PDA

View Full Version : Project Super Nikko number1

troll
03-11-2003, 04:13 PM
Well I finally have some pics online.

Heres some ideas of what to do with those old crappy nikko or off brand rc'cars you have laying around, or maybe your kids, or in my case, my neice.

Bored with production rc, and well, my micro. I decided to take an ordinary little Nikko Jeep and turn it into a tiring smoking wheelie monster.

With the help of my speed 300 from my micro, and some leftover electronics that came in the RTR tc3, I currently have a working prototype.

Albeit no steering just yet, but that may be in the next few days. I have a servo and equipment to rig it up now.

The beauty of it, was that I hadn't the need to really fabricate anything yet. Just modify existing parts already in the vehicle, and looks like the steering may work out similiarly. I was even able to retain the stock gearing and 'motor mount' and modify it to fit the 300.

Is a 540 possible? Sure, anything is, but this is was far too easy to not just go for it. It only took about 4 hours of work so far on a sunday at work.

Anyways, browse the pics for now. A full writeup on my page will be coming soon, as well as more pics as things progress. Stay tuned.

With the 1100 man nimh 2/3 6 cell pack I had in there (before it went up in flames while charging yesterday) it would wheelie on command, and I couldn't get it up to top speed on the carpet before it broke em loose and spun around violently. And so far, has been more reliable that my micro :D

Now if I could just steer it!

I could use ideas on some better tires, the wheels are of course non standard and screw together with three screws that sandwich the 'tires' in place. If you can call those super hard rubber that feels like plastic, tires.

Troll Clickety Click! (http://mochunk.net/rccars/gfx/jeep/)

BLiND
03-11-2003, 05:06 PM
hah that's awesome, you did a very neat and clean job of hacking the crap out of that jeep :D

about the tires, they look to be about the same size as buggy rear tires off a 1/10th scale. Might work?

troll
03-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by BLiND
hah that's awesome, you did a very neat and clean job of hacking the crap out of that jeep :D

about the tires, they look to be about the same size as buggy rear tires off a 1/10th scale. Might work?

ACtually theyre a little smaller. Almost like the size of the HPI Mini wheels.

I just got STEERING! I did a quick hack. About an hours worth of work, and just did a quick test. I need another pack to throw in it. Maybe my blind pack for right now. I did a quick test with a dead 6 cell sub c pack strapped to the back.

Look for servo*.jpg and steering*.jpg . That and I did a few quick, pointless .MOV's of it as well. Check it out. If the sites not accesible, try again in a few. Our nameservers just rebooted over here :(

Troll

Mini-zMan
03-11-2003, 06:50 PM
th4y arnt working 4 me

troll
03-11-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Mini-zMan
th4y arnt working 4 me

What isn't? The movies? The images? The whole site?

Like I said, hours ago, our nameservers were down about the time I posted that, so from most places it wasn't accessible by name, and since it's name based vhosted not by IP alone either. But it's fine now.

Takes named awhile to get up to speed with like 100,000 zone files to load.

Tomorrow, I'll get a pack going into it. I think if I use the blind pack, I can fit it inside the stock battery holder, so I don't have to zip tie it underneath :)

Troll

BLiND
03-12-2003, 01:23 AM
bah, but if you zip tie a pack underneath you might have less wheelie action, lmao....

troll
03-12-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by BLiND
bah, but if you zip tie a pack underneath you might have less wheelie action, lmao....

Umm, That's where the stock battery holder is anyways! I had a 6 cell 2/3 pack strapped under there, and it still wheelied. It's controllable, but what's the fun in that?! :)

Troll

troll
03-13-2003, 04:06 PM
Well, she goes through grass, and umm, other stuff pretty well too. Of course granted the size and wheelbase of it, it's not very stable, and tips over easy, but it goes quite well for 2wd.

http://mochunk.net/rccars/gfx/jeep/muddy1.jpg http://mochunk.net/rccars/gfx/jeep/muddy2.jpg http://mochunk.net/rccars/gfx/jeep/muddybottom.jpg

The third featuring the naked 5 cell blind pack :(

Doesn't have near the same power with the 6. Then it just power wheelies up all the time, traction or no traction :)

