PDA

View Full Version : Danz's micro

Danzzigger
04-12-2007, 04:23 AM
Hi pplz, I've got some questions for you guys with a setup im wanting to do.

Mrs4, Castle creations 8800kv + ESC, 2 x 3cell lipos, spektrum micro reciever.

Ok so now with the questions.... I noticed its really hard to fit a 3 cell lipo pack in the micro because of the belt (trying to fit inbetween) so I decided I would get 2 smaller packs and put them together (parrallel with the chasis, on the sides), resulting in 11.1volts and higher amperage. This will create more weight which i dont mind that much, cause its the only reasonable way to really do it, and the Centre of gravity will be higher cause the batteries will need to stand up on their sides (standing on its width side). So I've come across a few batteries at www.all-battery.com, unfortunately i cant fit the 100mm ones, well it would be incredibly close if i do, if the wheels morph at high speeds itll rub on the pack.

I'm needing the amperage to be 25amps continuous and 50amps peak. One of my questions is, will it be bad if I go over the continuous rating? It seems that if I don't I can't achieve the peak rating.... So is it going to stuff my esc if I go over or not?

My other question was I can go with ethier a higher C rating, or a higher MAH rating. They both have the ability to produce the amperage I need, but will the one with a higher C rating run out of 'go' faster (less runtime)? But the one with a better C rating will charge faster, so which one is better to go with? Will it pretty much breakeven with runtime and chargetime, like if say I was driving them for 2 hours, will I get back my less run time with the quick recharge?

Hope you guys can give me some answers so I can finally finish off my micro :D

Cheers
~Danz

Danzzigger
04-17-2007, 01:59 AM
man this forum isnt very active, much like my own....

Mabye no one likes me! :(

alfred
04-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Sorry man but i would give you an answer but i have no clue about lipos.:D

Danzzigger
04-23-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm just gonna go ahead with it, larger MAH rating and over the peak rating, its a regulated amperage cause it's batteries, so I'm guessing it'll be fine....

Now the problem is fitting the batteries on, I just found out that the mini servo mounting plate sticks out in the way, damn why didn't I put it on first.... well at least I didn't buy the lipos yet....

~Danz

Danzzigger
04-24-2007, 12:35 AM
Ok I've gone through all the batteries and these are the only one that'll fit:

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=977
x2 = 2200mah, 15C, 44amp peak, 194grams $77.90

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=966
x2 = 2000mah, 20C, 50amp peak, 192grams $91.9

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=964
x4 = 3200mah, 10C, 48amp peak, 264grams $79.00

Sooooooo, what do you reckon guys? (Alfred) lol :P

~Danz

alfred
04-24-2007, 07:06 AM
Dont know why your asking me buddy...lol...but i guess i would chose the one in the last link, out of all the rest it has more mah which would give you longer runtimes.

Danzzigger
04-24-2007, 08:02 PM
lol cause your the only one replying to my posts.... and I'm better off asking 1 persons opinion.... hey I was thinking as I woke up this morning though.... don't you need a charger for each pack? or each cell? cause they need to match the charging rate or something.... and if I have 4 packs with 3 cells, thats 12 cells to charge at once, no?

Thats probably a question you can't answer :P

SO SOMEONE ELSE READ MY POST DAMNIT!

:P

vzereeys
04-24-2007, 08:16 PM
those are some pretty expensive lipos. Can't you just take out the belt and go 2wd? than you can lay the lipos across the chassis. Also, if you're going for speed, i believe 2 wd would be better. One more thing, do you think the mrs4's drivetrain can handle all that power?

edit: excuse me for being off topic; but alfred, is your avatar from a movie?
________
drugtest (http://drugtestingkit.org)

Danzzigger
04-24-2007, 09:06 PM
errrrr i hope it can take all the power :P and like i said in my other post, I want the car mostly for zipping around, im not after a really high speed, but I want to be capable to do really high speeds ;)

Thank you very much for the reply :P

Was a good idea with just making it a rwd, didnt even think of that.... but ive tried it once, and the car just spins out unless your not a lead foot. I think cause these are so small (and light) its pretty much impossible to drift them, or mabye its just cause i had crap tires on....

~Danz

alfred
04-25-2007, 07:06 AM
edit: excuse me for being off topic; but alfred, is your avatar from a movie?

I got it from an avatar site......i lost all my links when i had to re-download aol, in a different screen name.:( And yes you will need a lipo charger to charge the lipos.

