PDA

View Full Version : Acme NB16 Nitro Buggy Review

Mondo
01-25-2006, 07:17 AM
OMF! It arrived.. not bad seeing as I only ordered it on Sunday night from Stella Models in Hong Kong.

First impressions

Cute as kittens.
The bodyshell is an absoloute swine to get off due to the fuel filler cap, mixture screw and pull start.
Overall it looks well made with adjustable turnbuckles all round and the oil shocks are threaded.
I went over it with a screwdriver to check for loose screws and needless to say some did require more than a little tension, so I decided to start replacing some of the screws with stainless hex screws - in the typical Nitro tradition...

Digging down

I found the rear shock towers to be very soft, offering lots of lateral (side-to-side) flex. However, the suspension action doesn't place any lateral stress on any of the shock towers at all.
The Servos are small and remind me very much of the standard Servo units that the RC18T is fitted with. Fortunately the RC18T Servos are cheap and gear sets are available for them, so should a servo on the NB16 need replacing, there is a source.
The diff outdrives are steel, diffs are geared and the single speed bulkhead sports a neat little vented disc brake. There's also a nice little polycarb/Lexan cover over the bulkhead gear assembly

The battery box is decent but the little critter runs on AAAs, not a problem as I do own some Mini-Zs and NiMh AAA batteries are a plenty.
The 27MHz RX is quite big, this is a bonus because I will replace it with something smaller in 40MHz FM and this will leave ample room for a small failsafe unit.
The transmitter? Crap sums it up.

The engine is a Toki 0.5 unit. The only thing I don't like is the plastic exhaust unit.
It came with a sticker on the cooling head that says: "Warning do not pull rope more than 30cm" Do they mean don't overdo it on the pullstarter cord?
I can imagine some ingrains holding a tape measure against the NB16 saying "don't pull to hard Rastus.. we's already broke 2 this morning"

The manual is excellent. It looks as if this could also be available as a kit. Page after page of detailed clear and precise exploded views. Exactly what any RC enthusiast needs!
The manual has a fairly decent brief on breaking in and tuning the engine. They do make mention of the mixture screws' factory settings but nowhere in the manual do they point out which screw is which, so a Nitro newbie would not know the difference between the idle, low end and high end setting screws. It is optimised to run with factory settings out of the box

No mention of what type of fuel to run it with, hey this is going 25% race formula, not negotiable. Also no mention of what range glowplug it has or uses. As BLiND said, an MC-9 should cover it.
A decent exploded view of the engine too, including part numbers
It seems as if Acme will have parts support for this, although we do know that some of the Half8 parts bolt right on.

It came with a decent Glowplug spanner too and a sheet listing all the hop up parts Acme have available for this. A set of spare Servo horns were also supplied.

Micro and Nitro!!!!!
Reasonably priced
Fairly well made
Asthetically pleasing as in looks good
Detailed manual
Solid well made chassis
Threaded oil shocks
Adjustable turnbuckle between servo arm and steering arm
Adjustable turnbuckles on front A-Arms, rear suspension arms and steering links
Anti Roll / Sway bars front and rear
Spares support (subject to confirmation by default should I need spares)
Comes with decent glowplug wrench (It's a "nitro thing" guys...)
Option for 2 speed gearbox!!!!!!
Cheap hop ups
Cross compatible with some Half8 spares & hoppups

Dislikes:

Radio (Eeeew....)
Fact that the screws needed a good tensioning
Slop on steering
Plastic exhaust
No explaination of carb screw functions in manual (for newbs..)
No recommended glowplug type (MC-9 should do)
No turnbuckle wrench
No chassis cutaway under the flywheel for starter box support

Finally

This thing just has to be fun! A Micro people will actually hear!
I can't wait to run it over the weekend, so I guess it's off to the LHS to get a receiver and a failsafe unit for it.

I have ordered some Half8 parts for it like alloy standard sized Hexes, touring car wheel adapter Hexes, alloy shock towers, alloy threaded oil shocks and a spare set of pre-mounted wheels/tires
I'll let you know how it goes..

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6187/nb1683cr.th.jpg (http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nb1683cr.jpg) http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6683/nb1654nz.th.jpg (http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nb1654nz.jpg) http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2953/nb161yl.th.jpg (http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nb161yl.jpg)

acsubie
01-25-2006, 07:38 AM
nice write up mondo!!...mine should arrive tonite..already have all the alloy out of my kyosho waiting to be swapped into the NB.....only thing i need now that i saw is being offered is the alloy tuned pipe and maybe the 2 speed tranny

also found out that the same exact micro nitro is being offered by IRC under the name "Vulcan"...just $100 more, about $150 more for an all out alloy version

i myself wont be running until the weekend also since i need a glow plug warmer and would like to get xtra plugs to have handy

alfred
01-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Dang man that is nice....cant wait to see what you think there buddy when you run it.....i want to hear it all....:D Do you own a Venom Speedmeter man....would love to see how fast that thing can go....Its nice to see a 2 speed tranny as well as an option....:D I was taking a closer look at the pullstarter block....Hey Mr. Mod do you think it will be possible to put a drill starter block on there.....if not dont pull the pullstarter too hard man....your liable to take the whole thing off...lol...just joking.

BLiND
01-25-2006, 10:51 PM
that close-up on the muffler just makes it look like it is screaming for a tube header and tuned pipe!

Mondo
01-26-2006, 09:17 AM
Maiden run...

I know it's winter, 1°C (33°F) outside, but who cares?
Temptation crossed with curiosity and impatience made me take it for a burn.
It would not start. LOL! "Too cold" I thought! Heated the engine up with a hair dryer and w00t! She runs! I ran it on Blue Thunder Sport Forumla 25% Nitro.
Took it for a little half throttle rip and it's impressive, but I noticed the fuel was going down at an alarming rate.
Upon further inspection I saw a leak in the fuel line! Stalled it, cut the offending pipe down a little, refueled and restarted the beast.
As I am supposed to be running it in, I took it easy, half throttle with the ocassional stab at full throttle. This little critter moves! Brakes are impressive too, it can do stoppies! Also, if you get the front wheels slightly airborne and it the throttle, it will wheelie!
The cold weather took its toll with me cracking the rear wing through a traction roll. Nothing too serious though, a quick online shopping session will cure that.
Another thing, the standard exhaust coupling leaks like a cold turkey crackhead pimp under interrogation, to the extent that it wouldn't cut out when I closed of the exhaust end.
I'll be looking into that a little later. Unfortunately my RX cells died on me - porbably due to the amount of time I had the electronics powered up to get the new RX and TX settings right.

