PDA

View Full Version : Can't get my darn micro to work.

Z-Axis
03-26-2002, 08:09 PM
I have been trying for a few days to get my micro to work. Here is the problem. The car is brand new, never been run. I have an Atom ESC, a Futaba 3-channel FM receiver, and a aftermarket stock motor. I wired everything correctly but the thing will not run. The ESC directions say that you can hold down the programing button and then start programing. Well, this does not work at all. I can't even get the steering to work? The only time it works is when the battery pack for the receiver is plugged in. When I do that, it glitches and the motor goes berserk and I have steering?

I know this is a very vague topic, but I could use some help. I really want to get it running.

Also, I bought the Duratrax Intelipeak charger and the Team Orion 5 cell battery packs. How in the heck do icharge these batteries? Do I trickle charge them, or use the speedier setting. When I crank it up the battery makes this funny "running water noise" PLeae help

Z-Axis
03-26-2002, 08:24 PM
^

xxtcrgp
03-26-2002, 08:25 PM
uh oh, you dont need a battery for the receiver:eek:

Z-Axis
03-26-2002, 08:29 PM
:confused: I know this, but what could be wrong? I used to race years ago and I know a lot about rc stuff. Is there something wrong with the ESC? Also, how do I charge the batteries?:confused:

Raydee
03-26-2002, 08:43 PM
Do you have the servo and the esc in the right slots on the receiver. I made the mistake when I first started in electrics and I plugged my ESC in the Battery slot!

Z-Axis
03-26-2002, 08:56 PM
Nope, I know better than that. this is really frustrating because I have missed alot of racing trying to get this thing to work. Is there anything special to do to the ESC? I added the Schotky Diode to the motor, and the huge capacitor inline, and wired it properly.

Does anyone use the Atom ESC here? Can you lend a hand?

Does that ESC suck or something?

xxtcrgp
03-26-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Z-Axis
The only time it works is when the battery pack for the receiver is plugged in. When I do that, it glitches and the motor goes berserk and I have steering?

no that esc does not suck, I actually like them atoms alot! But above you said the battery for the reciever is plugged in:confused:

Z-Axis
03-26-2002, 09:07 PM
I did that to test the servo before I had set up all the stuff. Since it was working when I put it all together I tried it again. I had steering, but the motor went all crazy and would glitch?

I seriously cannot figure this out. What makes me more mad is that I spent like $700.00 on this crap and it doesn't work?!

:mad: I am so pissed right now!

xxtcrgp
03-26-2002, 09:14 PM
did you have batterys to the receiver and to the electronic speed controler at the same time?

GreenMachine
03-26-2002, 10:05 PM
make sure that the esc is wired correctly to the reciever. what i mean is that make sure that the 3 wires in the lead from the esc to the reciever go in the right places. sometimes you may have to flip the positive and negative wires in the connector. also, different mfgrs. put the signal wire in different places. on some the signal wire is all the way to the right, on others its all the way to the left. so make sure those wires are right.

Z-Axis
03-26-2002, 10:41 PM
Is that easy to change thos pins on the connectors? I hope that is the issue, but I still do not know how the batteries charge if they do at all. I don't mean I can't do it, I am just used to off road packs. I posted again a few minutes ago asking about how to do it properly (charge).

I am sorry to keep on posting, but I appreciate the help.

GreenMachine
03-26-2002, 11:43 PM
the pins are relatively easy to change. theyre held in by a black tab on each slot. if u lift the tab, the pin slides out so u can change them. also, the batteries for the micro should be charged at no higher than one amp with a voltage threshold between 40 and 50 mV. i hope this info helps.

Microbrew
03-27-2002, 04:51 AM
I have an atom esc, they are awesome. I think you may have damaged your receiver.

If you use a receiver pack (which you really don't need), then you do not want to ever turn on the esc on/off switch. Your supposed to leave it in the off position, and wire in a separate on/off switch inline between the receiver batt and the receiver. Having both a separate pack powering the reciever and the esc doing the same thing at the same time, there's a possibility you fried something. A description of this is in the atom's instructions.

Try it without the external pack, if it's still nothing you may need to replace or repair the receiver. I think novak might have info for this online, try their website. Don't kill the messenger.....:(

Tell me what model futaba receiver you have and i'll tell you how the wires should look. It's probably an R113F or a R123F. I own both.

Z-Axis
03-27-2002, 05:44 PM
Ok, I figured it out last night thanks to Team Allied. The pin connector is reversable and I changed it around, works fine. I finally got the thing to run for the first time! I was so happy, but my cat wasn't because this little 1/18 BMW was after fast!!

I am so happy, now I can go racing next weekend. I saw Marty today at Hobby Town and he gave me some pointers about my micro. He seems like a cool guy.

Now, all I need is to spend more money on chassis stuff, and to order my Speed 300 motor. By the way, where do I geet one of those.

TFRMicro
03-27-2002, 06:39 PM
cool, glad you got your micro working...:cool:

GreenMachine
03-27-2002, 09:50 PM
no problem z axis. glad i was able to help ya out.