PDA

View Full Version : The Great Servo Debate

BloodyBastard
09-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Will Rage On..

There have been statements recently made claiming that the Propulse 'High Speed Micro Servo' is nothing more than a stock servo in a clear blue case. I countered those claims based only on my personal experience of having them installed in my trucks and detecting an increased responsiveness.

This morning I decided I would do an 'internal' investigation and do a comparison of the guts of both servos.

Upon initial visual inspection they do appear to be identical with the exception of the case..

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL930/3433067/17888300/279695058.jpg

Closer examination revealed only differences in the numbers on the motors and the control chip..

Motor Numbers:

Stock - 30644

High Speed - 3067L

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL930/3433067/17888300/279695060.jpg

Chip Numbers:

Stock: 2611 / JRC / A6126G

High Speed: 2611 / JRC / A6182G
(The HS servo's numbers were a little more difficult to read as you can see in the pic)

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL930/3433067/17888300/279695059.jpg

These were the only differences I found physically between the two servos. Although the numbers do vary, the variance may only be 'lot' or 'production' numbers. The chip 's main ID for both is '2611'. The numbers stamped on the motors may or may not indicate a model difference.

The result of this investigation is 'Inconclusive'.

With only my operating performance observations as evidence of a difference, (Could I be imagining that one operates better than the other? ) I will no longer say they are different conclusively. It will remain under debate till someone else can produce evidence to prove conclusively either way.

cheers

alfred
09-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Okay since were talking servos here....high speed servos can be the same inside the case.....usually the high speed one is faster because it needs less voltage for the motor to turn the gears.......i have noticed this dealing with micro servos......its a plastic gear servo thats faster then the metal gear. Have you compared the specs for both the servos...whats the voltage for the both of them.

BloodyBastard
09-23-2007, 10:13 AM
.. Have you compared the specs for both the servos...whats the voltage for the both of them.
I have been unable to track down any specs on either servo. Nothing in any of the documentation that comes with either the RTR or in the packaging for the replacement servo. The motors could have a different number of winds but can;t tell that unless they are disassembled.(I'm not willing to dismantle those tiny servo cans:rolleyes: )
One thing I have noted though, in the catalog when they list a part that is an upgrade the description states the performance enhancement. As opposed to if the part listed is a direct replacement, it merely states 'Replaces stock.. blah'. The latter is the case with the High Performance micro servo. It's description only say's 'Replaces stock servo'.
It could very well be a direct replacement with just the added 'visual' enhancement of the clear blue case as indicated by others.

babetta80
09-23-2007, 10:53 AM
there is only one micro servo listed on the megatech website, the specs are:

FX202 Micro Servo
MTC 202
Torque:12oz
Weight:.32oz
Speed:.16sec
Size:.95 x .94 x .35"

im pretty sure thats whats used in the stock pro pulse servo....
if you look through the pro pulse manual, or the radioshack website, they list alot of stuff as "high performance" or "high speed" when it is really just replacement stock. (high performance shocks, high performance plastic shocks) so, i would not be surprised if it was just the blue plastic case that makes it faster:rolleyes:

BloodyBastard
09-23-2007, 11:41 AM
.. so, i would not be surprised if it was just the blue plastic case that makes it faster:rolleyes:
hahaha .. actually it's probably how much coffee I did or didn't drink prior to running the trucks that makes the servos faster, or not..:p

alfred
09-23-2007, 12:55 PM
So you might just be paying more for a prettier case......;) Dont know why they just didnt put the specs on the servo in the manual.

babetta80
09-23-2007, 01:12 PM
well, considering you can't buy the "stock" servo, i guess you are not paying more, youre just paying what they want you to pay...

Erock 808
09-23-2007, 03:06 PM
When you goto the Pro-Pulse website, it lists the servo as a "High-Speed Micro" servo. But then when you click on the link, it takes you to Radio Shacks website which says:

Edge out the competition.
This stock replacement servo provides low current draw for excellent torque and speed. Weighing in at 9 grams, this servo is small and lightweight so it won't weigh down your RC vehicle. Compatible with the Pro-Pulse Racing™ RC Buggy (#60-9000) and Pro-Pulse Racing RC Truck (#60-9001).

Stock replacement servo provides excellent torque and speed
Servo is small and lightweight so it won't weigh down your RC vehicle
Compatible with Pro-Pulse RC Racing Buggy (#60-9000) and Pro-Pulse RC Racing Truck (#60-9001)

I typed it out the description because the Radio Shack page will surely be deleted soon!
Here's the link: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2367784&cp

babetta80
09-23-2007, 03:31 PM
hmm, the only spec it gives is 9g, and thats what the original one is:confused:

BloodyBastard
09-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Well, I will only add to this conversation that I have yet to have any trouble with either the original servos that were in the trucks or the 'blue stock' replacements. Even when I temporarily had the Mamba setup in 'Black' I was using a Propulse servo.
I have read/heard of other's having trouble/breakage with them, but I have had none to date. As also with the electronics, I have yet to have anymore issues other than the one TX going bad.
I run them pretty hard as my latest thread about the latest Bash session will attest to. I mentioned way back that I am intentionally trying to keep as much original/Megatech equipment on them to perform what I feel is a fair assessment. So far I am pleased with the results.

cheers

babetta80
09-23-2007, 06:53 PM
yeah, i was running mine with a servo saver for maybe three weeks before i broke it. i was running a stock motor, no more than two packs per day... i did have one bad cartwheeling crash, after which it seemed to be fine, but other than that, i really wasn't that hard on it... my hs-56 seems to be lasting better with out a servo saver:confused:

Erock 808
09-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Well, I will only add to this conversation that I have yet to have any trouble with either the original servos that were in the trucks or the 'blue stock' replacements. Even when I temporarily had the Mamba setup in 'Black' I was using a Propulse servo.

Consider yourself lucky! :D I had to replace the servo in my "Monster T100" after only two weeks!? :( I wasn't even doing any hardcore bashing either! I was still running the stock wheels, not the RC18MT ones. The only major upgrade was that I had done was the Dual-Motor set up.

BloodyBastard
09-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Consider yourself lucky! :D I had to replace the servo in my "Monster T100" after only two weeks!? :( I wasn't even doing any hardcore bashing either! I was still running the stock wheels, not the RC18MT ones. The only major upgrade was that I had done was the Dual-Motor set up.
I suppose I should feel lucky considering I had whacked the wheels several times hitting immobile objects before I changed out the servo. Still worked fine and actually still using the original saver that was on it. The only things I did manage to pop off during the hits were the shocks. :rolleyes:

Nakarti
10-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Yeah guys, hate to say but the high speed micro servo IS the stock servo(or as RS says, the stock servo is a High Speed Micro Servo.) Working for Radioshack for six years has given me an advanced understanding of how they advertise stuff. That's how they think.

And really, if you look at the right page of the pro-pulse details, they do say the stock servo is a HSMS.

BloodyBastard
10-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Yeah guys, hate to say but the high speed micro servo IS the stock servo(or as RS says, the stock servo is a High Speed Micro Servo.) Working for Radioshack for six years has given me an advanced understanding of how they advertise stuff. That's how they think.

And really, if you look at the right page of the pro-pulse details, they do say the stock servo is a HSMS.

Yeah, we made these determinations already and have scrutinized the user's manual more closely.
Having been a customer of RS/Tandy for some 35+ years I am familiar with the distinction between what they 'advertise' and what 'Realistic' is.:D