simple lines and contour. the one you're referring to, was the second. its my version of the earlier style of the 787B - called the 737C. Its got a real nice curves (like a lady) and imo, the nicest profile.
Im working on the wings for all of these - sorry, but I sent you a couple of crappy vacuum pulls of 2 style wings - it put the wings too close together during the pull and wouldnt you know it, it was my last piece of poly I had. I think you should be able to cut it out correctly to function properly.

Overdose,
when you get alfred's body, lmk how it works out for painting.
It tested several with my iwata dual action airbrush using createx paint and the usual cleaning'n scuffing up before spraying. it adhered well to the poly. Your feedback will be muchly appreciated.

Just remember & understand Im not using an expensive $2,000 or $10,000+ professional state-of-the-art vacuum former. These are shells I personally pulled and all the lines for windshield, headlights, bodylines are all done by my an old fart's hand (namely me) - but I think they came out better than I expected.

1/18th scale homeRmade lids...
more...
more2...

Last edited by homer; 05-13-2005 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:45 AM
Fast,faster, fastest!

Homer,

What is old? I have a friend in Florida running r/c boats while he is 90years young!

Thanks for the info it is totally different of the materials we use to build our boats. We use fiberglass moulds to build our boats.

Last edited by MrUnlimited; 05-13-2005 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:13 AM
Micro Novice

excellent work! i love the 787b.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:27 PM

So, I hear everyone saying they want one, are you making just a certain amount? Or, are you going to make more of the ones that you have molds for already? Lastly, how much for the bodies? They look incredible!! I love the Grand Prix/Touring Car body styles. Currently have a very beaten up Toyota GT1, but cannot find a replacement. I'm very interested in the 787b. Let me know. trippinjedi@comcast.net thanks much.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:59 PM

trippinout,

Its still a hobby for me. I enjoy making these new bodies, now that Ive got the vacuum forming of it 99.9% figured out.
I've been getting alot of requests to buy so I'll make the time to crank them out (lol - me, myself & I) on a small scale production.
I guess what I may do is get some pre-orders (no commitments required) so I can get an idea of how much poly I'll need to get - besides the kids toying with my micros right now will just have to learn how to bash around with any clear bodies I have leftover cause I aint gonna paint them up for them..

alfred has dubbed this one "homer's lmr" (attached pic) . this one is on one of my MRS4 Arm chassis'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_3163.jpg (87.4 KB, 167 views)

more...
more2...
Old 05-13-2005, 08:05 PM

it will also work on the M18 chassis (with a slight mod to the body to get it as low as possible...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_3164.jpg (79.0 KB, 156 views)

more...
more2...
Old 05-14-2005, 06:56 AM

The wing in the first pix on your MRS4 looks good, that would seem to work with any of the bodies.

You can deffinately put me down on that pre-order list. I'll probably take one of all of them if thats not being to greedy

Hey and if you need help getting some paint down let me know. Sorry it won't be anything to fancy, but let me now if you just need a helping hand. I've been mainly using the Pactra cans, with some Tamiya colors and some Spaz Stix chrome and color change thrown in
Old 05-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
Overdose, i would love for you to do this body man.....it needs your magic touch with the paint...and as usual the payment will be the same...(and this time it will be included with the body)....
Spektrumized
Old 05-14-2005, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-Kid
The wing in the first pix on your MRS4 looks good, that would seem to work with any of the bodies.
Thats the HPI wing. I just used some plasticine (my sons, of course) to hold it in place on the body posts (for the photo shoot).

Also, Ive "improvised" on another method to install "poly" wings on my bodies using the stock body posts. I like what +gaz has done on his CF wing assembly over on one18th.
I'll see how my method works using some simple accessible components and some (simple) modding. .

Here's a shot of the GT Carrera. Im going to mod this one to fit my sleeper. I'll need to cutout the rear deck area to accommodate the VCS shock - dremel...here I come...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_3173.jpg (93.3 KB, 150 views)

more...
more2...
Old 05-14-2005, 03:59 PM

Yah those +Gaz wings look killer. The bling factor goes up since they are CF. That would amtch your bodies, but that HPI wing does match as well
Old 05-14-2005, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-Kid
Yah those +Gaz wings look killer. The bling factor goes up since they are CF. That would amtch your bodies, but that HPI wing does match as well
I agree with you. (also, its not wide enough for my bodies).
I had to improvise just to get a pic of the body with a wing on it.

more...
more2...
Old 05-14-2005, 09:47 PM
96744 Micro's

I'll sign up for a pre-order! Just let me know when and where!

The "homer lmr" is just what I've been looking for!