PDA

View Full Version : HPI RS4 3 SS vs. Yokomo GT4 rtr

tjrcs
04-07-2003, 01:56 AM
forget the price~

which one is better?? WHY???

i'm a nitro beginner. this will be my first nitro car. so easy maintenance and durability are my first priority and then performace. thanx in advance

BLiND
04-07-2003, 02:11 AM
get the yok, you wont look back.

paul m
04-07-2003, 02:14 AM
yokomo gt4. i got a yoke and my cousin got the SS. my handles so much better. mine hasnt broke yet, but his has had problems. the yoke accelerates faster and the suspension can be adjusted more than the SS. maintainance and durability are about the same, but the yoke is more bang for your buck in my opinion. plus if you end up wanting to race it, the yoke can be hopped up to be race ready while the hpi has its limit. trust me, the yoke is better hands down.

g12314
04-07-2003, 05:50 AM
If you have a LHS that carries Yok parts, then get the Yok. It really is a bummer when you break something and have to wait a week to get a part...

troll
04-07-2003, 09:24 AM
Isn't that a car with like 3 belts? I think I remember looking at one and saying no thanks. And after working on my Fusion this weekend, I actually like it even more. Nice simple clean design and engineering, not to mention it hauls ASS.

Troll

kryptonix
04-07-2003, 09:14 PM
if your hobby shop doesnt carry yok parts i would look into the ntc3 dont go with the rs4 rtr3 more like a toy to a yokomo the 3 belt design is actually a good one its just that the shaft driven cars have the better acceleration.It all depends on what you plan on doing with the car shaft driven is awesome for bashing and belt driven is good for smoother and clean surfaces.

tjrcs
04-07-2003, 09:56 PM
wat about HPI super nitro rally??? if i get good deal, i might get this used one. Most likely, i will just bash around since i'm not a serious racer. hehe thanx guys~ i'm really excited about my first nitro. gosh... hopefully my gf will buy me one. lol~ sounds like i'm a BIG scrubb......

BLiND
04-07-2003, 11:57 PM
I just got a used super nitro rally, got it for $100 bucks missing a few parts (an entire front shock even :p ) but it came with 3 engines and 2 complete sets of slicks...

It's a really wicked looking car, I just haven't had enough time to get all the parts together that I need for it! I even plan on eventually swapping an XTM .247 engine into it (with wolfpack radicals .21 conversion kit) but that will be down the road after I've upgraded the entire drivetrain :D

BTW - belt driven cars accelerate faster than shaft, well good belt driven cars that have belt tensioners that are set correctly do. Straight line my electric RS4 Rally will out accelerate a similarly equipped TC3 on the street (19x2 motor, 2000mAH NiCD pack)

I've noticed the same thing with my nitro car's also, my rs4-2 will out accelerate most of the nitro TC3's at the local track, however the handling is definately not as consistant :(

tjrcs
04-08-2003, 12:10 AM
so i guess i need to stick with shaft drive then. even tho it's slower, it'll give me consistance feedback. hmm.... let's see~ i'll get watever i can get.

BLiND
04-08-2003, 12:12 AM
no, it's just that the TC3 is a better car than the HPI.

the yokomo has the most neutral handling and is a race ready car out of the box.

plus the yok comes with a 2 spd, thats a $60 option on a nitro TC3 rtr - or the hpi rtr...and the yok's engine is a LOT more powerful.

tjrcs
04-08-2003, 01:12 AM
i like yok too~ if my SNR deal goes out, i'll go for yok~ i want rally tho.....

troll
04-08-2003, 11:18 AM
If you really want to play in the dirt so bad, you should probably just get a 4wd stadium truck or something. I don't really like the whole rally idea. If I'm gonna play in the dirt, I want to jump as well, and if I'm doing that, I need to be able to go through grass at that.

Troll

BLiND
04-08-2003, 02:10 PM
the SNR does that pretty good troll, I just ordered a full set of pro-line buggy rear tires for my SNR - same size tires.

After I get it running again I'll take some vids of it tearing through my backyard. Damn I gotta take some of the T-maxx doing that too, lol!

troll
04-08-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by BLiND
the SNR does that pretty good troll, I just ordered a full set of pro-line buggy rear tires for my SNR - same size tires.

After I get it running again I'll take some vids of it tearing through my backyard. Damn I gotta take some of the T-maxx doing that too, lol!

Hmm, I dunno. I've thought about getting the rally conversion for the tc3. But it just seems half assed to me when it comes to offroard. There's no doubt it would just haul ass and drive well on smooth tracks, but all out jumping ? not thanks.

I have however, though about getting the tc3 O wheel adapters only and running around with the tc3 on buggy tires ;) Just to be silly.

Troll

BLiND
04-08-2003, 03:47 PM
oh well that's where you're coming from, but the super nitro rally you've gotta remember is basically a nitro stadium truck with a narrow wheelbase and 1/10th scale buggy tires all around.

It's so fun to drive it, on road it body leans like a real car!

doesn't make it the fastest thing through corners, but I didn't buy it for racing, lol...

dvessel
04-08-2003, 07:54 PM
Hey Blind.. or anyone else. Could you post a link to a site that sells the hpi SNR? My brother keeps bugging me to get a nitro car and the Rally looks sweet. He even offered to lend me money so I can get one. I didn't even ask him. He just want's to race with me but not with my micro. :) btw- I was matching the speed of someones T-Maxx with my micro during a drag race. People were flipping out. LOL

My bro just got the Yoko GT4. I drove it more than him.. I flipped it trying to powerslide and some idiot smashed into the rear end. Wheel just fell off. :( That thing handles so well. It's amazing.! All that on the first day of running. LOL!

tjrcs
04-08-2003, 09:38 PM
i won eBay for brand NEW SS for $240 shipped. i think this is pretty good deal. wat ya think?? i bought this so i can build it and learn about nitro car b4 i move up. haha when i bought my micro, i told myself that i won't buy nitro. BUT i ended up getting one after 3 month of micro. haha hopefully, i will like this one.
oh yeah, there are two SNR on eBay right now. but both are used tho. check them out

Pipeous
04-10-2003, 02:46 AM
I ran a Yok GT4 last year, awesome car. I had a Mugen MTX2 before that and I think the Yok was a faster car, same engines. The support at the Yokomo forum is amazing, you can learn about nitros and chassis tuning from some of the best drivers around.

I just got my hands on the HPI super nitro (not a rally) but have not even played with it yet. I might be getting an rs4 3 soon too so we will see how that handles. I bought the ntc3 a couple months back and so far it looks to be the nicest car of my nitro tc's but it has no purple so I am biased and it makes it faster when it's not purple haha. Yokomo hop ups are blue or silver hehe, another plus.

It would seem out of character if I didn't mention I had a few rc's for sale lmao including the super nitro and some other on road nitros.
Check out the Ofna OB4 at ofna.com .... if you like the look of that one, I have 2 complete cars (one used but every hop up, one new all graphite) and a third almost complete with a ton of extra screws shock parts etc etc. I was thinking of running one but I am just going to get the shop cleaned out. Racing starts for me this next weekend so I don't have a lot of time to fix rc's much for the next few months (and my roller hockey starts in 3 weeks as well). Take the whole Ofna package and get the padded kit bag too

drop me line if interested. bgwilson@telus.net