PDA

View Full Version : Equal Wheel Offset Trick

aktiondan
07-18-2003, 05:23 PM
As many of you know, in order to fit a 540 motor into a Micro we had to significantly push out the left wheel to accomodate the long motor's can. We include in the kit a 3mm spacer which goes between the stock purple hub and the bearing to help everything fit. Then some people complained that the wheel stuck out too far, or that it stuck out further on the left than it did on the right.

Well as it turns out there is a way to eliminate the 3mm spacer all together and create equal offset of the wheels. Which in turn will also sink the wheels in better under most bodies. I don't know that this works with all motors, but with the Reedy MVP it works perfectly.

The trick is to use the little 1mm HPI spacers that are included with each set of inner wheel drums. Put one on the diff side and one on the driver's side. Then as described in the instruction manual, the wheel drums must be cut downas far as possible. However we've never really been too adamant about how far to cut these down, as the 3mm spacer pretty takes care of any slop in the cutting. But if you Dremel down the wheel drum so far as to almost cut right through it, you can create more room for the motor without having to push the hub out any further on the axle.

You can't stop there however, next step is to Dremel the endbell of the motor itself. Now don't get too crazy though. On the MVP, all I needed to Dremel was a small portion of the heat sink fins and I was able to get the motor to fit.

Now when everything is installed, the spacing between the endbell and the wheels will be about .5mm, which as long as they aren't touching, should be plenty.

Here's some pics. I'll be throwin this up on the site at www.aktionrc.com in the Tips section in more detail for those interested.

-Dan

http://www.danmarx.org/micro/540/equaloffset.jpg

SpoolinVW
07-18-2003, 10:33 PM
Hrmm, that is an interesting idea....I'll have to try it out once all the parts come in and I get the thing built!

On a side note, my motor plate doesn't seem to want to get "tight" against the axle housing when both screws are in place, and everything is cut to fit properly...

Would you recommend any glue or epoxy to attach it?

troll
07-20-2003, 10:19 AM
Those complaining just need to quit crying :P

Actually, if you ask me, it's a good thing it sticks out more. The weight offset from the motor that far over in the car makes it a lot more prone to rollover in that direction. I would think that the wheel being offset further out reduces the occurance.

As far as pulling or handling characteristics, slipping or pulling diffs from the torque are more likely suspects.

Just mine 2%

Troll