Danzzigger
04-26-2007, 07:50 AM
So will I need multiple chargers?

alfred
04-26-2007, 10:59 AM
One charger should be fine with the lipo's.......just make sure it will handle the cell count.......

Danzzigger
05-03-2007, 08:18 PM
hey I came across this, would it be a good solution for doubling up?

http://integy.automated-shops.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=3313&p_catid=89&sid=4wSJJh1kAA6u8mb-58107248408.41
they dont give much info on their stuff at integy, but 20 x 1.5 = 30amps x 2 = 60amps, thats more than enough, plus its fast at charging, and has a storage of 3000mah.
$36.74 x 2 = $73.48

Thats pretty good, I don't think it'll be as heavy as getting 4 packs ethier.

I'm looking at getting some nimh batteries for my mate and my brother, they just want cheap, long lasting ones. One is running a stock setup, my bro is running a novak + some motor.... (pretty powerful one actually) so the plan is 2 x 8.4volt packs and 2 x 7.2volt packs, thats a total of 26cells. I've looked at a few products, but I don't understand why certain ones cost more, obviously its got to do with matching them and stuff, but what do all the different terminologys mean? If you want, just give me a link to it all and I can read it, but its hard to find the info when everyone is expected to already know it.

~Danz

alfred
05-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Another thing you might want to check is will the battery fit the dimensions for your application......seems to be a good batt though......now as for the nimh cells, you have matched where each cell is close to another cells voltage discharge and charge rate.....then you have cells that are voltage enhanced as well and you can also call them matched cells. One thing for joining the boards is to get info and the knowledge from other members......i sure dont expect myself to know everything so i dont expect you too as well.;) :D

oXYnary
05-04-2007, 01:27 AM
Wait, alfred, you don't know what that is from? Chris "Christmas" Rodriguez (http://www.wiggerl.com/ccr/)

Vote for him to replace Santa!

Danzzigger
05-04-2007, 10:24 AM
I think I'm just gonna buy a whole bunch more of mrs4 parts, till I get the stuff I want :P, the next one is gonna have a mamba 8800kv package + a few lipos, I've decided that getting a setup like i wanted will cost heaps, and never be used to the full potential anyway.

Is there much selling of mrs4 stuff on here? or am I better of going to ebay? Cause im gonna have heaps of stuff to sell once im done.

Plus 2 of my mates dont wanna get a mrs4 yet cause they dont have the money.... lol so I'm only selling 2 stockies to the other 2 mates.

Btw whats your opinion of the SWALLOW Charger? U've probably never heard of it, its Australian, so I can hook it up to the mains. That was the main problem, getting a universal charger thats not american :P.

Soon it'll all come together ;)

~Danz

alfred
05-04-2007, 09:35 PM
It depends on what you put up on the market.......nope never heard of that charger but please fill us in if you can. And Ox i did'nt guit get your posting.

oXYnary
05-05-2007, 04:19 AM
It depends on what you put up on the market.......nope never heard of that charger but please fill us in if you can. And Ox i did'nt guit get your posting.

"I got it from an avatar site......i lost all my links when i had to re-download aol, in a different screen name. "

The link I gave is the original site where that originated. Click on the numbers.

alfred
05-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Lmao okay gotcha....now that was funny.:p

Danzzigger
05-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Hey i was reading the forum a bit trying to see what pplz opinion of pinion gearing is for a mamba 8000kv. Pplz where saying that u get less runtime from a 8000kv? how come.... I'd sacrific having a awesome motor if I get less runtime, I thought u only get less runtime if you thrash it (more amps sucked up). But if you were going at the same speed with a 4200 or 6*** not sure what they are called, would it take up the same amount as the 8000kv? I'm all about runtimes, even if I dont get to 'break the sound barrier' with my micro (alfred :P). I just want a good setup thatll keep a smile on my face.

What is the best pinion to go with, I also read that 23T is the most the spur can handle? is this true?

~Danz

alfred
05-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Well just want you to know that the 8000kv motor is all about speed.........so if you want something thats all about it then thats the motor to get, now as for the pinion i dont know........if you have a 23t pinion that you might want to try it out.

sescallier
05-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Hey i was reading the forum a bit trying to see what pplz opinion of pinion gearing is for a mamba 8000kv. Pplz where saying that u get less runtime from a 8000kv? how come.... I'd sacrific having a awesome motor if I get less runtime, I thought u only get less runtime if you thrash it (more amps sucked up). But if you were going at the same speed with a 4200 or 6*** not sure what they are called, would it take up the same amount as the 8000kv? I'm all about runtimes, even if I dont get to 'break the sound barrier' with my micro (alfred :P). I just want a good setup thatll keep a smile on my face.