Things to watch out for:

Standard fuel lines are crap - I'll replace mine shortly
Exhaust coupling leaks like mad - Nothing a little time and decent cable ties probably can't cure, but a tuned pipe is the better option
Turning circle not overly brilliant - Working on an HS81MG steering solution

Now I am off to clean the beast and... now it smells and looks like a Nitro..

Oh and this is a truly magnificent little toy

acsubie
01-26-2006, 01:03 PM
hey mondo..what break in procedure did you use buddy?

also, yea the fuel lines were one of the 1st things i swapped out, also added a fuel filter;)

Mondo
01-26-2006, 05:08 PM
acsubie,

None yet.
Did a tank at half throttle on standard needle settings. I'm using an oil rich fuel, Blue Thunder 25% Nitro Sport Formula. There was plenty of smoke so it was rich enough, but it didn't get too hot - it was cold out today.
I will break it in the way I break my big Nitros in - a few tanks half throttle, then increase the throttle as I get more tanks thru it. The last few tanks and I'll lean the mixture out a little. The LSN is set perfect in it's factory settings - passes the pinch test fine.

I also changed fuel lines and I found my exhaust leak was at the manifold, not at the coupling as I originally suspected.
There was so much oil on the chassis from the exhaust leak I had to do a tear down and remove the engine, radio box, steering servo and fuel tank to clean the residue off. I've sorted the manifold leak out and now the 'zorst seals great.
The steering/throttle servos are quite different to those on the RC18T. They're more like a Hitec HS55 type. A new servo mount would be needed to make an HS81/MG fit on it.
Hopefully it will warm up over the weekend so I can stretch its legs a little.

acsubie, let us know how it goes with yours :)

Mondo
01-28-2006, 03:12 PM
New parts fitted - 3Racing stuff that's originally for the Mini Inferno

Alloy oil shocks
Blue alloy front and rear shock towers
Blue alloy wing mount
Alloy hexes
Even more stainless hex caps
Heavy duty fuel line

Mini Inferno hop ups fit without any fuss at all. The only other improvements it needs is an alloy steering plate assembly which I'll order next week sometime

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/6409/nb16newparts43iv.th.jpg (http://img363.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nb16newparts43iv.jpg)

With my TTR race buggy

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/5290/nb16eb4s255aj.th.jpg (http://img363.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nb16eb4s255aj.jpg)

I hope the weather improves so I can get a few tanks thru the critter.

acsubie
01-28-2006, 04:31 PM
looking good mondo..i actually got to play with mine today also..the weather was great..50+ in the middle of january..couldnt ask for anything better..anyway got about 4 tanks in thru it, all at 1/2 throttle to break her in, with an occasional "punch", lol

anyway the 1st tank i left the factory settings, but i noticed the pipe was spitting out lots of fuel so i figured it might be a tad rich so i began to lean in very small increments, performance increased and the motor temps hardly got hotter, to tell you the truth i was on the very safe side...i think i gotta begin to tinker with my LSN now though..it would occasionally cut off aftr i stopped it and it would sit idle.

anyway, seems like this r/c will be a blast..just clean up is a pain:mad:..

ps heres a pic of mine with a few alloy parts

Mondo
01-28-2006, 05:13 PM
acsubie

Thanks for the update, good to see you got yours out too! That is the bummer about Nitro, the residue from the fuel's oil!
These are awesome little cars, mine was also very rich, but I only put one tank thru it so far, so the leaning out/LSN setting is still to be done.

Acsubie how does the NB16 turn/steer in comparison to the Mini Inferno/Half8??
To be honest I think the turning circle is quite big compared to my my other small scales, in fact it only uses 61% of my TX's steering. I dialled the unused steering radius out with the EPA setting. I do want to beef the steering servo up, but I hope the alloy steering slider will remove some slop and give me more steering...

Jon from URC (http://www.unitedrc.com/) is investigating the possibility of a 6.0VDC RX pack, that should make all the difference regarding the electronics.

acsubie
01-28-2006, 06:55 PM
i never ran my kyosho with the stock servo so i cant comment on the turning radius in stock form, but with a beefy hs-225mg servo man the kyosho turns on a dime, the NB isnt that bad, could def be better, i might try just shoe gooing a hitec into the NB, but not to sure how the "goo" will hold with the servo vertical since there is not that much contact area

one thing i did notice is that the screws holding the stock knuckles were entirely too tight, creating some binding..you might wanna check them out mondo

man i hope tomorrow's weather is good also so i can actually "get on" the NB:p

alfred
01-29-2006, 11:09 AM
Mr. Mod and Acsubie.....nice rides man....i see you fellas are having fun....Nice hopups Mondo....im sure it will make it stronger...Now all you need to get is an inline fuelfilter......so how fast do you guys think this buggy can go....:p

Mondo
01-29-2006, 12:59 PM
I got a nother two tanks thru it this afternoon and managed to lean it out just a little as it was running a little rich.
The exhaust leak is sorted but there is a little seepage on the manifold join that is held together with two screws. I got some LocTite gasket sealer, so that should help sort it until I can get my mits on the alloy tuned pipe for it.

Like acsubie, I also gave the throttle a few good stabs to see what it is capable of. Not too shabby at all, but I know I have electric Micros that are quicker.
Things will certainly be different once the beast is run in and leaned out.

I am working on making an HS81MG servo fit to the chassis and I do believe there is room for improvement on the steering.
Other than that this is a magical little Nitro that mikes me smile every time that little 0.5 engine fires up and buzzes like a wasp!

alfred
01-29-2006, 01:09 PM
I see you had fun today Mondo....Why does it require so much maintenence so far....

BLiND
01-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by alfred
I see you had fun today Mondo....Why does it require so much maintenence so far....

