PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding a propulse diff

babetta80
09-20-2007, 12:16 PM
so, i ordered the ta diff rebuild kit after i broke the rear diff on my pp... it appears to be exactly the same as the propulse, the balls are the same sizes, and everything.... looking at the propulse manual, i see that there is a smaller set of balls that go around the threaded shaft... my question is, how the HELL do you get the balls to stay there while you put the shaft it? am i missing a sleve, or something?

thanks

hockeypux19
09-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Put a dab of diff grease on a margarin tub lid put the balls in the grease. Then put the first washer on the shaft. Then using an xacto blade or tweezers set the balls on the washer using the grease as some what of a glue to hold them in place. Put the second washer on top of that like making a bearing sandwich. set on the table pointing up and put the diff half over it and pull up on the shaft. This will trap the balls inside the diff half.

Patience and good luck;)

Pux

babetta80
09-20-2007, 12:59 PM
well, i ended up getting them in, i just put the first washer in, then put a pin up the shaft hole, then dropped the balls in one by one. the way i have it set up now, i am using all three washers that came in the set. one before the spring, then one after the spring, and one after the balls... in the pro pulse diagram, it shows only two washers, one before and one after the balls.... i can't seem to get the diff very tight, should i be using only two washers?

also, how tight should the diffs be? just a little bit of resistance? almost locked? should the front and rear diffs be the same tightness?

sorry for all the questions:o

hockeypux19
09-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Did you grease the balls? Make sure you do. On the front I run the nut all the way down and then back it off 1/4 turn. On the rear I back it off 1/2 turn.
This is the setup that works best for me. As far as the washers it shouldnt matter to much unless you run out of threads. to test the diff just hold all other three wheels and turn one at a time. They sould turn very smoothly (no notchyness or grinding) and should require just a little torque to turn them.
Maybee 1 to 3 pounds. Again....Like one pound for the rear and two to three for the front. The key is SMOOOOOOTH!!!! You will knoww right away if they are to loose when you drive it. It will rev up and not pick up speed. If you let off the gas or brake and it spins out they are to tight. Adjust from there.
Trial and error always brings correct results

babetta80
09-20-2007, 04:23 PM
yes, i greased the balls individually and put a little grease on the washers...
its all back together now, and it runs fine (after putting the diffs in the wrong direction:o )
so, should i take them apart and clean them once a week, or each run?

thanks

Erock 808
09-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Well, I guess you've already got your diffs assembled. I was going to put up a link to a video for you. Oh well, I'll put it up anyway! LOL :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTOaY47YSCE

alfred
09-20-2007, 06:27 PM
And another good tip to check for slippage of the main gear would be to use two flat tips thin enough to put them into the side of the out drives, with one hand holding both handles use the other to turn the main gear manually.....you can also check for tightness this way, and it also beats taking the diff out to keep readjusting........just like hockeypux19 says you always want the front diff tighter then the rear.