View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008, 10:03 AM

Send a message via MSN to Nerve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Winn View Post
One last personal note: Kavvika, you're obviously not a "newbie" in RC, and I've enjoyed reading your posts, but painting bodies (especially the Recoil) is very easy. They all come with window masks, and decals. One can of spray paint, and you're hooked up.
Keep up the great posts.

Yeah, painting a body isn't that hard really. I had never painted a body until this past summer and I so far have done two of them. Refer to my Micro RS4 thread and crawler thread in my sig.

All I can say is, clean clean clean the body. Make sure it is well soaped and well washed and dried before painting. I know I have seen many quotes that say painting a body is only as good as your prep work. I used green masking tape to tape off the two different colours I wanted to use in micro and it worked out with acceptable results. Make sure all corners are pressed fairly hard to hinder paint from sneaking in underneath.

Basically to paint, have old clothes on, a good mask, glasses to protect your eyes, a glove on your opposite hand of the can to hold the body and obviously make sure it is warm and you are outside before doing this. Once you start spraying keep the can about a foot away and keep the can moving around and you can even do spot checks with the sun to see where you may have missed some paint. Trust me, it might look like 100% coverage, hold it up to the sun and the background light coming behind it "paints" a different picture.

Then make sure the first coat is well cured before backing it or doing your second colour. Then make sure that coat is well dry before removing any masking and tape. Sticker it up and scratch it up.

Pactra rattle can paints work well and the same for Tamiya cans. The paint might flow a bit smooth from the Tamiya cans.

As for my Recoil and my girlfriends, they will be airbrushed by the LHS owner. I'am looking to do a cow themed body for her's and something flashy and bright and "racey" looking for my body. I would consider another body to just paint on my own at some time.

Last edited by Nerve; 10-25-2008 at 10:05 AM.