ALL nitro's require a ton of maintenence :D

the vibrations from the engine loosen screws, the fact it is oil lubricated from the fuel means it gets everything all gooey, etc

Mondo
01-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by BLiND
ALL nitro's require a ton of maintenence :D

the vibrations from the engine loosen screws, the fact it is oil lubricated from the fuel means it gets everything all gooey, etc

But that's what makes Nitro so much fun! Plus, nothing beats the smell of a Nitro engine running and the scream of a well tuned engine

alfred
01-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Yeah i understand all that.....since i have one also......Hey Mr. Mod did you take the baffle out of the pipe....it will make it louder...:D

oXYnary
01-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Plus, nothing beats the smell of a Nitro engine running and the scream of a well tuned engine.

Or gives you a headache. :p ;)

CrAsH
01-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Got mine thursday. Broke it in and headed to the races on Saturday night. I was the most popular person there. Everyone wanted to play with the buggy.

Did have a problem though. After a couple big jumps, which were handled quite well, a few teeth got knocked out of the spur gear. After that it didn't take long to totally destroy the spur gear. Would love to see a metal spur gear. Now I got to wait a week to get another one in the mail. Any ideas of another spur that might fit?

Matt

BLiND
01-29-2006, 10:00 PM
is there no slipper clutch on the spur?

a metal spur gear will only move the damage to the transmission or the diffs, I would highly advise AGAINST getting one

CrAsH
01-29-2006, 10:07 PM
What about an itty bitty lipo battery for the receiver. Would be small enough and pack 7.4 volts?

Matthew

CrAsH
01-29-2006, 10:09 PM
No, no slipper. Afraid the jumping is just gonna do damage to the plastic spur again. There needs to be some give somewhere.

Matthew

alfred
01-29-2006, 10:09 PM
A lot if not all RX's are rated for 6volts only.....and if you plan on using anything over that you might just have a small bonfire...lol...

CrAsH
01-29-2006, 10:20 PM
I've been using a 7.4 lipo in my truggy for a month with no issues. I need to recharge once a week maybe and it really powers the steering.
I've got a novak receiver in the nb16. I'm afraid of the servos. Could they handle it?

BLiND
01-29-2006, 10:21 PM
2/3aaa's are 300mah but 5 should easily fit where the stock 4 aaa holder is located.

runtime would be pretty horrid though, as regular aaa's can be 850mAH as NiMH's

lipo's will not work, unless you want to use a voltage dropping resister on the pack which will also constantly draw some power. Totally not worth the trouble IMO.

alfred
01-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Just looking at the rx side of things so this of course is off topic....Im behind the learning curve.....it seems that the rx voltage can go up that high....Some old rx's can be up to 6 to 8.4 volts......And i was checking the Spektrum site and this is what i found......

What receiver battery voltage can I use?
3.2 to 9.6volts

And i also checked Novak as well and they have no mention of it at all....(rx max voltage) 7.4volts would really cause the servos to spin.....:p

Mondo
01-30-2006, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by BLiND
is there no slipper clutch on the spur?

No Kev, no slipper at all. Then again I've never come across an 8th scale buggy with a slipper!
I'll make a point of stocking up on spurs when parts become available.
Stella and other HK EBay Sellers stock the kits but no parts or hop ups yet. Internet RC do (http://store.yahoo.com/internet-rc/ircra1sc4wdn.html) but I refuse to pay their insane US$35+ shipping charges to the UK, so I'll have to wait for Stella and co. to stock parts....

BLiND
01-30-2006, 02:19 AM
oh duh, I forgot for a moment this was a nitro.

just dont land while on the gas, there is a clutch in the clutchbell :D

oXYnary
01-30-2006, 02:48 AM
Mondo.. why not order the parts from Piktor Miwi or whomever they are. They are a french company right?

Could order from a hobby shop in france.

http://www.piktor.fr/

Thats the same as the Internet RC one right? Which is the same as the ace..

Or am I totally off here?

Anyhow they list Helger Racing as the distributor for the UK.

Mondo
01-30-2006, 02:33 PM
The Miwi is a totally different animal - but it does use the same engine as the NB16.
I do like the Miwi's exhaust :)

CrAsH
01-31-2006, 12:50 PM
Go to www.internet-rc.com

Check out the vulcan and vulcan SE replacement parts.

They carry all the replacement parts including the spur.

They also have the 2 speed transmission, aluminum shocks, and suspension parts. I already ordered the aluminum tuned pipe.

oXYnary
01-31-2006, 01:19 PM
crash, read what Mondo said.

Internet RC do but I refuse to pay their insane US$35+ shipping charges to the UK,

CrAsH
01-31-2006, 02:25 PM
OOPS. I noticed that after I hit send. I've ordered multiple extras and will post when they arrive to let everyone know the shipping situation and the quality. Hopefully, the spur gear will get here in time for racing this Saturday.

Matthew

CrAsH
02-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Even though the website said all the items should ship next business day, i got an email back that said they should ship in 2-3 weeks.
Definately not gonna be ready for racing this Saturday.

Matt

BLiND
02-01-2006, 05:13 PM
2-3 weeks to ship your order that was $35 in shipping charges?

dude, that blows!

alfred
02-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Im not a very patient person when it comes to waiting.....but dont think about it and before you know it, its right outside the door.:D

Mondo
02-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Yesterday I managed to install a Hitec HS81MG servo into the NB16.
The NB16 still retains the standard rear (left) servo mount with a PCB post being used on the front (right). It's a tight squeeze and doesn't look overly brilliant but it works! I did have to drill and countersink the chassis too.
Another thing I had to do was make a new exhaust retainer, this was done using 2mm threaded stock bar.
It hasn't been tested with the HS81 as I am awaiting an alloy Mini Inferno steering kit. Once I've fitted the steering upgrade I'll let you know how it works out

http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/4921/nb16hs81mg4hd.th.jpg (http://img484.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nb16hs81mg4hd.jpg) http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/628/nb16hs81mg24on.th.jpg (http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nb16hs81mg24on.jpg)

UNITED_RC
02-05-2006, 09:15 AM
very nice...

Great job!