Troll

BLiND
03-13-2003, 04:34 PM
lmao...that's how a car of that design should be driven :D

That_Darn_Punk
03-13-2003, 05:29 PM
This by far is the funniest thing I have seen in a while. I'd like to get some pics up when I strap some more rocket engines to another Nikko...

troll
03-13-2003, 07:36 PM
Thanks, I was hoping someone would find amusement with it. I giggle the whole time I drive the thing :) I just really need to find some big soft knobby tires on it, for one, traction, and two, to have a LITTLE BIT of suspension. Let the tires compress to take up some bumps here and there. These tires might as well be hard plastic.

Troll

duxrneet
04-19-2003, 08:15 PM
Troll,
I didn't realize it, but today I did the exact same thing that you did! I took a "Dirty Jeep" and ripped out the steering majigger and put a standar futaba in (perfect fit!!!) and stuck in a stock micro motor in the little plastic mount thing. I just need my charger now!!! It works very well, but I don't have any fully charged batts just yet.

duxrneet
04-19-2003, 08:22 PM
It looks like I did steering a bit differently: I didn't screw the servo horn to anything, i just reamed a tiny hole for the arm to stick into (less hacking, but now I have a big gap underneath the steering "box").

Mini-zMan
04-19-2003, 09:51 PM
me want to see custom homemade independent suspension... maybe you could get 4 micro vcs shocks, and cut out some a-arms form fiberglass? i dunno

troll
04-20-2003, 09:43 AM
Alright then! Let's see it! Maybe I'll get another wattage 370 from blind and get it running again. The reason I even bothered is because I had the extra speed 300 with a bad shaft on it. I kinda screwed up in grind it down to fit the alloy pinions properly. so it's tapered, and the set screw doesn't grab very well, so I'm always spinning the pinion loose. Maybe with a motor properly fit, it might stay together, I even tried some loctite on one pinion, and now I can't get the set screw out! The head is too danged small, and I already twisted the Ellen around like 4 times trying :(

I dunno, for now it sits in the cabinet in my cube here at work. I haven't messed with it, and haven't really had the desire too, especially since picking up a t3, I have much more fun in the dirt with that ;)

The micro has also taken a backseat. Especially since I just sold off my entire rolling chassis minus front end. I might rebuild something here someday.

Troll

Gpark112
04-21-2003, 02:16 PM
man... you're making me wish i didn't go through the inevitable pyro stage in my pre-teen years

That_Darn_Punk
04-21-2003, 03:39 PM
Troll, that is the coolest nikko truck ever. I laugh everytime I see an update on it, very nice work. I might give the 540 a try if I can ever get a spare moment from school work.

duxrneet
04-29-2003, 03:32 PM
I found big tires that fit on these guys. I used 2.2" Rear buggy tires. They fit over the stock wheels and tires snugly and give a nice damping effect with the inserts. It also doubles the rear ground clearance, it sorta reminds me of a tractor pull or something, hehe. But it is SO MUCH BETTER now. I can blast through grass with no problem, my goodness, it is a whole new car now.

troll
04-30-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by duxrneet
I found big tires that fit on these guys. I used 2.2" Rear buggy tires. They fit over the stock wheels and tires snugly and give a nice damping effect with the inserts. It also doubles the rear ground clearance, it sorta reminds me of a tractor pull or something, hehe. But it is SO MUCH BETTER now. I can blast through grass with no problem, my goodness, it is a whole new car now.

Pics man! pics!

Troll

duxrneet
05-19-2003, 08:34 PM
Boom. Instant dirt monster. Needs some sort of plastic sidewall to keep it from getting pushed into rubbing the body. No problems unless you roll onto your side, then you'll have to readjust the tires.

troll
05-20-2003, 10:24 AM
That's scary! It IS the exact same model. I haven't messed with mine in awhile. I need another motor for it. I kept spinning pinions because the shaft was tapered from my poor 'sanding'. So I tried to ca it, so of course it ran down the shaft and glued the motor. Duh...

Troll

duxrneet
05-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Lol, lesson for the day: do not use CA as a replacement for bearing blaster.