PDA

View Full Version : is elec tape okay for decased elecs

svenhoek
02-27-2002, 08:57 PM
I was wondering if electrical tape is an exceptable covering for decased electrics? Another question is with the esc, how much heat is too much on the vents? I just took the case an heat sink off my lrp f1 and the lowering of the CG seems to make it worth it as long as the heat dosn't effect it, I run an Elite.
Thanks -Sven.

xxtcrgp
02-27-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by svenhoek
I was wondering if electrical tape is an exceptable covering for decased electrics? Another question is with the esc, how much heat is too much on the vents? I just took the case an heat sink off my lrp f1 and the lowering of the CG seems to make it worth it as long as the heat dosn't effect it, I run an Elite.
Thanks -Sven.

i have never tried electrical tape for decased electronics before, you could try it though if you want, press your finger on your esc after running it and see how hot it is. If you cant keep your finger on it to long, its to hot. it should be fine because that speedo can handle alot bigger motors

TFRMicro
02-27-2002, 09:59 PM
heatshrinks should be a better choice for the decased receiver...

I'm still thinking if I should decase mine or not...

xxtcrgp
02-27-2002, 10:07 PM
do you race?

TFRMicro
02-27-2002, 10:19 PM
me?

no, I don't race because there is no race for micro...:(

I want to decase it because it looks better:D and lower...

armithius
02-27-2002, 10:53 PM
There's 2 reason why I can think that electrical tape would not be a good choice for this job.
1. Looks, for me anyways, but as they say: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
2. One of the prime things you want to do when decasing electronics is to keep dirt out of them. However using electrical tape, there will be gaps in the tape into the electrical device. The inside of the tape thats not completely stuck down becomes fly paper for dirt.

xxtcrgp
02-27-2002, 11:54 PM
there was no class for micros when i raced it with 1/10th scale and people seen it and liked it so bought one. goto your local hobby shop and you can get like 6" for 30 cents

svenhoek
02-28-2002, 12:18 AM
my problem is i'm in college in DC and have no car and my LHS is about 1.5 hours from me by metro and bus, this means it fits into my schedual on tuesdays only, i was hoping for a quicker way.
Sven.
P.S. i kinda prefer the black electrics look anyway

xxtcrgp
02-28-2002, 12:49 AM
I could mail you some if you would like.

Whatup1049p
02-28-2002, 01:18 PM
I have an idea, you could melt some wax from a candle or even crayons in a cup in the microwave then dip the electronics into the cup several times letting it dry for 10 seconds between each dip. You can keep doing it for as long as you want.

Whatup1049-

Mykroe
02-28-2002, 04:13 PM
whatup the only prob with that is that it is permenant and may look hack anyways. why dont u just buy some online, its dirt cheap stuff