URC

alfred
02-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Looking good Mondo......:D

Mondo
02-06-2006, 12:05 PM
The Mini Inferno alloy steering slider kit arrived today
To install this part I removed the entire front bulkhead which was easy: 4 screws and loosen the gearbox screws a little. The diff gears are plastic, they look solid as they're large. (see photo)

Fitting the Mini Inferno steering slider was not as simple as I had expected. The NB16's front bulkhead (obviously) has different dimensions to that of the Mini Inferno, so the steering slider sits too low and catches on the bulkhead!
Not to be outdone I inverted the flange bearings and shimmed the steering slider bar up with stainless steel washers. This worked a treat but it's only temporary until I can get an Acme alloy steering assembly.

As for the steering, well there's still a little slop in it but the steering repsonse with the HS81MG fitted is awesome.
My usable EPA range has gone up from 60% to 80%, so that's a whopping 25% more turn!

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2939/nb16diff6vs.th.jpg (http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nb16diff6vs.jpg) http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3503/nb16alloysslider6ti.th.jpg (http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nb16alloysslider6ti.jpg)

I'll be testing the new configuration out over the weekend. Hopefuly some of the HK resellers will stock NB16 hop ups so I can get a proper NB16 alloy steering assembly hop up.

alfred
02-06-2006, 06:17 PM
So far looking good man...;)

enzo142yk
02-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Hi guys , i m enzo and i m new to this forum. i m glad i ll be part of yr team. Ok i habve a half 8 and i wanna buy the NB16. The problem is that nobody has it. nobody in ebay. I found a store in england but they wont ship it in new york. Please if anyone knows a store or how do i search the nb16 in ebay to buy it cause i m gonna go crazy. Since i saw the little monster i fall in love with it. Actually i ve seen the vulcan but its a way to expensive than the NB16.

Thanks and glad to be part of yr team. ;)

Mondo
02-07-2006, 02:47 AM
enzo142yk,

Welcome to YourMicro.com :) Glad to have you onboard!
The NB16 came and went as far as EBay sales are concerned. I saw it listed on a Saturday night and bought it from Stella, a HK based reseller. After a few days Stella had no stock, another HK Seller also had some but his Ebay store insn't listend them any more either.
The Vulcan is the same thing, just overpriced. The UK shop that sells them in Nitrotek, the UK Acme distributor and direct seller - a little like Internet RC. I am sure that they will appear back on Ebay soon.

sunktothenutz
02-07-2006, 04:12 AM
Hi enzo,
i have sent you a email regarding buggy.

Cheers simon.

acsubie
02-07-2006, 06:46 AM
click me!!! (http://www.rc-union.com/product_info.php?products_id=6025&osCsid=94e01641ae43ab48382e38864938a175)

enzo142yk
02-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys, but i got one from a friend. now my question is. i got the half 8 and i ve changed everything to metal. front and rear bulkheads suspen arms etc. i got pics too. if i take the front and rear part as it is in the pic, will it be fitted in nb16?

Mondo
02-07-2006, 02:30 PM
enzo142yk,

From what I've read, the NB16 has different differentials to the Mini Inferno, apparently they are bulkier and look to be stronger.
I have no idea if the Mini Inferno diffs will hold up on the NB16, I guess you can only try it and let us know.

Supraman93
02-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Mondo,

Did your NB16 come with the RX + TX ? Please keep us updated on the good and bad and I'm just waiting to they start showing up again.

Thank You,

Lostinturn3
02-07-2006, 06:43 PM
the key to a nitro engine is a proper break-in. this requires a few tanks of fuel run thru the car @ little above idle.

Mondo
02-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Lostinturn3
the key to a nitro engine is a proper break-in. this requires a few tanks of fuel run thru the car @ little above idle.

That a contentious subjct. I run all nitros in without the idling process - and the NB16 manual stipulates that the engine should not be idled (or bench run) to run it in
They state that it should be run at 1/4 throttle for 2 tanks, 1/3rd for another 2, 3/4.. etc.. with a cool off period between tanks.
This is a little like Traxxas' run in routine for the TRX series engines. The NB16 manual states that it takes approximately 10 tanks to run it in.

Admittedly the Toki 0.5 engine is very stable and well behaved. It's the same make of engine that XRay are using in their Nitro series of Micros, so it is a decent powerplant

oXYnary
02-08-2006, 07:57 PM
It's the same make of engine that Losi are using in their Nitro series of Micros, so it is a decent powerplant

You mean Xray or you know something we don't?

enzo142yk
02-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Can we use xray`s nt18 nitro18 engine in the nb16?

Mondo
02-09-2006, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by oXYnary
You mean Xray or you know something we don't?

Excuse me, I meant Team XRay. The Piwi mini buggy also uses the Toki engines

birdy233
02-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Hello, new to the forum. I was wondering where to find a NB16. Nitrotek has them in stock but won't ship to the US (even though the website checkout shows they do). Any help would be appreciated!

TNB
02-11-2006, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Supraman93
Did your NB16 come with the RX + TX ?
The NB16 is an ARTR while the Vulcan is a RTR.
Originally posted by Mondo
Excuse me, I meant Team XRay. The Piwi mini buggy also uses the Toki engines
Don't you mean the Piktor Miwi? P-iwi. Cute.

If anyone is interested, there is also the Schumacher Rascal. Although that 1/16th scale mini is actually a truck, it does come with a .18 or 3.0cc engine in ARTR or RTR--that's like having a Traxxas engine (or actually a Sirio 3.0 instead of a 2.5) in a 1/16th scale.

Here is a link to a review.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/newproduct.cfm?product_id=883

And a photo of the Kyosho Mini-Inferno "nitro" protoype.
http://209.2.68.15:8011/pics/nmini1.jpg

Mondo
02-11-2006, 04:53 AM
Schumacher's new offering doesn't quite fall into the "Micro" class at 16th scale..

The NB16 is RTR, I bought mine RTR although I have replaced the RX and Steering Servo
It was over $100 cheaper than the standard/non hopped up Vulcan offering
They are a little scarce right now, but EBay Sellers should be stocked up in the not too distant future

BLiND
02-11-2006, 04:55 AM
oooh I think I want that rascal :D

.18 in a 1/16th truck that uses buggy tires (and super nitro rs4 tires :D ) sounds good to me!

