PDA

View Full Version : woo hoo! 540 time...

Gpark112
05-12-2003, 01:39 PM
well my 540 conversion just came in. im forcing myself not to start yet, before i have to go run errands. thanks again dan and chris! anyone else get theirs in?

TGkevin
05-12-2003, 02:15 PM
i did get one but hey can we see some pics?

tunastckr
05-12-2003, 02:22 PM
test

tunastckr
05-12-2003, 02:23 PM
I hope my 540 conversion comes today!!! I just ran out and bought a trinity motor !!!:D

Gpark112
05-12-2003, 02:30 PM
haven't started yet so heres a layout pic...

troll
05-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Yikes, seems like that has a lot of flex on the rear pod. No wonder they recommend the VCS.

Troll

salito123
05-12-2003, 02:52 PM
got mine today as well, cant wait to get it home.......oh wait i have a fried esc...

tunastckr
05-12-2003, 02:55 PM
What kind of ESC do you guys recomend?

That_Darn_Punk
05-12-2003, 03:07 PM
Futaba MC230CR is like $45-$50 or an LRP which are around $80-$140.

gixerguy
05-12-2003, 03:15 PM
i got mine too...

Can't wait till Saturday to put it together....

Dinzdale40
05-12-2003, 06:47 PM
I got mine too. I will be using a 50 buck GMV3R, it's pretty small and should handle this conversion with ease.

Jaminak
05-12-2003, 08:54 PM
I got mine! This thing is Aktion Packed!!! I hope I don't die.....

tunastckr
05-12-2003, 09:50 PM
very impressive ...cant wait to test that baby out ...Ive got a feelling Im about to break even more @#$!!..(recently busted Penguin LM chassis) :( :p

rcwyant
05-12-2003, 10:49 PM
yea...that looks nice Dan...i like the CD ROM add on! Very nice touch. NO OTHER MFGR. DOES THAT! Well micro world

I agree with the rear pod looking a little "fragile" Time will tell!

I want to see some pics of it all put together!

BLiND
05-13-2003, 01:40 AM
punks...I didn't get mine yet...

J Smith
05-13-2003, 07:26 AM
lets see some more pics,

biotch.

:)

salito123
05-13-2003, 10:21 AM
half way there

salito123
05-13-2003, 10:22 AM
another angle

tunastckr
05-13-2003, 12:29 PM
will my GMV4R SPEED CONTROL WORK WITH THIS CONVERSION ?:confused:

BLiND
05-13-2003, 12:41 PM
sure will, any 1/10th scale designed esc like that will do :D

aktiondan
05-13-2003, 01:22 PM
Cool CP-1300's. I haven't had a chance to try the 1300's, but I imagine the only thing you will lose is some runtime, but the benefit of the reduced weight should make your top-end speed something remarkable.

The kits look great everyone! Good job with the 'all the difficult' mods. I was hoping it wouldn't be that hard and I hope the instruction manual was detailed enough and descriptive enough to cover everything. You don't even want to know how many hours that took. :p

-Dan

salito123
05-13-2003, 01:49 PM
i didn't get an instrruction anything.....

i used your picture for guidance :D

Dinzdale40
05-13-2003, 08:45 PM
you didn't reciever the cd?

aktiondan
05-13-2003, 08:54 PM
salito123, so did you not get the CD, or you just didn't use the CD? I'm scratching my head wondering how we missed packing you the instruction manual as we double checked every kit we sent out. Let me know if you need a copy.

-Dan

troll
05-13-2003, 09:24 PM
http://mochunk.net/rccars/gfx/micrors4/540micro1.jpg

http://mochunk.net/rccars/gfx/micrors4/540micro2.jpg

http://mochunk.net/rccars/gfx/micrors4/540micro3.jpg

As far as I can friggin' get right now. Still waiting on a rear diff, a belt, dual link, and some other odds and ends from tesllc, it's been over 2 weeks since I ordered, only the front diff and dogbones came already. Grrr...

Umm, I thought this came with ALL necessary hardware, then is it just me or is there only one motor mounting screw? The only two screws I have left are for the vcs mounts that I am not currently using.

I don't have a diff, so I can't mod that, I haven't done the wheels yet, I have to rebuild half the battery pack since I didn't have any proper battery braids... Ugh. Grr. so much for being the first person to order, and probably the last up and running.

