YourMicro.com Forums

YourMicro.com Forums (http://yourmicro.com/forums/index.php)
-   Micro RS4 Motors (http://yourmicro.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   motor/pinion probs (http://yourmicro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19297)

bobert38 02-15-2007 10:56 PM

motor/pinion probs

I just got my rs4 today and I was driving it around in the garage. The first 2 packs went fine, but on the third pack I started to have problems. The car would go a ways then quit moving. If I let it sit for a few seconds then it would go again. I checked over all my connections and they were fine. The motor seemed to be running hot. Put my finger on it and it was so hot that I couln't keep my finger on it for more than a few secs. The pinion gear had somehowe slid off the motor shaft. I pushed the gear back on let the motor cool down and tried again. After a few min it was doing the same thing. Motor extremely hot and the gear slid off. Am I running the car to hard and over doing the motor causing it to get hot and melt the pinion? I was running it for about 10-15 min at a time doing laps around my garage, not wide open all the time, but I didn't stop and take any breaks untill the battery was dead either. Could this be solved simply by changing gears, or am I just expecting too much. Everything is stock except for a 750 nimh pack.

I didn't mean to write a whole page, I just wanted to be thourough with my explination. Thanks for any help in advance.

Roelof 02-16-2007 12:40 AM

When you are using a stock 180 motor than do not use the 13 pinion !
Running arround your garage a 9 or 10 pinion is good enough

Sliding off pinions is a common problem, get an aluminium or steel pinion. Those pinions can be tighten on the shaft with a screw. Another trick is to glue the pinion.

SteveM 02-16-2007 02:11 AM

I use the HPI 11 tooth metal pinion and this is ideal for my local indoor carpet track.

alfred 02-16-2007 07:43 AM

It also helps to put on a heatsink onto the motor.......:D

bobert38 02-16-2007 03:50 PM

I got 3 pinions in the kit. 9,10,13 The 10 is on there now.

Rs4-Drew 05-24-2007 08:17 PM

I am having the same problem, I am goin to hobbytown tomorrow to get a steel pinion. Kinda crappy that I can't run more than 5 min without the pinion slipping off. I guess that is how they make their money! Does anyone know if anyone makes the aluminum spurs for the micro Rs4? I use mine on pavement and all of the plastic looks like it is goin to take a beating. I only use it on smooth pavement, but every gravel can't be avoided.

alfred 05-24-2007 08:41 PM

Sorry but they dont make a spur gear in any kind of metal......:(

Rs4-Drew 05-24-2007 08:56 PM

Well they should!! hehe I searched allover and could not find one. I guess I will keep a stock replacement around incase It gets chewed up.

alfred 05-24-2007 08:58 PM

If i were you i would keep more then a couple as replacements, there only a couple of bucks so its nice to have some to keep in your pitbox.

Roelof 05-25-2007 12:27 AM

This way of mounting pinions is a common way to do it, the Mini/Micro-T has it, Tamiya Tamtech and also the loved Mini-Z.

The spur is not needed in metal unless you are using extreem motors.

Rs4-Drew 06-01-2007 09:21 PM

the problem I had was I run my Rs4 outdoors adn the gravels would sling up into the spur gear. I created a guard for it out of plastic, so it is ok now...

alfred 06-01-2007 10:34 PM

You need to post up a pic of this little mod....would love to see it man.:D

username: 07-17-2007 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfred (Post 196514)
You need to post up a pic of this little mod....would love to see it man.:D

me 2.... :D