PDA

View Full Version : Why!?

ricer4life48
07-19-2003, 07:25 PM
how come now people r starting to sell there 540 rtr micros? why not in the begining u guys could have juss gone brushless?! since u guysspent all of that money on the 540 micro to get it running and everything y dont u go brushless?

quietfly
07-19-2003, 11:04 PM
I suppose there are alots of reasons why we made the kit. one big one was that people swore to Dan and I that it "just couldn't be done" and "we'll never get it to work" and that "it'lll just be another piece of crud garage conversion that people will laugh at"

Well, We proved them wrong :)

as for people buying them, there are also a few (reasons)

on the practical side 540 motors themselves are tons cheaper, and there are litterally hundreds of types available.

Same goes for 1/10 scale esc's they are very attainable, and relatively in-expensive.

performance wise, this one is tough, but i'll go out on a limb here and say bang for the buck the 540 conversion is less expensive than the full blown brushless conversions i've seen.

Speed wise i think its a toss up depending on the length of the track and gearing of the motors, however i will say this, i'd be much more willing to overgear a 540, kill it via heat, and replace it for $25.00, than do the same thing to a brushless motor ( i know alot of brushless motors and esc's have thermal shut down modes so this would not necessarily happen, but then you'd lose the drag race, and its all about winning isn't it :) )

Availablilty wise, 540 motors and 1/10scale esc's are much easier to get than their brushless counterparts. 99 percent of the RC car stores in the country will have some sort of eletric motor's and esc's available.

You have to admit it just plain looks cool having the 540 can sitting there looking all mean and nasty.

Last but not least "Theres no subsitute for cubic inches" :D

As for people selling them, well like anything you do after a while the novelty wears out. This does not mean people enjoyed them any less while they were using them, just that circumstances changed and they are moving on.

Just my 2cents ( or $27,563.24 CDN)

-Chris

dvessel
07-20-2003, 12:05 AM
I got the brushless and I can imagine what the 540 owners are going through. It's hard to ride that thing without destroying it. For instance, I just ran my micro and smacked it into a curb and flipped it. There is so much power that it's hard to gain control. It's not really practical. Every run is going to cost them with tires and spare parts. It's very cool but it adds up.

A more practical solution is to stick a BL on a 10th scale which I might do in the future.

BLiND
07-20-2003, 03:04 AM
I dunno, I love mine, couldn't imagine getting rid of it, lol.

had it out at the track today where they converted it into an oval (big flat oval, lol)

MAN WAS IT FUN :D

I was hitting close to 50 down the straights and rolling through the turns at each end, then getting the car mostly sideways as I got back into the power down the next straight.

heh, the car doesn't straighten out until I let off the throttle for the next turn, took me about 15 laps to get the hang of driving the car without smacking something on the straight.

something interesting to note: the car drive better WITH the mustang body on it, then without ;) Even without a rear wing, the car is actually really stable, even though I was passing all the other cars on the track while on the straight, lol...

troll
07-20-2003, 10:14 AM
Why? Are people selling their 540's already? I haven't noticed, but then again, I rarely look at the Micro Market.

I haven't destroyed mine yet. Sure my foams are chunked to hell. But the only casualty so far is one knuckle. And I ran straight into the metal beam in the warehouse again for that one. And at only half speed. Would have broke on a regular micro, in fact I did the same thing with my penguin/speed300 setup :)

If you break yours every run and keep running into stuff, calm down a little, and learn some throttle control (or self control maybe! :) Mines been the most reliable setup so far. And currently the only rc I have running at this moment! Sure I haven't messed with it a whole lot. Maybe 2 runs in the last month (since getting a running motorcycle again!) but still.

I hear brushless is a pain in the ass, and expensive. I already had many 540 parts and motors and stuff to get this running in no time. What's another couple hundred bucks to get another running micro. I spent that much on the first generation (not including kit price!) and only made 100 back on it.

Troll

ricer4life48
07-20-2003, 11:28 AM
OUCH! wow some nice stories hear bout all of ur 540 micros, but i wanna build up the ultimate drag micro that no one can touch me here in vallejo( since the fastest is the 10 cell hpi pro esc micro wit a 300 motor, but now he put something eles that ill juss show u in a movie later that kicks @ss!), and so if i had a bl setup(juss the motor and esc) then no one, and i mean NO ONE! can touch me! but the prob is, is wat u guys r saying. the cost. im not trying to make this car handle if i had a bl setup. i juss need it to go straight and the steering servo to not glitch when it gets too far. thats all. but juss last fri. i saw on these boards 4 people selling there micro, and one guy is parting it out. so i guess they juss got tired of replacing the thing or either juss needed some money. i dunno! well i am still looking for a cheap but good quality bl setup, but i was going to buy it at united rc but the esc is the only thing there waiting on. i need to find a good place to buy thats under $150.

dvessel
07-20-2003, 04:34 PM
My recent problems occurred because of bad tire setup. I've learned from it but constantly experimenting with how it performs comes at a cost. And yes troll, I have plenty of self control. Not sure what you mean by BL being a pain in the ass besides availability & cost.

