View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 01:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to Nerve
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavvika View Post
So what about the HXT motor weren't you happy about? You mention that the track isn't large enough to take advantage of the HXT, yet this fellow racer recommends a far smaller, higher kv motor in order to make your car faster? I thought you were racing on a small track that required more torque and precision?
It's not that I wasn't happy with the HXT motor, it was a honestly a really nice smooth clean setup. With a 22T it was a good suggestion. It's just that it was decided that performance could be increased using a higher kv motor. Honestly Kav, if there was video (which there isn't) of his dyn-9200kv & M25 combo vs the two setups I have tried, you would be blown away by it. That is the whole reason I got a Recoil..lol. Yeah I thought more torque and precision might have been the way to go as well.

It would be possible to have it brought to the track, but for someone to video tape it going around is around.

Quote:
First, let's assume the motor isn't defective. Start by adjusting the throttle endpoint on the Spekky remote to 125 and then reset the ESC. Then check all motor and battery connections for a cold solder joint. Also, make sure the motor screws aren't too long and contacting the rotor. I know I had that problem with my RS4-MT. If doing all that and swapping ESC's and/or battery packs doesn't solve the problem, I believe that means you have a defective motor.
I believe as of last night the TH was set to 120% both ways after a relearn. I know I had it at 150% with no improvement. Also there were no motor screws present in both motor cases, due to them being held in my hand.

Now the battery still might be an issue, however @ the track with a good known 100% working pack, there was no improvement. But that was pre-testing as of last night. However, I did plug in my cheapbatterypacks.com built MicroRS4 pack (known good), no different. Minus maybe a 100% fresh charge.

(too many variables I know)..

Quote:
Regarding Sidewinder settings, keep 'em default to rule that out. Make sure LVC is turned off, maybe the motor is pulling too much current and the battery voltage is dropping too low? You did say that it sounded slower free-spinning, but I'm just trying to think of every possibility.
I appreciate it. LVC was turned off the last time I looked and should also be off by defaults as well? Yeah, audible "motor noise" doesn't sound like it is even reaching close to is "potential". Where as the Castle 6800 sounded like it was going to shoot to the moon.

Quote:
I just can't think of anything else that would be causing the problem. But unless this race is going to be under 5 minutes, I can't see that small high-kv motor being happy at all. Would simply gearing up the HXT cure your need for speed? A 24 tooth M-LST pinion is the largest that will fit without dremeling the motor mount, but will require removal of the rear diff case to be installed.
Yeah all of our races are around 5minutes in length. I can try putting the HXT and a 23T pinion back in after all this tweaking I have done to see if performance is gained at all from previous setup.

I'll see what I can do to try and get a video clip made up using a digital camera...

Last edited by Nerve; 01-27-2009 at 01:28 PM.