What is the best pinion to go with, I also read that 23T is the most the spur can handle? is this true?

~DanzI would go with the 6800, geared right it can actually go faster than the 8k because of its tourque-rpm balance.

Danzzigger
05-26-2007, 01:08 AM
so the 6800kv has greater torque than the 8000kv?

Danzzigger
05-26-2007, 01:17 AM
its so hard trying to decide what to do, I mean I want a fast mrs4, i dont care about my setup anymore aslong as it accelerates extremely quick. I want to try and get a mrs4 off ebay with mamba and lipos, they normally only have 2 cells though, and i want 3 cells....

I guess I just have to wait untill someone sells a micro with a mamba, there are heaps of rc18ts going off all the time with them i find. Ive already spent enough on rc though, I just want to get my and my brothers mrs4 finished, and then worry about mods later on if i really feel its necissary...

BTW Im getting some sub C batteries from www.all-battery.com
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=373&HS=1
I'm getting 2 packs, is this a good price? looks damn good to me, the postage is heaps though :/.... guess i couldnt ask for much better from the US since its so far away.

Why is it that there are always 1200mah battery packs and stuff and never 3000mah and stuff? It's really wierd....

Will my LHS have the sub cells and at a cheapish price like the one above? I never go to LHS cause they dont normally have anything that i need. You guys are lucky to have such a variety of products and parts, here since its overseas and all, everything costs so much and is hard to get a hold of....

Anyway, good price? Thought I'd just ask before purchasing....

~Danz

alfred
05-26-2007, 09:06 AM
It is a good price but why are you buying sub C's........what application are you going to use it for.

Danzzigger
05-31-2007, 10:23 AM
For my brothers and mates car.

alfred
05-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Is it going in a micro or 10th scale tc.......

jaylad
05-31-2007, 11:19 AM
so the 6800kv has greater torque than the 8000kv?

not sure thats right :confused:

but what i do know is that a 6800kv mamba with a 13 tooth pinion and 2 cell 1500mah lipo's is AWESOME

both my mrs4's have the 6800kv,the 8000kv would be faster but you dont need anymore and they tend to get VERY HOT
very quickly

Roketmini
05-31-2007, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I've heard alot about the Mamba being hot, be sure to make cooling holes in the body.

Also, if the Mamba is in a 370 size can, consider picking up a set of heatsinks for the Mini-LST from Losi, you get 2 for a decent price, and you could prolly fit both on there or chop one to fit.

alfred
05-31-2007, 08:05 PM
The mamba motor is a 180 can so make sure you get the heatsink thats right for it.;)

Danzzigger
06-01-2007, 11:53 PM
All I own are hpi savages and mrs4s.

I didnt think heatsinks could be installed because of it fouling on the suspension?

alfred
06-02-2007, 08:46 AM
They make motor plates that have fins on it. Scroll down to the bottom of the link for a pic. http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jmendoza3/motors/motorsmain1.htm

Danzzigger
06-06-2007, 03:08 AM
I've already gotten a motor mount with heatsink, I thought you were talking about can heatsinks....

Danzzigger
01-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Hey guys, long time no post. Now that its holidays I can get my micros organised, so I'm buying parts to finish them all off. I'm lookin at having all 10 running so I'm ordering quite a bit of stuff. Whats the best way to source out some ESC's Recievers and Transmiters? I'll need like 6 ESC's and 7 radio units. I was thinkin of getting them off a regular seller on ebay that strips hpi savage kits or something. But then theres the problem of using AM and not FM with the extra channels.... does anyone know where i can get a few FM band radio units cheap?

Another big question that I have is both my car and my brothers car are going to be using the mamba with lipo batteries, and I've put on the purple rear diff holding thing which has NO heat sink, the reason I've done this is cause there is alot more room around the motor now and I was wanting to fit a can heat sink around it. Where can I source out one of these? and how long are the fins? I might need to get a machinist to make something up for me to get the biggest one i can fit in....

And once again, what do people use for suspension mounting on aftermarket chassis's? I'm guessing the stock gold mount part, but what goes under that to make it stick up like 20mm off the chassis? Do you have a part number on towerhobbies or something?

Cheers
~Danz