YourMicro.com - HPI Micro RS4, Losi Mini-T, XRay M18, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts, Mini-LST Hop-Ups, Mini-LST Parts, Kyosho, Atomic, 3Racing, Country Alloy Works, Castle Creations, Trinity, Intellect, United RC, Battery Packs, 2/3A
Old 08-10-2002, 01:06 PM
Micro Master

Send a message via AIM to DntSwetDaTchnqu
Bolink GTP Sports body,

where can i get one of these. like what this guy is selling in the auction...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1756457540

thanks
Old 08-12-2002, 03:33 PM
Micro Master

See the tag on the new body...
BRP, Bud's Racing Products.
That's the folks who make the Super Car 18. If you've ever raced against a Super Car 18 with a good driver, then you've probably lost.
Sorry for the trash talk, the SC18 is faster than most Modified Micros.

Check with Bud at www.brpracing.com.

He can sell you the GTP body. It is of a Chevy Intrepid actually. I painted one for my SC18 in Jaguar green and white livery. It looks sweet.
David
RAFster
Old 08-12-2002, 09:55 PM
Micro Master

Send a message via AIM to DntSwetDaTchnqu
thanks man
ive been lookin to get one of those. is there a fourm for them
Old 08-13-2002, 11:22 AM
Micro Master

The Super Car 18 forum is at:

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/forumd...?s=&forumid=21

David
Old 08-15-2002, 01:09 PM
Micro Master

about the sc 18

I'm really curious about this car. I live in Nebraska and I haven't seen this BRP SC 18 anywhere here. But I'd be willing to order one to try. What I want to know is, when you do the comparison between it and the micro, how are the two cars configured? You say the sc 18 is faster than a modified micro. But what I want to know is how is that sc 18 configured, and about how much money is in it. Such as, what type of motor, esc, micro or standard servo, micro or standard rx? Thanks for the info? Also where can I order one?
Old 08-15-2002, 03:52 PM
Micro Master

BRP Super Car 18 vs. HPI RS4 Micro affordable

Comparison of a HPI micro with Ratzas chassis, Orion steering parts, micro radio, typical esc. HPI mod motor, 6 cell 2/3A NiMH orion pack versus BRP car out of box with XP magnets in motor and ball diff with 6 cell 700AAC nicad pack, standard radio equipment, Atom ESC.

Out of the Box the Super Car 18 is a simplier and more rugged car. The lack of hop ups for the car is what some consider the weakness or strength. This is probably why the hobby shops don't want to carry the car, not tremendous amount of money to be made on the car in hopup high dollar parts and a steady supply of replacement parts.
They can with the HPI Micro and it is what all the magazines are pushing.
A recent issue of one of the magazine did a comparison of the Micro class cars. The SC18 was in the 20mph range out of the box with no mods.

To put a SC18 in race trim you would want to have the XP magnet motor, ball differential, and possibly the more flexible T-plate. Depending on the body you generally don't need micro equipment for the SC
18. In stock form it uses foam tires. Generally an Orange Dot compound in front and Green Dot compound in rear. For a few dollars more you can get the long wear foam tires.

It is designed for a 5 or 6 cell AA Nicad or NiMH pack. A 600 mAH pack is sufficient...so if you club allows NiMH then you can go with a AAA or a 2/3 AA cell. The 2/3AA cells build a pack that is 2 ounces lighter than the Nicad AA out of 700AAC Sanyo Nicads. The AAA are a bit lighter but there is arguments from various folks regarding their ability to provide surges of power the RC cars request.

The chassis is a Fiberglass and Kydex pan chassis design with Tplate and friction disk damper design. Very simple and very effective. The front suspension uses 10L/12L springs with same for steering blocks.
The cars rarely break things...
It isn't as pretty as a HPI Micro but I'd rather have performance than beauty. Besides, the beauty you see racing is the body, not what's under it...

Bud was offering the local racers a racer special which included a car kit, ball diff, XP magnet motor, 6 cell battery pack, and choice of most bodies (except SAL7 and C5 which were $2 more) for $100.

Most of the guys I know run a Futaba MC230CR reversing speed control and
standard servo. Some use the Novak Atom. The GTP bodies require a micro servo. The Futaba Magnum Jr can be purchased as a combo with the MC230CR speed control for about $100.

Most of the time from what I've seen, the HPI Micro is modified with an aftermarket chassis, front aluminum steering parts, micro servo, micro radio gear. They have $100 in the car then 100-200 in hopups. From what I hear everyone telling me the HPI chassis with the kit is far too flexible. Often people hop up other things without first replacing the chassis.

As far as bodies goes...The SAL7 body Bud has is very nice (Saleen 7 Mustang). The HPI 140mm bodies have to enlongate the wheel wells to fit the 146mm wheelbase on the BRP SC18 chassis. A 150mm body fits fine...
I put a HPI Dodge Viper body on my
SC18 to beat up while getting familar with the car. I used a standard servo
and enlarged the rear wheel wells to fit. The GTP body is a snug fit you have to put the transponder behind the antenna atop the battery pack to get it to work well. (mounting transponder in the greenhouse area.)

