PDA

View Full Version : Metal!

TGkevin
05-12-2003, 09:22 PM
what about a alum. rear gear diff?? huh huh?

That_Darn_Punk
05-12-2003, 09:44 PM
An aluminum spur gear?

BLiND
05-13-2003, 06:32 AM
sure why not....
while we're dreaming, why not make it titanium so it doesn't WEIGH 5 POUNDS!

heh, rotating mass has what, 70% greater effect on the acceleration of a car than static mass? something to think about ;)

personally I've never stripped a spur gear, although I've broken 4 HPI axles...

ELF
05-13-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by BLiND
sure why not....

heh, rotating mass has what, 70% greater effect on the acceleration of a car than static mass? something to think about ;)

Hey man! That's a lot of axles to break. . . ;)

Quite right about the rotating mass -- simple physics. Which is why on race cars you want to have the least amount of mass on the wheels, drive train, etc. Affects handling, too (when you're talking about heavy wheels vs. light) though not to the same degree.

Titanium would be "nice" but expensive -- hence plastic makes a good middle ground between weight and durability at a fraction of the cost. As an added bonus, plastic has a sort of self-lubricating quality that metal does not.

dvessel
05-13-2003, 11:27 AM

How's the titanium axle holding? I'm sure your a lot harder on your micro than me. Just curious. Mine's okay..

MicroChoady
05-13-2003, 11:41 AM
sure why not....

Blind, I think I have seen you break about everything on your Micro at least once:p

BLiND
05-13-2003, 12:43 PM
yea, but that titanium axle is the only thing that held solid last race....

still haven't figured out the stupid speed control problem, LMAO...

nismoskyline08
05-13-2003, 04:25 PM
my spur gear broke from drifting with a big block

TGkevin
05-13-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by ELF

Hey man! That's a lot of axles to break. . . ;)

Quite right about the rotating mass -- simple physics. Which is why on race cars you want to have the least amount of mass on the wheels, drive train, etc. Affects handling, too (when you're talking about heavy wheels vs. light) though not to the same degree.

Titanium would be "nice" but expensive -- hence plastic makes a good middle ground between weight and durability at a fraction of the cost. As an added bonus, plastic has a sort of self-lubricating quality that metal does not.

hey stop rouning my dream!!!!!!