View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 09:36 PM

any caw chassis users here?

any of you are using the CAW extended chassis? what do you like or dislike about it....

for me its the structure just behind the front gearbox, as in the servo tray and the front skidplate... it is very un-bashworthy because that area is a major weak point of the chassis, the only thing holding the front gearbox against the rest of the truck is the thin connection at the front skidplate and the servo tray... if you smash into something wheel first, and if you are using the stock servo tray , one screw will rip right out of it and your front skidplate will bend or break, this is mainly due to the gap that CAW has put just behind where the front gearbox goes, it only leaves a small section of aluminum to bear the stress, and even that aluminum isnt that strong... all the other skidplate designs reinforce the strength of the truck, the CAW design actually has to be reinforced with stuff like the hot racing servo tray, and a stronger chassis plate that goes under the shock tower...

overall im beginning to regret buying the CAW chassis, Frank from caw hasnt replied to any of my emails or ebay questions, it would be a completely different story if that gap in the front skidplate was absent... im contemplating buying a stock chassis (i didnt have enough space so i got rid of my stock parts) , or lightweight deck parts made out of graphite or cf with stock plastic arms... they are lighter so collisions will have less force, plus they dont bend like aluminum, and the plastic arms should help soak up some of the shock and protect the cf or graphite from shattering...not to mention you can use a cvd instead of the front center dogbone and forget about the worn drivecups....