Sideshow Bob
02-11-2006, 05:20 AM
Hi,

I have been into micro rc's for sometime , and have just got a NB16. It's the first Nitro I have owned so I have a few questions you guy's can hopefully help with.
1. What is the best fuel for running in ?
2. Am i right in thinking that the main needle valve is the one that sticks out of the body, and the idle adjuster is in the end of the carb' slide ?
3.Are the majority of the hop up parts for a mini inferno a straight fit ?
4.Will Mini Infreno Wheels fit ?
5.Best place to buy spares / hop ups ?
6.Has anybody replaced the servos with HS55 's they look very similar in size ?

Cheers for the info already posted . It convinced me to buy one,

:D

enzo142yk
02-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Ok guys, what u will see is an NB16 chassis with everything else from mini inferno`s hop ups. And everything fitted so nice that i couldnt believe it myself. check this pic out. The only quest s what kind of steering servo should i use and will fit there.

Thanks

alfred
02-11-2006, 11:53 AM
That is just SWEET........looks just too good to run.:D

birdy233
02-11-2006, 12:22 PM
So the wheels, arms, front and rear hubs, etc all work from the inferno?

TNB
02-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Mondo
[B]Schumacher's new offering doesn't quite fall into the "Micro" class at 16th scale..
In my opinon, it appears to be more of a marketing thing that an actual standard. For that matter the Kyosho Mini-Z is 1/28 and the Losi Mini-T is 1/18th while the Xray M18 is also a 1/18th and considered a Micro. If you also compare the length provided by Tower for the Vendetta, it is the same as the length shown by Kyosho regarding the Mini-Inferno--which I pointed out to those apparently teching at the upcoming 1/18th scale Nats. And of course, the CEN Mini-Madness is gigantic compared to any of the other Minis and is allowed to run with the 4WD.

BoltonModelMart
02-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi all, found this forum after ordering NB16s for the shop (+1 for me) They look awesome, already ordered hop ups for it!

I was wondering if anyone knows where the Vulcan SE pipe and 2 speed can be orderered from - other than IRC, the postage rates seem a bit steep.

Just to let any Americans know if you are struggling to get one, we can ship worldwide, give us a call or order on line - postage will be billed seperately at cost. Not trying to sell really just seems a shame for ppl not to get them when they could do.

Pete

Mondo
02-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Sideshow Bob
1. What is the best fuel for running in ?

I ran mine and all my Nitros in on at least 25%. Just stick with a goods brand like Byrons, ODonnel, Blue Thunder etc..
Originally posted by Sideshow Bob
2. Am i right in thinking that the main needle valve is the one that sticks out of the body, and the idle adjuster is in the end of the carb' slide ?

The High Speed Needle adjust is the verticaly mounted screw on the carb with the fuel nipple beneath it.
Clockwise = leaner (hotter)
Anti/Counter clockwise = richer (cooler)

The Low Speed Needle is situated in the center of the alloy assembly that the throttle link is attached to.
You shouldn't need to adjust this during initial break in

Lastly the idle ajust sits at the bottom of the slider at an angle.

Originally posted by Sideshow Bob 3.Are the majority of the hop up parts for a mini inferno a straight fit ?
Most parts are, however I had some clearance issues on the alloy steering linkage bar and the NB16's front bulkhead. I resovled it using spacers although this a temporary fix.

Originally posted by Sideshow Bob 4.Will Mini Infreno Wheels fit ?
Yes, as will some 10th scale touring car wheels if you use Hex Adapters. The Mini Inferno hex adapters do not work, you will need longer ones. I use CAW RC18T hexes

Originally posted by Sideshow Bob 5.Best place to buy spares / hop ups ?
In the US try Internet-RC (http://store.yahoo.com/internet-rc/ircra1sc4wdn.html)

Originally posted by Sideshow Bob 6.Has anybody replaced the servos with HS55 's they look very similar in size ?
They are similar size. I replaced my steering servo with an HS81MG, this can be seen on Page 3 of this Thread.

Originally posted by Sideshow Bob Cheers for the info already posted . It convinced me to buy one

Pleasure. Enjoy the NB16 and keep us up to date :¬)

BoltonModelMart
02-12-2006, 12:11 PM
thanks for that mondo...

glad you pointed out that the mini inferno hex set dont fit.

do you happen to know if the mini inferno wheel and tyre sets fit, also what is the standard hex size.....

i know if i waited till tommorow i could take a look, but I am well excted by them, tbh honest nothing in the last few years has got me going like this!

Pete

Mondo
02-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by BoltonModelMart
Hi all, found this forum after ordering NB16s for the shop (+1 for me) They look awesome, already ordered hop ups for it!

I was wondering if anyone knows where the Vulcan SE pipe and 2 speed can be orderered from - other than IRC, the postage rates seem a bit steep.

Internet RC are expensive, period. Their Vulcan costs over $100 more than the genuine Acme it's based on.
I am also looking for an alloy exhaust as the standard unit is crap.
Contact has been made with Omar at Nitrotek, the UK distributor regarding the alloy pipe. He said they if they get "enough interest", he may order some in the future.

BoltonModelMart
02-12-2006, 12:30 PM
will give him a bell tommorow and get on his case.. did he mention the 2 speeds at all?

acsubie
02-12-2006, 01:24 PM
man...cold weather go away..MUST FINISH breaking in my NB..just to cold right now!!

Mondo
02-12-2006, 01:34 PM
will give him a bell tommorow and get on his case.. did he mention the 2 speeds at all?

On Nitrotek's price list: 30850 Two speed complete 1 set £12.99 Bargain at £13

BoltonModelMart
02-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Thankyou ;-)

Pete

Supraman93
02-12-2006, 05:46 PM

Just to let any Americans know if you are struggling to get one, we can ship worldwide, give us a call or order on line - postage will be billed seperately at cost. Not trying to sell really just seems a shame for ppl not to get them when they could do.

Pete

Pete,

Checked your site out and tried to register but it does not list US for the country cause I'm trying to get an idea on how much shipping to the US is for the NB16.

Thank You,

BoltonModelMart
02-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Email sent supra man ;-)

Pete

TNB
02-12-2006, 06:03 PM
So what is the shipping cost?

Buggy price shown on website...
136 British Pounds
237.374 USD
http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

BoltonModelMart
02-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Roughly $20, certainly if its is more than $25 we would pick up the extra.