Ricer, I'd go with a 540 if it's mainly for drag. The Castle Creations controller & Razor motor hasn't yet proven itself in a car. Just because it's BL doesn't mean it will out do anything. With a 540 you have a lot of options with motors that will give you the performance you want. An advantage on the BL is the size. The CG can stay low and you have more room for the tires but there will still be quite a wait for the car soft.

ricer4life48
07-20-2003, 09:31 PM
i would like to go 540 but i want to make my drag micro llook like a micro witout making it a 17th scale micro( wit pan chassis and stuff) i know if i put a pan itll hold more, but then it juss makes the car heavy! juss like when i juss recently built my 400 micro on an arm chassis, it was heavy for sure, but wit the bl setup, its going to be fast witout sacraficing alot of weight issues that the 400 and 540 micros have. and i would like to keep mt setups now, to a narrow setting instead of putting it into a pan chassis. so if i got a bl setup i wouldnt want to put it on a pan chassis cuz to me i dont really need all that space and handeling when i drag. if i get a bl i might juss be racing it on the track not too much, cuz its gonna have lots of power, but i would like to still have it instead of a 540 micro(no offense dan and quietfly) cuz it wont make the micro all that heavy and also i know there r alot of options for 540 motors, but for me, id rather get the bl for its size and speed. do u guys understand this? if not please tell me.

BLiND
07-20-2003, 09:49 PM
use sentences and paragraphs :D

hookedonmicros
07-21-2003, 09:27 PM
just look at the thing, why would you not wan't one, or two? Its all about size, bigger motor, bigger batterys, more power bigger pinnions, not to mention the cool looking carbon fiber chassis :O)

Pipeous
07-21-2003, 10:00 PM
I love the add on the forum front...

Ask any woman size matters hahahahahahahahahahaha

Great add guys. I nearly cried reading that....

ELF
07-22-2003, 09:40 AM
540's rock. There is simply no substitute for cubic inches and sheer, tire-shredding wattage. If you're building a drag car, I would bet the 540 would be a better choice. Sure, it's heavier but the weight would add some extra stability.

Cost for cost, there's no comparison between BL and 540 -- the 540 takes it for availability and overall lower cost. As more and more brushless systems move into the car scene, economics of scale will come into play and likely drive BL prices down.

I've currently got 3 micros: Standard w/ normal motor to race against my friends here at work, 540 Hybrid, and a rolling chassis just waiting for the CC ESC + Razor BL motor. By far the most expensive is the BL setup. Never considered selling the 540, though.

dvessel
07-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Yeah, size does matter.. Smaller the better. :eek: I agree about the weight though. It will help with traction. As long as it's kept low it will do more good than bad.

The CC controller would actually compare favorably price wise. It's just the motor that will cost more initially. In the long run the BL will win with virtually no maintenance. But by then, I guess everyone would have sole their 540. :eek: ;)

For drag, I'd go with the 540 because the BL that's available is 'sensorless'. The very fact that the controller has no idea which phase the motor is in during a dead stop is going to give it a slight delay. In drag, I think most 540 configs will win because of this fact. But put in on a track with the best placed electronics & batts the BL will win given that the drivers are of equal skill. -just my opinion. :)

Pipeous
07-23-2003, 07:21 PM
Hy dude, I dig the pic you have hidden in the sig. Those tires look awesome there dvessel

dvessel
07-23-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Pipeous
Hy dude, I dig the pic you have hidden in the sig. Those tires look awesome there dvessel

Here's some more for ya. :)

1 (http://www.dvessel.com/other/rc/beta1.jpg)2 (http://www.dvessel.com/other/rc/2003-07-17_13-12-30.jpg)3 (http://www.dvessel.com/other/rc/2003-07-17_13-13-15.jpg)4 (http://www.dvessel.com/other/rc/2003-07-17_13-10-49.jpg)

Those are going to be my last set of foams. Going rubber from now on.