PDA

View Full Version : Kid vs Car accidents

Shadowrat
03-18-2003, 12:32 PM
i was driving my xxx buggy at the lhs last night. We have a good size tripple jump. the leading jump is probably 3 feet high, and the whole tripple is probably about 9 feet long. Since i'm driving stock, my strategy is generally to just make the double, and roll the final jump.

well, last night, some kid was standing in between the first and second jump. I didn't hear anyone give any warning about being down in the tripple, so i had no idea he was there. i came around the turn, lined up for the jump, and punched it. then smack the guy took my buggy right in the face. ouch!

to make a long story short, he ended up needing some stitches, and his father is threatening to sue the track. Has anyone ever had this happen at their track? Has a track ever been shut down for this kind of thing? I'd really hate to see the track go because of this.

Pipeous
03-18-2003, 01:08 PM
Most tacks post signs saying use at own risk, not to mention they are insured usually. When we first opened up our local track, it was out first 8th scale track, a kid crawled up the face of a jump and took an 8th scale buggy in the forehead, it was more than a couple stitches lol

I hate all these putz in the world talk sue if some little crap happens. Get a grip people. Do they want to end a lot of people's fun for a couple dollars, probably his own sons' fun as well since he was there, he had to be interested in rc. Get stitched up and chalk it up as a learnng experience.

As a kid, I broke pretty well every bone and have scars from stitches all over my body. This stuff happens to kids well because, without life experience, they are just a little "stupid" (meant as unexperienced).

Sorry, that bites my butt. Hope the kid is okay, but you know, dad should have been watching the kid as he has to know his kid was that stupid as being an adult he has allready experienced those life things and has probably seen his kid do OTHER stupid stuff too

Shadowrat
03-18-2003, 01:27 PM
i'd hate to see what happens to someone who takes an 8th scale in the head. I figure this kid is just lucky that i was only driving stock. the mod 4wd buggies really fly off that jump cause they go for the whole triple.

elementuu
03-18-2003, 01:55 PM
at our indor on road track, we have proble with little kids sitting in the middle of the track in the open spaces. well on day he went to corner my friends dads car and the kid steped on the antenna and pulled up the car and it ripped the antenna out of the reciver:(

ricer4life48
03-18-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by elementuu
at our indor on road track, we have proble with little kids sitting in the middle of the track in the open spaces. well on day he went to corner my friends dads car and the kid steped on the antenna and pulled up the car and it ripped the antenna out of the reciver:(

WAT THE F'ER!
how old r these kids u guys r takin bout who get hit or r stupid enough to stay in the middle of the track?!

Shadowrat
03-18-2003, 04:24 PM
The guy that i hit was probably 12 - 13. He was marshalling his dad's car (i think).

It seems to be a popular passtime with kids even younger than that to go out on the track and marshal. Some of them do a good job, that's cool. Some of them are just obstacles though.

rcracer37
03-18-2003, 04:32 PM
A friend mine last year got hit in the face with a T-maxx right smack in the middle luckily his sun glasses took most of the impact the Maxx had dual front bumpers, needless to say to this day he still has a scar. Both him and his parents new it was just an accident.

elementuu
03-18-2003, 05:12 PM
thier is about 3 of them during pratice and they are about 5-7 years old. one of the kids has a peice of wheat in his mounth usually(i just so want to get my 1/12 on hit him.. and they go and corner the 1/10 mods car!! i got hit by one oce when i cornering during a race and it knocked me of my feet! they have all ready just about been hit buy the 1/10.

troll
03-18-2003, 05:36 PM
Sounds like natural selection to me.

People that sue over their own stupidities piss me off.

Troll

bmwrs4
03-18-2003, 06:01 PM
yea, i doubt they would have any success in that lawsuit, if it was anyones fault it was thiers, and you can't sue for your own stupidity, although people do try!

That_Darn_Punk
03-18-2003, 07:49 PM
Hey now, what about that lady that put coffee between her legs and got burnt. Then she proceeded to sue mcdonalds for not warning her about hot coffee. Point being people sue over things that are their own damn fault. If I were you, I'd go to the track manager or owner and tell them to post a disclaimer, and also make a rule against unsupervised children on or near the track.

troll
03-19-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by bmwrs4
yea, i doubt they would have any success in that lawsuit, if it was anyones fault it was thiers, and you can't sue for your own stupidity, although people do try!

Had a guy who was plastered drunk, tumble down the stairs on my back deck and rip his head all open. They tried to sue us over it. Wasn't my fault he came drunk, with his own beer, and was too busy making out with his chick and not paying attention to turning around right into the opening where the stairs were.

Thankfully, our insurance company got it thrown out of court apparently.

Dumbass.

Troll

Mondo
03-19-2003, 08:01 AM
LOL!

My son Tyler was about 14 months old and toddling around the yeard when I was testing out my (then) new Yokomo YZ4 1/10th scale 4x4 buggy.
I caught his feet from behind, he did a perfect flip, landed on his diaper padded butt and started crying.
Today he is a big RC fan, he has 3 Mini-Z's, a Racer, Overland and F1. He also has a HPI 1/10th tourer and a Micro RS4 coming to him soon.
It's amazing what an "impact" that incident had on him.

About the same time, my neighbour (in my old 'hood) had this mongrel mutt called "bastard"
This thing used to chase my RC cars up and down the road, trying its best to sink it's cross bred jaws into my precious lexan bodyshells.
One day "bastard" was in hot persuit of my road converted Kyosho Optima Mid Custom that had 10 cells and a hot motor, I turned into my driveway at high speed from the road, narrowly missing the gate-post, "bastard" wasn't so fortunate, his cross-bred canine cranium made full contact with the steel gate-post, resulting in a dull thud. 40-0mph in a nanosecond!
The dog ended up with multiple stitches in it's head. I almost passed out laughing

When I raced (Serpent) 1/8th scale nitro cars many, many years ago, I had witnessed many close calls with spectators.
Those nitro cars could do in excess of 60mph down the straight and if you outbraked yourself, the results could be interesting.
This was a track in a shopping mall car park and the club had all the signs up that stated they were not responsible and RC motor racing is dangerous.
I have seen on 1/8th nitro car take off after a collision with another competitor and fly in between the seated spectators.
Risky business, especially at 60mph+ and weighing just on 20lbs.

jw_j
03-26-2003, 02:42 AM
when i was 4 and till i was about 6 or so i was a jump in an off road indoor track, i was actually part of it, then when i was about 7 i was marshalling an on road race, and was hit in the legs flipping over someone's car, i did a perfect back flip, and landed on my back on the car that hit me, all that was left was a bunch of tore up parts, and ive been racing ever since