YourMicro.com Forums

YourMicro.com Forums (http://yourmicro.com/forums/index.php)
-   Micro RS4 Gallery (http://yourmicro.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Open-wheel M18 (http://yourmicro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18534)

harnois 08-04-2006 10:04 AM

Open-wheel M18

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys. I also posted this in the M18 Gallery on one18th.com. I noticed a lot of the same names on there.

This uses a 1/18 x-citer buggy body bought from tower. I wanted to do something to show off the nice suspension mechanics of the M18. I really like how this turned out.

I don't know of any good quality open-wheel cars avialable that are this size. And we really wanted to go open-wheeled. We are really liking this solution. I'm also working on putting the same body on an RS4, but that has its own new set of challenges with fitting everything inside the body. Our group of 6 racers is all planning on making these so we can have some racing with all open-wheel cars.

harnois 08-04-2006 10:06 AM

pic 2

1 Attachment(s)
More pics

harnois 08-04-2006 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More Pics

harnois 08-04-2006 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last pic

jman413 08-04-2006 01:41 PM

that looks pretty awesome. did u have to cut the body in half down the middle or anything to make it that skinny??

harnois 08-04-2006 02:29 PM

No the body is about 3 - 1/2 inches wide whereas the rear tires set on the wide track setting are almost 4 - 1/4 inches from outside edge to outside edge. So that works out to about 3/8 inches of tire protruding out of the body on each side.

The real challenge is fitting all the electronics inside the tiny body. I had to fight for every millimeter. The servo mounting and steering linkage all had to be mofified to fit within the body. The motor is mounted above the drive shaft and uses up the ****pit area. It's all packed in tight - barely enough room left anywhere for the bundles of wires.

harnois 08-04-2006 02:32 PM

The starred out word is < c o c k p i t >.

Namuna 08-04-2006 02:47 PM

Sweet!

It looks like a hybrid between a buggy and a formula 1 :)

G-Shocker 08-04-2006 02:56 PM

So it's Buggula 1 ... :D

Looks interesting reminds me of Trackmania. Stuntracer Style.

alfred 08-04-2006 06:13 PM

It does look awesome and fresh....so have you tried it on the track yet....i wonder how it will handle.:p

harnois 08-04-2006 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic with no body, showing how the electronics were squeezed in there. The stock plastic chassis is used and I had to shave 3/16 of an inch off the left and right edge of it so it would fit inside the body.

harnois 08-04-2006 08:07 PM

Yes, I've tried it on the track and fortunately the handling is damn near perfect (and I am really picky).

All 3 m18s that I've run on my track have had issues with off-throttle oversteer. We tried a lot of setups to solve it and it got better, but the only way we ever truly solved it was adding weight to the back of the car. But who wants to carry extra weight around?

Now with this new setup I guess everything is moved back enough that it is perfectly balanced as is. Everything is moved back slightly, not really a lot, but it is surprising how much difference it made. Plus all the weight is about as centralized as it can get which theoretically improves manuverability.

With open wheels, ya pay a bigger price for grazing the wall or another car.

alfred 08-04-2006 08:32 PM

Nice man....but how do you keep the body on since i dont see any body posts......do you keep the body on with velcro.

jman413 08-04-2006 08:39 PM

wow bro u need some 2/3a's. those aa look HUGE!!! you'd have no problem at all with space. still a cool car though

harnois 08-04-2006 08:58 PM

There is one screw that goes through the body at the front into the center hole on top of the differential housing. At the back, same thing, except if you look carefully there is a spare bit of plastic attached to that hole as a body post. Another screw goes through the back into the top of that body post. The screws aren't as fast as clips, but they look cleaner and there are only 2 so it's not bad.