PDA

View Full Version : Soldering battery pack question...

bay1219
03-12-2002, 06:35 PM
I am new to making battery packs from scratch and I was just wondering how you go about soldering the cells together. I know that you go positive to negative, but how do you physically apply the solder to the cells?? Do you put a small piece of solder between the battery and battery bar and heat it, or is there another method??

TGRupert
03-12-2002, 06:49 PM
I don't claim to have the best method, but I recomend using disposable bateries to practice, even used ones.

Trick Parts
03-12-2002, 07:56 PM
What I do is use a wire brush or a piece of sandpaper and rough up the cell where you are going to solder your bars on. Then you want to tin all the cells by applying solder to them. Use a good iron so you don't have to heat the cell long. Then tin the wire, braid or bar that you are using to join them. Place the bar on the cells and a quick touch of the iron should melt them together and your good to go.
________
Honda Cbf Series Specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CBF_series)

hpidriver
03-14-2002, 07:47 PM
this is what i do...
1) cut wire the right length, and leave wire exposed at the ends.
2) if the wire consists of many small wires, twist it into a braid and then put on soldering paste (it is like soldering glue.)
3) apply the solder over the wires where the paste is and it should become silvery.opposed to the bronze color of the wire
4)next, tin the battery tabs.
5) finally, apply the soldering iron when you have the wire connected to the battery.