PDA

View Full Version : Tips on breaking in tires?

No Limits
10-27-2002, 11:43 AM
O.k. guys I recently purchase some Dynaite softs for my track and I want some ideas or tips to use to break them in faster. So can you guys give me some? TIA

Crooked H
10-27-2002, 12:48 PM
Use a fine grit sandpaper on the surface. Scrub it fairly good and clean the surface arterwards. This will give you fairly decent traction until they can get fully broken in on the carpet.:)

No Limits
10-27-2002, 01:44 PM
I took my stone dremal to them and got a lot off but didn't clean them afterwards. That helped a quite a bit but still not fully. I am gonna try to have them fully broke in by the end of friday night. i wanted to have them done last Friday but that didn't happen. Thanks for the info and if you guys have anythign elese you would recommend please post it. TIA

Mondo
10-27-2002, 02:48 PM
On Monday nights I race "Micro #1" on carpets.
I use the HPI Carpet Tires on the rear and standard tires up front.
Before each race, I "scrub" the tires with some course sandpaper.
This works fine, unfortunately the carpet "polishes" the tires, so this has to be done after each heat.

My second micro is a BB300 equipped parking lot burner, so obviously I use standard tires, I find a good run and a few drifting donuts scrub the tires up quite nicely.
These tires tend to stay scrubbed due to the abrasive qualities of the asphalt.
Once the tires get a little heat built up, the handling does improve.

BLiND
10-30-2002, 11:00 PM
simple green household cleaner and a cotton towel.

spray spray, scrub scrub

stickier tires then you could imagine (rubber tires, not foams)

my hpi soft rear tires will stick to each other if I put them together after cleaning them, I clean em before each race.

jblackmore
11-06-2002, 05:01 PM
You can heat cycle tires with a hot air gun, you should wash the tyres before mounting them to get the release agent off, then heat cycle them a few times, and finally sand them to rough up the surface for optimum grip.

I find for carpet running the rears benefit from scrubbing with sandpaper before an evenings racing, and I leave the fronts alone normally.

jblackmore
11-06-2002, 05:03 PM
Forgot to say, be careful about using anything on the tyres as residue from tyre additives or cleaning products can cause problems with the carpet or surface your racing on if your not very careful (if you race outside on tarmac it doesn't matter I guess). For indoor use, probably best to stick to sandpaper, as this is guaranteed not to cause problems.

microRS4guy
12-17-2002, 02:31 PM
is i will run them on cement for a pack or 2 till the get roughed up then i run them on a very low plie carpet for half a pack then they are nice and broken in