Pete

TNB
02-12-2006, 06:17 PM
So $237.37 USD + $20 USD = $257.37.

Not a lot of difference from IRC if you were to ship one to the US. Local support here appears to be good so far as well as direct support from IRC--I write that since they are sending me a new front and rear manifold. Whether it is the stock one or the alloy one, I won't know until it arrives which should be early this week.

BoltonModelMart
02-12-2006, 06:21 PM
realistically uk prices are never really that competitive against the US.

I do believe in supporting your local LHS whemever possible as they (we) do try to give a lot of help to those getting started in the hobby, so if you can pick them up locally, even if a few £$£$ more.

Pete

TNB
02-12-2006, 06:30 PM
I agree. After all, if the LHS can't sell RTRs and Kits, they probably won't keep parts in stock or even remain in business. In the end, sometimes a little local good will helps more in the long run than saving a few bucks. I also don't like to wait for a part if I am at the nearby track racing and break something, so it is also nice to have a LHS in the area even if I do some online ordering. At times, if the LHS is "high" and realizes it, they will work with the buyer, but of course, it depends on the "item" and the "buyer".

ninjamonkey
02-14-2006, 04:01 PM
hello everybody, im a new guy here. i ordered mines about 3 weeks ago and it finally arrived. it took forever because i ordered it from HK and im from CA, USA. its so cool, i always wanted a micro nitro rc and i finally got one. im going to take pixs and on the weekend im going for a test drive. i think the first thing im going to order after i save more money are the alloy shock towers and the bulkhead, the original ones arent that great, too much flex.... does anybody know if anyone is making/selling any mincro monster trucks. i saw it on a mag but it was just a concept.

thanks for reading. this is a really cool site.

i have a question... can i use kyosho half8 parts? which ones? thanks in advance!!!

Mondo
02-17-2006, 08:46 AM
Most Mini Inferno suspension parts will fit:

Shock Towers
Shocks
Suspension Arms
Wing mount
Wing/s

ninjamonkey
02-22-2006, 09:56 PM
this buggy is a blast. i did the break-in this afternoon. the exhaust leaked a little, shocks spring sucks so i changed it right away, less than 5 minutes per tank, minor collision but survived without any damage at all, great performance all the way!! this thing never ran hot at all, i was so surprised, you can touch the heat sink without getting hurt.

next week im planning to swap parts and transform the bug into a truck.

as of right now.... cleanup.. got hella dirty due to fuel exhaust leak.

quick ?, which and where can i get hex adapters so tat i can use other rims and tires for this bug. thanks in advance.

alfred
02-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the Nitro Micro Club man......even though im not a part of it yet.....lol..;)

ninjamonkey
02-23-2006, 09:44 PM
hey guys i have some bad news with the mini buggy. it seems that the parts are really flimsy, the thing that holds the dogbone broke and i wasnt even playing with the bug hard. right now im trying to figure out where to buy the part. does anybody know other mini inferno parts fit the bug, if not then i'll have to fabricate the piece. darn it. many thanks and hopefully i find the part.

hezza
02-26-2006, 06:24 PM
heyup, just found this forum.bought nb16 last week,well cool looking beast.finished break in this weekend but i'm already on my third diff outdrive cup.thinking that the cold weather is not helping with plastic parts,looking at alloy mini inferno parts from rcmart hope they are a reliable seller as there are loads of hop ups on there that should fit.

ninjamonkey
02-27-2006, 03:38 AM
ordered replacement parts, alloy parts are coming this week. hopefully everything works out fine. i'll keep you guys updated on things. laters

ninjamonkey
02-28-2006, 11:17 PM
i got my alloy parts and they fit fine. it looks so cool. everythings so light.

has anyone purchased parts from IRC and how long did it take, im in the US and they told me its going to take 2-3 weeks just for them to order it. that doesnt include the time from there shop to my house...

does anyone know somewhere else to buy parts for nb16..

thanks for reading.

i'll put more pixs when i get my camera back.

laters.

uncle-dude
03-01-2006, 06:21 AM
Check this site for ACME & IRC 1/16 NITRO BUGGY HOP-UPS : -

http://store.yahoo.com/internet-rc/ircra1sc4wdn.html

:D

ninjamonkey
03-02-2006, 09:38 PM
thats where i bought the original diff and case set. i was just wondering if anyone else knew another place where i can buy original parts for the bug.

has anyone transplanted diff gears from half 8 into one of these? how much do you guys think it will cost to make the diff gears metal?

laters.

ninjamonkey
03-02-2006, 09:42 PM
the smaller they are the more replacement it will need. i have owned several 1/10 and 1/8 scale on and off road toys and they were ablast to play with and it hardly broke. for my nitro rushi havent changed anything except the clutch shoes and tires on that thing.

i cant wait for a mini nitro monster truck to be available to the public, i know there are prototypes but i just want to get one asap heehehhee.

lates

hezza
03-03-2006, 03:09 PM
whoops, had a few to many last night and ordered 130 quids worth of hop ups, hope they are allright. hey ninjamonkey have you got the alloy out drive cups? just wondering if they are any good??

ninjamonkey
03-06-2006, 09:32 PM
i havent had the funds as of yet so im going to buy that later on.

inferno parts fit except the knuckle arms.

cleaned up th ecar for alloy fitting and it looks great. pixs coming soon.

has anyone used any other vehicle parts for the nb??

thanks

searat
03-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi,
I just ordered one of these afer runnig into this thread a couple of days ago. I also ordered the alum tuned pipe, 2-speed tranny, extra spur gears, alum shock towers and some other stuff as I wanted to avoid any additional $35.00 shipping charges. However, I have a few questions:

- I noticed that you have to specify front or rear wheels. Why are they different? All my other 4wd trucks/buggies use the same wheels in the front and back.

- Is there a particular Rx battery pack (6V) that will fit in this?

- I can't find any info on the Toki 05 engine. Their website http://www.tokiengine.co.jp/main.htm does not list a car engine of this size. Where do you get parts for this engine?

Thanks, this is a great forum.

ninjamonkey
03-29-2006, 10:07 PM
just a heads up.. if you buy something from internet-rc, it will talke more than 3 weeks for delivery. good parts but poor shipping.