BTW, does anyone know if the aftermarket diffs come with the lock collar on the left side? Umm, I sold my old car as a 90% rolling chassis, with the ball diff in it, so I have a diff on the way but not that sleeve with the set screw in it, am I screwed and have to go find another one?!

Troll

aktiondan
05-13-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by troll
Umm, I thought this came with ALL necessary hardware, then is it just me or is there only one motor mounting screw? The only two screws I have left are for the vcs mounts that I am not currently using. Troll The motor plate attaches with two screws, one of them being the stock kit screw that came with your original micro and screws in from the backside of the axle carrier. Did you sell that piece too??? :(

As far as the Hub-L piece, I know that the HPI diff does not include it, neither does it even include the axle. But you can pick up one from Tower. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAYS9&P=7 My LHS has them from time-to-time, but that's a long shot. I don't know which, if any, ball diffs come with that piece. The GH one doesn't, b/c I bought that one once and it didn't come with it.

Don't worry troll, you'll get it all together. I don't think anyone has even run theirs yet, so you won't be the last.

-Dan

troll
05-13-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by aktiondan
The motor plate attaches with two screws, one of them being the stock kit screw that came with your original micro and screws in from the backside of the axle carrier. Did you sell that piece too??? :(

As far as the Hub-L piece, I know that the HPI diff does not include it, neither does it even include the axle. But you can pick up one from Tower. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAYS9&P=7 My LHS has them from time-to-time, but that's a long shot. I don't know which, if any, ball diffs come with that piece. The GH one doesn't, b/c I bought that one once and it didn't come with it.

Don't worry troll, you'll get it all together. I don't think anyone has even run theirs yet, so you won't be the last.

-Dan

nonono, actually the motor to the plate. The mounting of the plate to the pod I got (even if I did 'drill' it a little crooked and poked the big screw through :(, so it's only held on by that, no biggie, I can get another pod if it doesn't hold.)

Troll

NightCruiser
05-13-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by BLiND
punks...I didn't get mine yet...

he he he he he he he he he he he

I got mine yesterday....

Wait a minute why am i laughing, your kit should be the first one to be send in. I want my 540 pack....:D

BLiND
05-13-2003, 10:37 PM
didn't get mine today either :(

damn postal nazi's :p

Gpark112
05-13-2003, 10:41 PM
for anyone who didn't build their kit yet, i found a slight issue with my setup. since the kit was designed to support a dual link with a 81 mg, my 225 mg was slightly too big to work properly with everything. the only thing i had to do was not use the rubber washers under the upper bulkhead. other than that, everything looks great. here's my rolling chassis...

NightCruiser
05-13-2003, 11:34 PM
I snagged a problem. A Mercedes-Benz CLK DTM won't fit, the body isn't wide enough to clear the back of the battery holder. I have to trim the body down before you paint it.:(

paul m
05-14-2003, 12:37 AM
got mine today. thanks dan and chris. assembled the chassis, but im missing a screw, the one that connects the motor plate to the pod. the kit looks good though.:D cant wait to try to get it to run...probably in a month because of all the extra parts i need to build it.:(

aktiondan
05-14-2003, 12:39 AM
I've been running that body for the last couple weeks and yes, you do have to cut a small notch in the side to clear the battery rails. As we mentioned, we seriously tried our best to make the majority of bodies fit, but ultimately in the end, we knew there would have to be some minor mods made to some bodies to get them to fit properly. I really couldn't justify changing the whole design to accommodate one or two bodies. Because the second you try and redesign for a different body, it changes everything you just changed when you tried to fit the first body. And so the story goes throughout most of the design.

Let me just say that engineering a 540 into this tiny little car was not easy. The dimensioning of every little piece had to be perfect. So each carbon fiber piece and every little cut and every post is the size it is for a reason. I strongly believe that once you guys get to actually drive your Hybrids, you won't care if the wheel sticks out 1" on the side and your body is covered in holes! :) Thank goodness that is not the case.

-Dan

Oh and as far as the 225 goes, I suspected you might not be able to use the washers because according to the spec it is taller than the 81. However the intent of the washers is simply to try and move the upper deck down lower on top of the center two cells to keep them in their place.