Bud makes a wheel adapter so you can run the HPI wheels with the car. It is $20. Then there is the big block/speed 300 motor plate kit for another $20. You generally won't need
the Speed 300 it is plenty fast without it. The SC18 is driven like a 12 scale car and if you maintain the speed in the corners you can get good lap times. It handles very nicely and hooks up well. Guys ran them on carpet last year and had a blast.
Racing on carpet, they ran nearly the entire carpet season on one set of Orange Dot fronts and Green Dot rears in standard foam, not the long wear.
Our outdoor track is super hard on tires. I get about 2 weekends out of a set of Long wear fronts and 1/2 the season out of the rear tires. The HPI micro guys I run against are changing tires every 4th or 5th weekend. If you go the HPI wheel route the Dynamite soft rears and medium front rubber tires give good grip and hookup and similar life as the Micro drivers see.

I'd rather have fun racing and not break the bank on the car and be able to enjoy other things. Heck I can buy two racer specials for what most guys have in one HPI Micro that is hopped up. In fact I have. My kids and I will have fun this winter in the basement with the cars...

The guys that run against us in our club have expressed some regrets after getting whomped on because we are doing it with a far cheaper car. They have too much in their cars to walk away from them and buy the SC18. Some have and dumped their Micro on ebay or sold it to other club members.

You can order one from Bud at BRP Racing http://www.brpracing.com
Ask Bud about the car and I'm certain he can answer your questions.
Bud can beat Micros with the Speed 300 and his with the XP magnet motor SC18 and standard everything.
The SC18 with a speed 300 FLIES.
Too hot for most drivers...if you do well with 12th scale then you probably could handle the Speed 300. It really makes the car about as quick as the 12th scale cars.

David
RAFster

Last edited by RAFster; 08-15-2002 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:06 AM
Micro-magnon

Hmmm.... I may have to look into these... only $80 right now...
Old 08-16-2002, 09:41 AM
Micro Master

Yep! $80 for the car, $20 for ball diff and then batteries at your discretion. Bud's packs of 6 cell 700AAC Nicads for $26.

The car is simple and rugged and a blast to race.

David
RAFster
Old 08-16-2002, 10:38 AM
Micro Black Belt

Send a message via AIM to doobie4u
Thanks for the info! One question, from your description, it sounds like a SC18 w/Speed 300 is faster than a hopped up Micro w/Speed 300. Is this correct? If so, why? Less friction in powertrain?
Old 08-16-2002, 10:59 AM
Micro Master

Clean living? American knowhow? (The SC18 is American made, Micro is Japanese made...)
I don't know exactly. Last weekend a bunch of SC18 drivers came down from Cleveland area to race with us. Rich campaigned a Speed 300/Big Block in his SC18. Paul had a hopped up Micro with Speed 300. He was being passed handily by the SC18 with Speed 300. Rich ended up smoking the Orion Big Block either in the main or before the main. End of the day Bud Bartos and Rich were 1st 2nd and Paul was 3rd by nearly a lap back...
The Micro with Big Block was awesome to watch scoot down the back. It was more incredible to see the SC18 even faster.
Bud was racing the XP magnet motor SC18 with an Atom.

Rich set a track record for lap times
with the Speed 300 and SC18.

Just so you know, Paul is an excellent driver. He took first place at the HPI Challenge in Chicago with the Micro.

He mentioned he was having trouble with push in the corners with the Speed 300/Big Block.
The Micro just can't keep the corner speeds like the SC18 can because of the inherent problem with power on understeer in a 4WD car.
BTW, the only difference I'm aware of on the Big Block versus the Speed 300 is the integrated capacitor set on the Big Block. Otherwise the motors are identical. That capacitor pack and label are pretty expensive... Given that Hobby Lobby in TN sells the Speed 300 for $15 and a Graupner Speed 300 capacitor ring circuit board for the motor for $3. Versus what for the Big Block $36?

David
RAFster
Old 08-16-2002, 11:06 AM
Micro Black Belt

Send a message via AIM to doobie4u
Just checked out the SC18 website. Seems like the difference could be 2WD vs. 4WD. From the Rich/Paul race results, was Rich drifting a bit through corners?

Also, this makes me wonder why the Micro is uncontrollable in 2WD mode.
Old 08-16-2002, 01:42 PM
Micro Master

I wonder if it is related to chassis balance. The SC18 is like a minature 12th scale in handling. With the proper tire compounds you hook up and groove very well around the corners. Maybe we should move this discussion to another thread or move it the the SC18 forums over at:
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/forumd...?s=&forumid=21

The SC18 guys up in Cleveland just lay waste to the competition thrown up by the HPI Micro in the Cleveland area as well as here. I think Paul H. is one of the better Micro drivers they have raced.

We have a pair of SC18s campaigning with our club, I'm one of them, and generally if we aren't having trouble with equipment we are finishing in the top brackets behind Paul.
(I've been having various troubles lately and not even finishing some races.)

David
RAFster