The front tire and wheel is alot smaller than the back. the rear is about 10-15 mm wider.

i still use regular duracell battery

as for the engine, we're in the same boat.

this mini bug kicks butt.

acsubie
03-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by ninjamonkey
just a heads up.. if you buy something from internet-rc, it will talke more than 3 weeks for delivery. good parts but poor shipping.

The front tire and wheel is alot smaller than the back. the rear is about 10-15 mm wider.

i still use regular duracell battery

as for the engine, we're in the same boat.

this mini bug kicks butt.

not true at all !!!...i ordered a tuned alloy pipe for my vulcan on a wed. and had it installed in my vulcan by friday..yes sir, just w/ reg. USPS priority..and they are in arizona and im in NJ..they got great CS IMO

Mondo
03-30-2006, 01:27 AM
I sold my NB16 off as the 2006 Nitro race season kicks off soon and just like all my Micros, the NB16 will be another dust collector.
They are great little trucks and the only Achilles heel is the plastic diffs and front outdrives.
I am missing mine allready, but at least its gone to someone who will appreciate and use it..

ninjamonkey
03-30-2006, 01:44 AM
that is true, the diff sucks and the front out drive also. as for me, i resolved that problem by using mini inferno diff( yes they fit) and bought rear outdrives and they work much better than before.....im sorry to hear that the mini is gone. im keeping this baby till every piece of the bug breaks. i just like this mini, i have other nitro vehicles but this one is my favorite. if i had enough money i would like to buy another one to add to my collection. thats about it for now...

if any of you guys have pixs of your mini, can you post them? i'll post more later.

laters dude

Wheelnut
04-28-2006, 08:25 PM
New to the forum. I have been a member of another fourm for a long time, but since I just bought my NB16 I just happened on this site:) I have read this thread in its entirety and you guys were very informative. Here is a link to some tires I am looking for. Also have you found a good place to get the aluminum tuned pipe in the States yet?
http://www.rccartips.com/mini-rc-gas-buggy.htm

GingGangGooly
04-29-2006, 05:43 PM
Hi. Has anybody suffered fuel leaking from the crankshaft at the flywheel/clutch end?
Mines been like it since new. I use a tank of fuel in 2 mins on idle as it is leaking that bad. I have contacted Nitrotek who suggested using silicone sealant instead of the standard gaskets....
I have thought abot buying another enginer but can't find one - any ideas where I can get an engine (working) from??

PaulC2K
05-15-2006, 10:42 AM
Hey Pete, small world! :D

Im knackered having spent Thurs-Sat trawling round the south west with Lee trying to get these kits and others into the modelshops down there.
All the shops we visited down there loved the NB16, and its no suprise really!
We had customers coming into shops while Lee's giving it the sales pitch wanting to buy them there and then hehe.

He's got one buggy kitted out with most of the blue alloy hopups too (you know what Lee's like with his blue! Nosram ESC and replacement LRP case etc), and despite my expensive and short lived adventure in the nitro world i want one!

Does anyone know of a contact address for Acme Racing by any chance, im going to see if HRP distribution will take these on in the US because there an absolute steal for what you get and how adjustable they are.

Mondo:
The kits coming through now have the same diff outdrives in the front as they do in the rear, so out with the plastic and in with the alloy, which should make these pretty solid straight out of the box.

Wheelnut
05-15-2006, 03:29 PM
I bought my NB16 at the link below. $163.00 ARR
http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info.php?products_id=9981

Wheelnut
05-15-2006, 06:25 PM
I received the aluminum pipe for the Vulcan today and it fits my ACME NB16. And it looks alot better.

slawsonb
05-28-2006, 12:42 AM
Here is another place that carries the Vulcan standard and Vulcan SE RTR buggies.

http://2wheelhobbies.com/index.php?cPath=28

Wheelnut
05-28-2006, 08:33 AM
Here are a couple of pictures of my NB16 with a couple of upgrades. Aluminum tuned pipe, Blue aluminum shock towers, wing mount, body mounts.

Wheelnut
05-28-2006, 08:35 AM
I couldn't figure out how to attach multiple pics so here are a couple more.

Wheelnut
05-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Front

Wheelnut
05-28-2006, 08:38 AM
Side

alfred
05-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Dang that is nice man.....so i can see from the rubbers that you use that its a pavement racer only.:p

ITSME
05-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Man i need to get out more this is the first time ive seen this rig, that little bugger is to cool how much was it and were can i get one.:cool:

Wheelnut
05-28-2006, 11:03 AM
I got mine here:
http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info.php?products_id=9981
I got the ARR because I had a few micro receivers laying around. All I had to do is pop in the receiver and receiver batteries and I was ready to go. And believe me, you need a MICRO receiver so it will fit in the radio box. lol. I have put about another $60.00 in upgrades. like the aluminum pipe, shock towers, wing mount and street slicks. I like the NB16 better than the Vulcan because the Body looks much better. Other than that they are the same buggy. I can't wait till the .09 competition motors come out. The stock motor is a .05, it runs good and stable and is easy to tune and its pretty quick. But you know how it goes. Just can't wait for the bragging rights to the new motor and better speed.

rcboyit
05-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi to all!
I'm a long time modeler (even if I'm young) from Italy and I just bought an Acme NB16. Here in Italy we have the Vulcan sold from an official distributor, but I found a good offer on the Acme so I bought it. It's quite good but...my diffs have gone to hell on the second day out.......so I just ordered from the usa (sigh it will take a loooong time) two ball diffs from 3racing made for the inferno! I'll let you know as soon as I can how they work, even because they have the dogbone cup (sorry I don't remeber the exact name) in aluminum too! I can't understand why the acme has plastic cups....they teared up in half an hour!
I was wondering in buying even the shock towers. I found a good price on a graphite set from 3racing. what about it? is it good? or better the aluminium ones?
One question more... I can't get good jumps...what about you? Looks like my car lacks power or is too weight...simply doesn't like jumping at all. What about the aluminum pipe?could it give some more power? or is it only a cool factor on the car?
Who has the SE version round here? I found it at a good price and I was wondering if there's a great difference between the two cars. Is it worth the extra money?
Ok, last question because my post is already getting too long! is the bigger motor coming out? who knows something? I found a site talking about the end of may...we're on the end of may! as someone else said some posts up we're getting addicted and some power is alwys welcome!
Cheers to all of you and have good runs!
rcboyit

alfred
05-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Taking the baffle out of the muffler will give you more power....but it will also be louder then before. Graphite is nice and should hold up better then the aluminum towers.

