YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 01-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Micro Master

Send a message via AIM to quietfly
MLST Issues why and how.

Alot of people have been talking about the issues with the MLST and what is wrong etc. I wanted to have a thread to discribe exactly what is going on with the truck and what Team Losi is doing to fix it.

The main issues are:

Center Diff unloading to front.
Front diff stripping
rear diff stripping
wheel hexs stripping
wheels breaking easliy

I spent a while on the phone with TL support and found out that the issues are tolerance based. somewhere between the prototype and the production the tolerances of the diffs and the hex's were slightly changed.

They still do not know how it happened, but what they are doing is sending out a "care-package" for every MLST owner that requests one with the upgraded diffs and hexs. According to the guy i spoke with, (i think his name was bill) they have been running the new diffs with brushless and 7.2 lipos with no problem. they wanted to make the replacement bullet proof.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:17 PM
96744 Micro's

The center diff unloading is to be expected from an open gear diff with no adjustment.

I think it is more the front and rear diff pinion gears that are stripping and not the actual front or rear diff.

I believe the diff pinion gears are just made out of a cheap material! Some have said that it was improper gear mesh, and this is supposedly what the upgraded gears fix?

But after seeing my rear diff pinion gear not only have 3-5 teeth snap completely off, and the gear itself break into 2 pieces!
I will take some responsibility for this as I was testing my Dual Hyperion 6K setup. But to me I could have understood if the gear stripped, but the teeth snapping off and the gear breaking in two would lead me to believe it is not a high quality material being used here!

Some people have been posting already that the upgrade diff pinion gears are not much better than the originals. Although Losi has said the new gears have been tested with a Brushless motor/lipo pack combo and worked.And that it does'nt sound like Losi thinks there is any problem with the new gears!

Have now been hearing that Losi is scrapping their Spool kit! That was supposed to come with metal diff pinion gears. Someone from Losi said that the Spool with the metal diff pinion gears would only cause more problems?

My wheel hexes were really badly out of shape, and I have heard from others who got their upgrade kits that the new ones are better.

And the wheels cracking seem to be from the result of the badly shaped hexes and overtightening of the wheel nuts.

I really hope Losi will get the diff pinion gear made out of a better material!
Old 01-06-2006, 03:03 AM

I think Losi did well in releasing their "care package" (which I just got a week after calling ). This is barely a month after releasing the truck itself to us. I think this is a big step by them to satisfy R/Cer's who are mainly medium-to-hardore, not just the avergae joe that must make up at least half of the MLST buyers. They are basically catering to our needs of higher "horse power" .

Granted, like the Losi rep was telling you, tolerences were not where they were supposed to be . But they did the right thing in assuming this fact was their design flaw, and offering up a FREE upgrade for us. I'm a happy camper

Some are not and I think that is why we are seeing some of the MLST's up for sale. But while there will be some "bum" trucks with defective parts, there will not be any R/C kit released that will not have them. That is an unreasonable assumption.

If you lock down the center diff, you need to expect the possibility of damage. The truck came with an adjustable unit for a purpose. There would be mnay clamering for a center diff/slipper if the truck did not come with one.

The wheel hex problem is a black eye for Losi, that is a straight up glitch in quality control. That is probably partialy responsiable for warping the wheels. It's also likely contributing to guys over tightening there wheel nuts from wobbly wheels. Then that is likely leading to some of the wheels cracking. Do you see the patern here? One issue leads to another.

I to hope there will be a diff gear set made with something stronger like delrin, metal, aluminum, Ti. or whatever. Losi does make Kevlar spurs for their new TC racer, maybe it'll make its way into the MLST? But if someone does do metal gears, I think all of the gears will need to be made of this same material.

The updated diff gears seem to be made of a hard type of plastic. ime will tell how they hold up. So far, there was at least one down with the new gear set, but that was due to an AON motor and locked center diff. Thanks goes to TRD for finding that one out for us