It was actually sheer coincidence that the upper a-arm mount in the stock position sits almost exactly at the right height to attach to the upper deck and act as battery rail. Two birds with one stone kind of scenario. Even though it is somewhat unconventional to mount the washers underneath the a-arm mount (and not really necessary) they did help keep the center cells in their slots better. If you end up not using the washers, you may want to put something else between the upper deck and the cells (tape or the soft side of Velcro) to help apply more pressure to those center cells.

quietfly
05-14-2003, 02:33 AM
i figured i'd post some pics of my newest setup using the 2.0 chassis.

bottom 1 (http://www.knology.net/~quietfly2/540%20comp%20pics/20chassis%20bottom1.jpg)

bottom 2 (http://www.knology.net/~quietfly2/540%20comp%20pics/20chassis%20bottom2.jpg)

2.0 done 1 (http://www.knology.net/~quietfly2/540%20comp%20pics/20chassis%20done1.jpg)

2.0 done 2 (http://www.knology.net/~quietfly2/540%20comp%20pics/20chassis%20done2.jpg)

-Chris

Jaminak
05-14-2003, 09:02 AM
I'll be using a CLK GTR. I test fit it and it wirks great. Now all I need is batteries....

http://www.bernanernanuh.com/micro/540/P5130003.jpg

hookedonmicros
05-22-2003, 12:16 PM
rolling rolling rolling, , can't wait to get these wheels rolling

hookedonmicros
05-22-2003, 12:19 PM
rolling, rolling rolling , can't wait to get these wheels rolling

hookedonmicros
05-22-2003, 12:20 PM
rolling, rolling, rolling , can't wait to get these wheels rolling

BLiND
05-22-2003, 11:18 PM
man I need to get mine running!

all mine is right now is an expensive battery jig that looks cool :D

tunastckr
05-22-2003, 11:57 PM
hint hint , just kiddin Kevin !!:D
I still have to get another 150 mm belt & a set of knuckles and ill be set !! almost ready to break something guys !!:p As if this hobby isnt expensive enough !! (but damn addicting)

ricer4life48
05-24-2003, 12:58 AM
man i still havent bought mine yet!!!! i need $90!!! for the kit and then some for the regualr stock parts for the micro!!!!! man! this sucks bad for me!

BLiND
05-24-2003, 01:02 AM
get a job at mcdonalds ;-)

Intelligentsia
05-24-2003, 01:54 AM
Have my chassis up and running. Handles relatively well on a high grip surface. Speed is nothing that I haven't seen before with my micro however. I will be changing this soon when I reduce the turns a bit. I think that I will drop down to a 14 turn quad if I can find one.

quietfly
05-24-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Intelligentsia
Have my chassis up and running. Handles relatively well on a high grip surface. Speed is nothing that I haven't seen before with my micro however. I will be changing this soon when I reduce the turns a bit. I think that I will drop down to a 14 turn quad if I can find one.

Intelligentsia,
What set up are you running (motor/pinion)? I'm just curious.

-Chris

Pipeous
05-24-2003, 09:14 AM
I got my kit very fast. I set it aside until yesterday morning (payday). I went on ebay thursday night and bought some stuff from HI_IQ (local person) like the gpm rear ball dif (can't get a stock axle around here anywhere so that is covered there), bearings, front shock set and aluminum knuckles. Then I went to the hobby shop and got a gh front ball dif 2, vcs, steering kit, L thingy, long body clips, and about all I needed. I am hunting down batteries now. And I have the Rad Lambo a buddy gave me (a bit of orange peel in the paint so he was gonna toss it) man is it wide. Should work fine. Does the SSR work? I love that body. I just wish I could get a hummer or jeep so it would match the tmaxx (the ssr on a tmaxx sucks. the center is way too narrow. On my emaxx the door jams sit on the batteries.)

I just want to say the instructions are amazing. You guys did an outstanding job there. I just looked them over yesterday and I don't think you have to worry about anybody ot understanding them. They are idiot proof. I will prove that and build my car haha.
Great pics show exactly what is needed.

I took my kit to the shop to show the guys racing indoors. Friday nights is indoors at the track I put vid up. I think there are a few guys that will be wanting to order one. Tomorrow I race off road but next week we race on road and the 540 is being entered into the unlimited mod class haha. And there are guys that think the 300 powered micro will keep up still hahaha

Thanks, this is one of the nicest kits I have ever bought

SLEK
05-24-2003, 10:15 AM
Last I check Apollo had the rear shaft.

Hey, did you buy off HI_IQ on Ebay? Damn, I wish they would offer local pickup, I really don't want to pay $3-4USD for shipping when I can just go get it myself.

