PDA

View Full Version : The 540 crash thread

ELF
06-14-2003, 12:32 AM
Ok all you speed demons: All of you have probably lost it while doing 50+ mph. Come on, be honest! You probably hit a small stone, a crack in the pavement, or something you swear just wasn't there when you looked. Time to tell all :D :D

Crash:
I believe the best "crash" I've had was hitting a small dip in the pavement -- the car vaulted into the air, came down, turned sideways and managed to keep from rolling. That is until it hit the ramp-like curb on the side of the street. Then it came 3 feet off the ground flying sideways, and hit the neighbor's garbage can about 7 feet away. There was a resounding THUNK.

Speed:
Running a stocker 540 motor w/ 35T pinion. I had been doing measurements for speed runs (the stopwatch method) and I got good measurement on a 50mph run (+- about .5mph). Crash happened two runs afterwards.

Damage:
Other than a shredded tire and out-of-place front wheels, only a few scratches on the underside. The body managed to take almost all the impact right on the top. Gotta compliment AKTION for building it strong!

troll
06-14-2003, 01:29 AM
That just about explains mine. I got it squirrely and bumped a tall square curb at pretty much top speed, rolled, flipped, slid, who knows what else, landed back on the wheels and pretty much kept going.

That's not quite as cool as when I was driving the fusion at about 65mph, got crooked, hit the smaller round curb in front of the house, got airborne flipping, hit the large garbage can that was still at the curb knocking it about 10 feet, flipped one more time landing back on the wheels back in the street going the right way, if only a few mph slower. Not that was neat :)

Hardly a scratch on it.

Troll

Pipeous
06-14-2003, 10:53 AM
I only got about 5 mins on my first charge and I hit a rock/pebble and it launched about 7 feet up and came down rear lef wheel on the curb and bent the axle. I finally, after 2 days of hunting, got a stock axle but found they don't work with a gpm rear ball dif so out came the bodyworking tools and the tap and die had to straighten the old one out. Works again and I made the rest of the charge without furhter incident now. I even ran it on the indoor track but that was before fixng the axle and it was a front wheel drive micro for about 12 minutes.

ELF
06-14-2003, 11:07 AM
Ah ha! So that's how that rear axle got bent. I figured there was a story to it.

eclipse321
06-14-2003, 11:13 PM
I've done a couple stupid things with mine so far but the kit took every bit of abuse with no damage.

First day I drove it I hit a manhole cover at top speed and did about 10 barrel rolls then about another 50 feet skidding on the roof. The only thing that happened was the black antenna tube fell off.

Second stupid thing a few days later, I hit the same manhole cover but this time it skidded to the right, straight in to a storm drain. It was just dangling over the back edge as I ran to get it. As soon as I got there it fell about 25 feet to the bottom. Luckally the grate lifted off so with some help I got it out. No damage at all, just really muddy.

Last thing I did, I was just practicing at my local track which has an outdoor banked oval. There were maybe 5 1/10 scale touring cars running also. The micro had no problem keeping up but after a few laps I hit something on the track and lost control at top speed. I ended up skidding backwards into the boards and ripping the rear axel completely out of the rear housing

Jaminak
06-17-2003, 11:49 AM
I hit a curb in a parking lot going, well, fast. We knew it was bad when it hit. Here's some pictures:

Rear wheel steering?
http://www.bernanernanuh.com/micro/540/P6140008.jpg

Ti axle anyone?
http://www.bernanernanuh.com/micro/540/P6140012.jpg

At least I know that I made some strong wheels.
http://www.bernanernanuh.com/micro/540/P6140013.jpg

It actually only broke the rear bulkhead and that left wheel. Held up good I would say. Earlier that day I slid sideways into a a parked car tire - that tweaked my whole Aktion R/C chassis real good. After I loosened all the screws the chassis went right back into shape. :D