YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 04-20-2009, 01:31 AM

hot first charge, whats goin on?

ok so i went out and bought a new ni-mh 6 cell 1200mah by venom for my rc18t the package said to charge at 1 amp for longer life and 2 amps for better performance, it also said: DO NOT TRICKLE CHARGE! which i thought was odd, so i went ahead and charged it at 1 amp, now the strange part is that it got extremely hot charging at 1 amp, it got hot like i was charging it at 4 amps, so i let it cool off and i put it in the truggy and ran it, it proformed just fine, had a good long run time and it provided plenty of power, my setup is a stock ESC, deans connectors and a Reedy Mini-Max motor. so why did it get so hot? i'm charging it again at the same current to see if it does it again.

my charger is a Dynamite Prophet Plus LCD, fuses are good, and i checked the output current with a multimeter just to make sure it really was at one amp, it was.

Thanks
Need new rims and tires
spins it's wheels when i launch it, so much that it doesn't get enough traction for wheelies
Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RERacing View Post
1- The venom packs are not know for using quality cells.
2- Non-matched packs tend to get hotter while charging than matched cells.
3- First charges oftentimes come out hotter-feeling than later ones.
4- As long as it's not melting the shrinkwrap off, you should be OK.
5- If you're using stock-style plugs, the resistance the offer adds to the heating of the batteries.
ok, well it didn't get as hot as before, just warm, i do kinda like this battery though, it's still got nothin on some others but hey! i got it on sale for $3.00
(my LHSwas going out of biz and they had a MASSIVE sale, stuff up to 95% off!) and it works, it was slim pickens though cause they pretty much sold most the stuff the first weekend, i couldn't get there the first day cause of some *&%#@$*&!%^#@(*% kidney stones
Need new rims and tires
spins it's wheels when i launch it, so much that it doesn't get enough traction for wheelies