Intelligentsia
05-24-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by quietfly

Intelligentsia,
What set up are you running (motor/pinion)? I'm just curious.

-Chris

I am running the Trinity Revenge of the Monster Pro with a 30 tooth pinion.

quietfly
05-24-2003, 11:35 AM

I am running the Trinity Revenge of the Monster Pro with a 30 tooth pinion.

Cool.
I just like know the diffent combos people are trying.

thanks

-Chris

Intelligentsia
05-24-2003, 12:14 PM
Hey Quietfly what is the lowest turn motor that you have tried with success?

troll
05-24-2003, 01:12 PM
Hey Quietfly what is the lowet turn motor that you have tried with success?

I don't know about them, But I've ran an 11t double through it, with a lot of timing in it, And it's crazy fast. Was ballooning the kit tires so bad it became unstable. I haven't tried it with foams on, but I bet it's great.

I really don't know how any motor will be 'unseccessful'. It may just make it difficult to crank the throttle, that's all. I say if you have a steady trigger finger, the ESC to handle it, go for it.

Troll

Intelligentsia
05-25-2003, 12:21 AM
A motor which becomes difficult to drive in a straight line will be driven without sucess (in my opinion).

quietfly
05-25-2003, 01:11 AM
So far b/c of my crazy work schedule i have not run anything else besides my p2k pro in the micro. But i do have a 14turn double waiting to be mounted up probably when the rain stops. ( we've had 5 straight days of drizzle and storms here)

My theory is for competitive racing (meaning on carpet tracks ) you'll probably be best off using a competitive stock 27 or 19 turn motor and a 29-31tooth pinion. this should yeild the most controlable "short" (with this car anything less than150 feet center line) track combo.

For all out speed runs, the choices get alot less precise. the stanard rules for motors and pinions still apply, meaning if you use an improper gear ratio, you'll see poor results. I would look for motors that have a nice flat torque range so that you still have some low end acceleration.
If you are using rear foams all around, your rims are glued well, and you use moderation while accelerating, you should be able to easily top her out over a long stretch with out control issues.

Foams make a HUGE difference.
I'm pretty sure foams will give you enough traction at high speeds ( in straigh lines atleast) to continue to accelerate until you top out or she runs out of room.

-Chris

Intelligentsia
05-25-2003, 02:55 AM
Well, If anybody is interested in checking out some pics of my 540 micro you can check them out HERE (http://homepage.mac.com/sunnysc/PhotoAlbum2.html)

Enjoy

BLiND
05-25-2003, 02:57 AM
that's a mighty nice battery pack you got in there, who made it? ;)

do you have a spare of those trinity antenna mounts? my LHS never has them...

Intelligentsia
05-25-2003, 02:59 AM
sure don't sir.

I have an OFNA one though. It is a bit more beefy but nice looking nevertheless.

Pipeous
05-25-2003, 06:53 AM
Hey Slek
Ya I got the stuff off ebay, but if you buy a few items, the shipping goes down. I know how it is, I drive right by their place on the way to work. I also have sent them a bunch of esc's to repair (they do that as well). I will be getting my stuff this week. I have the 540 finished as far as I can go now (slow night at work) and I bought a carbon front bumper to match the rest of the car.
RC Pitstop has the cp1700scrs. I thought they were too big but because I built it at work, I didn't have the manual and I put the dam posts backwards (radio plate and top plate) so that is fixed now :rolleyes: I got 5 now and he ordered more so the other I get Monday. For the record, the cp1700's are common with the electric airplane guys as they provide punch so if anyone has trouble finding them, talk to the airplane guys. I haven't built the vcs shock so I am not sure how it will work out but the rad lambo fits the chassis nicely, I just hope it clears the vcs. I got the body free as the paint job was botched a bit (orange peeled) when the window tint went on. Who cares, it will be thrashed in a couple days anyway and I can paint another. Also just realized I don't have inner wheel hubs or the front top bulkhead brace. Oh dam better order the aluminum top brace lol.
And that Orion chrome stock looks so sweet in there. I just wish I could have gotten parts other than purple. I HATE PURPLE!!!!

SLEK
05-25-2003, 02:29 PM
Cool, hope I get to see the 540 run some time.
I'm looking around for a rear deck and vcs shock combo and I think I got most parts to get my 2 micros running.

I guess other than some lock nuts for the rear inner wheel hubs, they're ready to go.