PDA

View Full Version : Motor decision !!!

ayougo
09-02-2003, 06:51 AM
Hello, with the huge selection of motors that this kit can take, im baffeld as to which motor i shall get. I was looking at a Reedy Ti modified 14 turn double but then that motor would require more maintence because the armature is softer and would have to be lathed. will a 27 turn Reedy MVP or Green Machine 3 propel the car to similar speeds that the more expensive and higher turn motor will with a 30 tooth pinion? If i get a stock motor i wont have to lathe it neer as much and the esp i purchase doesnt have to be some quantum pro. Please, i just need some info on what some of you are runin and wheather or not i should go with the 14 or the stock motor. If the speeds are similar due to the physical imposibility of the gear ratios then id rather pocket the difference..........or shall i just do it and see what happens. HELP:confused:

BLiND
09-02-2003, 07:06 AM
http://yourmicro.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8104

ayougo
09-02-2003, 12:38 PM
So i take it that a stock motor or a 19 turn spec motor will outrun a lenherd brushless setup or any brushless setup for the micro or do i need to kick some ass a slap a 12 in there like i did my bolink.

aktiondan
09-02-2003, 02:13 PM
A stock motor is your best option for a number of reasons:

1. Longest runtimes. Stock motors pull much less current then their low-turn counterparts yielding longer runtime vs. charge time. You can see anything from 15-25 minutes with stock motor and a good esc.

2. Gearing options is wide open. A stock motor can actually run a 35T pinion with good results. But it can also drive a 27T pinion with ease. I wouldn't recommend anything larger than a 27T for mod motors. Anything larger and the gear is much too tall, the tire spinout factor is much too high, and the heat is much too great (for both the motor and the cells), and your runtime could be as low as 5 minutes. And that's just no fun!

3. Good stock motors are just as cheap as budget modified motors. But honestly when it comes right down to it, any 540 regardless of the special magnets, or fancy kind of windings, is going to be plenty of power for a Micro.

I believe you get the best performance out of the stock motor, just because you will be capable of using it to its fullest potential. If you must go modified, then get a 19T and no lower. That way you'll spend more time driving and less time worrying about whether or not you need to trim your com every 4.5 minutes of driving.

Also don't forget, than just because your stock motor has a fixed 24 degree timing, doen't mean you can't advance the timing a couple of extra degrees to crank out a few more "illegal" RPM's out of the motor. Just cut the tab in the endbell and crank it a few extra clicks. Don't get carried away though, the RPM's do come at a price - the tradeoff is less torque. But since most 540's have too much torque as it is for a Micro, more RPM and less torque would do you some good. Keep the pinion small in this case so you don't overgear your overadvanced motor. :)

And last but not least, Chris and I have had good sucess with the Reedy MVP, Firehawk, and P2k Pro motors. Others have had good success with the Green Machine, TO Core, and other stock motors mentioned on the people's setups thread.

Good luck in your decision.

Dan
www.aktionrc.com