PDA

View Full Version : battery clips....lipo...

skawty
01-22-2008, 01:51 PM
well im planning on slapping a mamba 25 to the ole pluse. but its a slow process since most of my money is going into my vxl project. but none the less im picking up a reasonable lipo battery that was sized for an rc18. ill just use it for a better run time on my stock esc for now. but for a charger what options are there?

why are our battery clips so weird. why can we have a clip like a 1/10 so we can use similar chargers...so what can i do for a charger? do i have to change my esc and battery clips to something more universal? or do i have to get a special charger or what? just seems like a pain...

Erock 808
01-23-2008, 02:38 AM
Hey skawty!

You are definitely going to have a blast when you drop that Mamba 25 into your Pro-Pulse! I know I do!!!:) You should look into changing your esc and battery clips to Deans Ultra plugs, especially if you're going to be running Li-Po batteries. I did a post: Project T-100(R) and it's got pictures of my Pro-Pulse with the Mamba 25 Competition X set up with Li-Po battery, using the Deans Ultra plugs. You can view it here:
http://yourmicro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19876&page=3

Now as far as a charger goes, I used to own a MRC Super Brain 960 AC/DC Delta Peak Charger with LCD Display, and I had no problems with it. It is a very good charger for just under $50, but I gave it away after purchasing a Dynamite Vision Peak Ultra AC/DC Charger. I had to purchase a new charger because I picked up a Li-Po battery, and the MRC Super Brain 960 does not charge Li-Po's. When I bought my Dynamite Vision Peak Ultra, it was about $120, but now you can get one new for about $90. I'd really recomend getting the Dynamite Vision Peak Ultra, just in case you do upgrade to Li-Po's. Once you do get your charger, you will need an adapter for it and you've got three choices.
1) cut off the Tamiya plug and solder a Deans Ultra plug
2) purchase a Tamiya plug with bare wires, and solder the Deans Ultra plug to that
3) purchase an already assembled Tamiya to Deans Ultra plug adapter

I personally went with #3. It was so much more convenient, and it cost less than $5.

Here's a picture of it
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k318/eorinion/Pro-Pulse/IMG_0139cropped.jpg

Hope that I was able to help you out some? Have fun, and if you've got any more questions, just feel free to ask!

ALOHA!

Erock 808
01-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Just go to Deans Plugs on all your batteries and chargers, including your 1/10th scale stuff, and then you won't have to do any changing at all. Having a bunch of adaptors just leads to resistence and kinda defeats the purpose of going to a high quality connector like Deans.

Just a warning, severeal of the LiPO manufacturers recommend NOT using the SuperBrain on their batteries because use of one will void their warranty.

Personally, either get a Duratrax ICE or a new CheckPoint - they're far superior to the superbrain anyway.

JUST TO CLARIFY...
I said to *change* out the "esc and battery" clips to Deans Ultras. (So *no* adapters on the vehicle!) If you'd click on my link, you'd see pictures of my car with Deans Ultra plugs soldered on (not an adapter)!

The adapter I mentioned was for the charger to charge the battery (which I've already said to change out to Deans Ultras!) I did give the option to resolder Deans onto the charger, but it's only charging, so I went the easy route and got the adapter for it. (and again, only for "charging" purposes)

Now as far as the charger goes, I owned a Super Brain to charge the stock batteries only! *But* when I bought a Li-Po battery, I got rid of the Super Brain (because it does not charge Li-Po's) and bought the Dynamite Vision Peak Ultra AC/DC Charger to charge my batteries (now that I owned stock batteries and also a Li-Po battery)!

I've made no mention of putting adapters on the car!
I've made no mention of charging a Li-Po with the Super Brain charger!
(I guess I shouldn't have made any mention to the Super Brain at all.)
I hope that I've made myself clear enough now!?
Sorry for *any* confusion! :confused: