YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 03-12-2007, 05:26 PM

New Atomic RC Motor!

Atomic RC just released their new Micro-BB motor for the Losi Micro-T. My buddy just ordered yesterday it and we are going to be doing a review on it when it comes in.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
cool cant wait to hear the good or bad news on the motor.
Spektrumized
Old 03-12-2007, 07:12 PM

Ya I'm pretty excited to see if the bearings make a big difference.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alfred Send a message via MSN to alfred Send a message via Yahoo to alfred
well when you get the motor just dont forget to lube the front and rear bearings........
Spektrumized
Old 03-14-2007, 05:34 PM

Just got the motor in. We'll be writing a review in the next few days. Until then here are some pics.

Last edited by Suzuki; 03-14-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Dont forget to post it in the user review section of YM.......you can also post it here and copy and paste it in a new thread.
Spektrumized
Old 03-15-2007, 02:49 AM

What the? I thought it was supposed to have bearings? Look at the end of the shaft.. bushing!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Never noticed that before, thats what it looks like to me. Please enlighten us on the motor Suzuki .
Spektrumized
Old 03-15-2007, 08:15 PM

Alright well my roommate went to setup the new motor in his Micro T and then realized his tranny is all messed up. So he's trying to get that fixed so we can test out this motor.

As far as the bearings go we can't tell. Only way to know is if we crack this beast open, which he obviously doesn't want to do. So I'll let ya know. There's another guy that just got his in and he said its a lot faster than the stock motor. Go here to check out the thread.

I'll keep you updated once we get his tranny fixed. Plus we're going to the carpet track tomorrow so hopefully we can try it there as well to get a real speed test.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Please check out the TinyRC shop as well....as they do carry this motor.
Spektrumized
Old 04-02-2007, 02:39 AM

Man this has been hashed over a thousand times already, the motor has ball bearing, you can either take it apart or just look closely. If you hold one close to a stock motor and look closely at the end-bell you will see that the bump is larger this because it houses a ball bearing instead of a bushing, and if you look at the business end you will see that like the Atomic 130 Mini-Z ball bearing motors it has a thin brass bushing that covers the ball bearing keeping it in place and protecting it, look closely at the side and you can see where the bearing ends and the bushing is held in place also the bushing hole is larger than the shaft but the shaft does not wobble, or as I said take it apart and look inside.

As for performance the motor is just a stock motor with ball bearings, nothing more or less, because it has ball bearings it is more efficient and runs cooler. In most cars you wouldn’t notice much if any speed or torque increase just by adding ball bearings to the motor but there are extenuating circumstances in the Micro-T’s case that make it interesting. Basically you have a motor operating at extremely high speeds, 50k rpm at 4.8 volts, trying to draw over 2amps form a very small battery pack at WOT, pushing against a very low geared transmission. In other words in a stock Mini-T the batteries are maxed out while the motor shaft is being forced very hard against the bushings at an extremely high rpm. Those ball bearings really show there stuff with a stock battery pack and the 14 tooth pinion, but if for example your are running a 3.7 volt 2p LiPo pack and the 10 tooth pinion you hardly notice any difference at all. As for using it with 7.4 volt LiPo’s the difference depends mostly on your cells, with the 10C 250mAh full river cells I don’t notice much difference at all but with the under powered 5C E-Tec 210 pack I do, that little bit of efficiency even lets me use a 350 mAh 7.2v 10440 LiIon pack with a 14T pinion and 49T spur gear without overheating the Lithium Ion cells.

Stock No-Load at 4.8v

Atomic BB No-Load at 4.8v

The first time I saw these numbers I was amazed, the Micro-T motor is already hot, not just a little but massively so, the magnets are also very strong, which is why I suppose the stock CB is running parallel mosfets on the H-bridge. How hot is the stock motor? When I tried to run it up to 7.4 volts without a load it peaked at 69,000rpm and ignited the com fluid, even Trinity Black Death 19turn comm. drops won’t take the heat.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:58 PM

I just put this motor in a few days ago. Defiitely "seems" like more torque and even top-end. Also I haven't timed it but it definitely seems to run longer too. So far this is my only mod. And at $20 (which is what I paid including shipping) I'd do it again for sure. I'm kinda hesitant though to do the 7.4 lipo now though b/c it does seem to get a bit warmer than the stocker. Maybe I just started noticing b/c I just started checking? I dunno, maybe it's all psychosomatic but I'd do the mod again.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

The stocker does run hot, but i guess if the person wants bearings instead of bushings then he or she can get the Atomic version. Thanks for the info lbrc.....
Spektrumized
Old 04-13-2007, 04:07 AM

Statement Retraction, The Long Story:
One of the locals, lets call him Ricky, couldn’t wait for the Atomic BB motor to show up stateside so he paid EGR the big bucks to ship him one as soon as they came out. Wanting a comm. drop hole in this his latest baby he turned it over to me for the operation since I would unsolder the caps remove the end-bell and use the mini mill instead of the risky rotor drill method. I of course volunteered to perform the surgery because I was anxious to get my hands on one but too cheep to pay Atomic RC’s initial manufacturers suggested retail plus HK shipping.

Anyway when I took the end-bell off for drilling I looked and thought I saw a ball bearing just like this

but now I’m not so sure, hindsight is not always 20/20 and in this case it’s a little blurry, it could have been a case of seeing what I expected and wanted to see, I now wish I’d taken more time and a closer look removing the armature while I was at it, of course Ricky would have had a conniption fit if I had so maybe that would not have been possible, he’s bigger than me.

The problem is that after opening this motor purchased by another local from Atomic Mods up for the same comm. drop hole operation I noticed that it did not.

So now after stating emphatically that they did have ball bearings I have to humbly retract that statement and say that some or possibly even all do not. Am trying to get Ricky to let me open his back up to see if it did/does actually have ball bearings or if I was just hallucinating.

BTW the above Atomic BB with the ball bearing did not come with it installed after taking a close look at the Atomic end-bell I noticed that unlike the stock motor there was a sleeve around the bushing hole as if it was originally poured to take a 4x2mm bearing but for some reason the sleeve and smaller bushing was used instead. After reaming out the sleeve a 4x2mm ball bearing slipped right in just as if it was made to.

One possible explanation could be that since the motor turns at over 50K rpm they had bearing problems, and reliable 4x2mm high speed/temp motor bearing rated at 50,000+ rpm could be a problem in the price range. Just wild speculation but I’m still having trouble imagining why my favorite Mini-Z motor manufacturer would risk their rep by intentionally putting BB on a motor that didn’t have them, and like I said above I’m still not sure that the one I first looked at didn’t actually have them, won’t know until Ricky lets me dissect it and although he’s tentatively agreed I suspect it will take copious amounts of bear for him to actually let me do it. In the mean time I emailed Atomic RC (not Atomic Mods) hoping for a reasonable explanation.

Last edited by lbrc; 04-13-2007 at 04:15 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:30 AM

blew the BB motor

After i got my lipo batteries the BB moter blew. I took it apart and couldent find any ball berings. I guess it cant handle the lipo batterys.