YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 02-13-2006, 05:58 AM

Set-up's

How's about we start a thread for set-ups. Everyone can share what they've learned and expieranced. Some of you good guys could share some tips with us cartwheelers

Right now for my bashing off-road settings i've got green springs at all four corners with the stock weight oil. I've also got no spacers, but thats open to change. The front shocks are pushed out to the outside holes top and bottom. The rear's are in the top outside hole, and inside for the bottom.

I have the factory sway bars installed with the front at the top, and rear in the middle. I drove it before I installed my CAW chassis, and it drove well out dorrs. The green springs do well.

Now with my extended CAW chassis and axels, handling should be more stable thru the bumpies. I'll be glueing up those Panther Dragons to run around with.

I want to get some track time in, but time is a detractor for me . I'll likely make my first track runs with the stock lid teamed up with the Half 8 wing.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:10 PM
96744 Micro's

Hey big we should try and make it out to an open track day at Barbers Point? Especially since there does'nt seem to be a class for the MLST just yet

But anyways

I like a stock MLST for off road bashing the best! I think it gives a good balance of being able to handle the rough stuff and still be pretty nimble. I have'nt had much time running this truck with the ball diff installed.

For my brushless truck I am also running green springs front and rear with stock oil. I have the shocks mounted in the stock positions. I was using the sway bars but it felt like it limited suspension travel to much for my taste. And I put a ball diff in this truck as well and it is working good. Truck does'nt seem to lose traction in turns or when slowing down.

I really want to get out to the track with both trucks to see what they can do?
Old 02-13-2006, 03:00 PM

Here is my track setup for wed night micro racing

30 wt shock oil
3R racing aluminum shocks with stock silver springs
arms level
peak chubby motors
7.4 2000 mah tp lipo
hr hex adapters
hpi super nitro rims
proline 2.2 buggy bowties
ofna diff lock grease front rear
Mip center diff

Bashing setup
Same as above but I use either green springs or for big jumps i use hpi red rally springs. and I change back to stock size atx tires with dish wheels.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:07 PM

Sounds like a good idea Xtant .

How do you like those 3Racing shocks Captin? They look sweet

Do your ATX's fare better at your track than the SKP's would have?
Old 02-14-2006, 09:23 PM

Smile

I think this thread is a great idea! It helps to save $ when you can see what others have set up and what works.
I have a question for those with brushless motors. I installed a mamba 6800 last night and seem to have some issues with receiver interference. Where is the best place for mounting the speed control? Pics would help if any one hase some.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:18 AM

mostly broke, are you having a physical interference where your Rx isn't fitting? Or are you expierencing some type of "glitching"?

I haven't heard of too much glitching caused by the ESC. Most commonly if it's being generated by something electrical, the likely culprits are your motor or servo.

If you're able to, try and run your truck with the Rx dis-mounted. Just prop it up on something where your wheels aren't touching the ground, and then remove the Rx. Move it around and next to your ESC. Does it still glitch?

Double check that your antenna wires not broken, cut or even crimped in it's current location.

I will likely be setting up my Mamba 25 speedo underneth my main chassis plate. I'll attach it somehow to one of my CAW skid plates. I have seen other guys mount their Mamba25 over their servos, in one of the motor spots (when you run BL and use only 1 motor) or in the stock location.

Good luck
Old 02-15-2006, 11:48 AM

Big Kid the 3R racing shocks are really nice the are super smooth. I noticed with my stock shocks that i could not get them to operate super smooth. Even with tini shafts and polishing them I think the problem was maybe i needed to sand the piston disk a little. Plus you dont lose any suspension travel by the way the bottom spring mount is designed like a v shape to mate with the tapered end of the shock body. Not a bad upgrade for 20 bucks. The springs are happy medium between the greens and the silvers.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:15 PM

At first I could not get the speed control to program. So I called castle creations and they asked how close it was to the receiver. They said if it is too close it will cause interference so I moved it and then was able to program it but it still has some glitches like its not sure of what it trying to do (shaking at startup)
So I dont know wich is best to move the speed control or receiver.
I thought about moving it below the upper deck but worry about dirt and water. thanks for your help

QUOTE]Originally posted by Big-Kid
mostly broke, are you having a physical interference where your Rx isn't fitting? Or are you expierencing some type of "glitching"?

I haven't heard of too much glitching caused by the ESC. Most commonly if it's being generated by something electrical, the likely culprits are your motor or servo.

If you're able to, try and run your truck with the Rx dis-mounted. Just prop it up on something where your wheels aren't touching the ground, and then remove the Rx. Move it around and next to your ESC. Does it still glitch?

Double check that your antenna wires not broken, cut or even crimped in it's current location.

I will likely be setting up my Mamba 25 speedo underneth my main chassis plate. I'll attach it somehow to one of my CAW skid plates. I have seen other guys mount their Mamba25 over their servos, in one of the motor spots (when you run BL and use only 1 motor) or in the stock location.

Good luck
[/quote]
Old 02-15-2006, 03:58 PM

I moved the receiver to the empty motor slot and it works great! I love this little truck!
I took it out side in a snow storm because I had to see what it could do. It was sweet! I wish I had got the 8000kv now but it will be great when I switch to lipos. Thanks for the tips.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:27 AM

Thats good to hear

I hope you did a little "packaging" of your electronics to help keep out some of that snow and water.

Lithiums will make a noticable difference in speed and power. Wether you use a 2 cell or 3 cell, you will like the extra "oopmf" that they pack

Captin, thanks for the heads up. I think Xtant and I will be getting ourselves each a set of those shocks. Have you installed the TiNi shafts onto your 3Racing shocks?
Old 02-16-2006, 09:01 AM

BIG,
I have not yet, I will probably change them out when I rebuild them the next time. But for right now the 3R's are working well
Old 02-16-2006, 08:55 PM
96744 Micro's

Yup we sure will be getting some 3Racing shocks big!!!

Just oredered them today! And got an email saying they were going to be shipped today as well!!!

But probably won't get here till monday or tuesday!

capt glad to hear they are working good for you!

I'm looking forward to this upgrade! The stock shocks are o.k., but I've been dealing with a leaking one from day one!

Look forward to seeing pics of the new shoes big!
Old 02-21-2006, 08:43 AM

BIG, XTANT
Took apart my 3r shocks this weekend to bling them up with the tini shock shafts that I had. I did a test with the stock 3R piston disk and the stock LST Disk. I opted for the stock LST disk. For one the three holes made the shock action faster. enabling me to use heavier springs and oil which made for a more stable ride. The stock lst disks were a hair smaller wich made them just a tad smoother. I'm likin this setup. These shocks are really good and no leaks. they ave a nice bladder system in them that helps keep the shock pressurized. You guys will like these.

The CAPT
Old 02-23-2006, 04:06 AM

Thanks Captn' . Just what I wanted to hear

I was thinking along those same lines for the piston. I figured the stopcker would have some advantages. I wonder when Losi releases some shocks, how well they will stack up to these 3R's?

I'm considering adding 40wt. oil up front with the Losi pistons and green springs. For the rear, i'm looking at keeping the same oil in the 3R shock, with the Losi piston and either the green or silver spring. I'll see where that gets me
Old 02-24-2006, 03:38 AM
96744 Micro's

Yeah captn Mahalo's for the info!

I want to see how the 3Racing shocks work for me out of the box first.

But glad to hear that this is an option!