Wheelnut
05-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Graphite is for Racers. Its strong and light. Aluminum is strong and will last a very long time. and you get the nice look. But it is heavier. Don't get the Vulcan SE. I have heard alot of problems with everything being too loose. Can't wait to hear how you new difs work out. Nothing has happened to mine yet.

rcboyit
05-29-2006, 06:34 PM
_> alfred: what do you mean with baffle? I just opened the plastic muffler and it's empy...nothing inside so nothing to be removed...

4all:
Just ordered 3racing shocks and carbon shock towers and the proline crowd pleazer body for the mini-inferno...the original body is horrible. I hope to put on the other one with minor drills (really hope even if someone already told me it's impossible...sorry I'm really stubborn!!!)
I'm already to added to this little toy...more than 80 dollars in stupids hop-ups...
Hope to get them soon to let you know!
Rcboyit

alfred
05-29-2006, 06:44 PM
I guess there isnt one then......usually with a plastic pipe theres a baffle in there to supress a lot of the noise.....;) It was just an idea.

acefreecell
05-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Got mine today (ACME NB16), from Peter at Bolton Model Mart, put on the alu pipe, shock monts and two speed gear box. Running it at the mo and just getting used to the start etc of nitros (not as easy as electric). Many good points on this forum and thanks to all who posted them.

I know this question has been asked before, but do the mini inferno wheels go straight on or do they need adapters? I seem to remember reading about the two, but can not remeber seeing a black or white answer. :confused:

I like the car, and the diffs look ok, but will see how they stand up. Front one has brass drive knuckle things...... (its late) on mine, is this a BMM mod or have ACME changed them?

Wheelnut
05-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Yes the Half * tires will fit. I have both the NB16 and the Half 8. No mods to make the tire fit. :D
Here is a couple of pictures of mine with the upgrades.

Wheelnut
05-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Still can't figure out how to attach multiple pics so heres another.

Wheelnut
05-30-2006, 07:50 PM
One more to go.

Wheelnut
05-30-2006, 07:52 PM
Last one, showing where I had to use a drop of Gorilla glue to keep the hinge pins in. Because the Half 8 Towers are a little different. I couldn't find hop ups for this buggy in blue. Other than holding in the hinge pins they were a perfect fit.

acefreecell
06-03-2006, 04:48 AM
Thanks for that wheelnut, I will get pics of mine posted shortly. It is a blast running it around, the only niggle is the spur gear - easy to take a bite out off.

My reciever unit was a bit faulty, twitched like mad when the engine was running. Contacted Nitrotek (UK) and they sent a replacement out which I got the next day. Fitted and all is fine, great service.

Wheelnut
06-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Yesterday I was running my NB16 with the new 1/10 scale touring tires that was able to mount with the new 1/10 adaptors I installed and the steering servo started acting crazy. At first I thought it was the RX batteries, but nope it was a burned out crappy servo. I put in a JR Micro servo and yeah, it was fixed. The steering response is so much better now:D I am thinking of putting the two speed trans in now, any thoughts on that?
I still can't wait till the .09 competition motor comes out.
Forgot to tell you, I saw the Mayhem Chaos in the LHS yesterday and its crap compared to the NB16. The arms are very small, weak. And you have to screw the gas cap off.:confused: What kind of an idiot designed that feature. These little buggies run out of fuel pretty quick and then you have to pull the body off and unscrew a cap to refill it. :mad:

Wheelnut
06-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Here is a pic of the touring tires

Wheelnut
06-03-2006, 09:16 AM
One more for you.

acefreecell
06-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Sweet pics Wheelnut, can you get those rims in an off road version???? :D

Got my Topcad shocks today and some 5 spoke mini 8 off roads. However, I noteced that they are smaller in diameter, and smaller width on the rear.... Bum, look a tad like space savers. Any one got any idea on 1/10 wheels that will fit (hmmmm Wheelnut).

Back to my dirt bug, it is now sporting the new shocks,so some pics for you.

Anyone got a spare spur gear, mine lost a tooth when the reciever went crazy - see it in the pics. Got four on order, nut another ten days - how long can it run with one tooth mising before the rest go.....

Included is a pic of the back, with the failsafe fitted - looks good at nigth, when I get that low.

acefreecell
06-06-2006, 01:53 PM
another pic....

acefreecell
06-06-2006, 01:54 PM
and another

acefreecell
06-06-2006, 01:54 PM
some more

acefreecell
06-06-2006, 01:56 PM
last one for now, spot the missing tooth............

acefreecell
06-06-2006, 01:58 PM
What a crap speller I am......:p :p :p :p :p

Wheelnut
06-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Ace, good work, looks nice. I see you also upgraded the pipe. Or did yours come with that pipe? Those are 1/10 scale touring tires I have on mine. All I did was go to Ebay and get some 1/10 scale hex adaptors. They were like $12.00. Not sure about off road. Maybe you can go to your local hobby shop and see if they have any rubbers that will fit some 1/10 scale touring rims. Its worth a shot anyway.
I would not run it with a tooth missing. If you do you are risking messing up the spur gear.

acefreecell
06-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Cheers Wheelnut, I got the pipe at the same time as the bug and changed it before I did anything. Read the bits on the forum about leaking pipes etc. Runs a treat, but I want to let it rip and see what the two speed tranny will do. Just finished the running in, so I hope all is well.

Now I have the Nitro smell all over me,I am off to buy a Traxxas REVO, so I can run it around the fields.

Wheelnut
06-06-2006, 07:24 PM
If you can afford it, get the Losi LST2 instead, it is a better truck. I have had quite a few trucks and my friend owns a hobby shop and I have driven about all the trucks out there and I like the LST2 the best. The best feature I like is the High/Low switch on the transmission. You get two low speed gears or two high speed gears. So you can go from rock crawler to racer with one click. :D Also I love the big shocks. They provide the best feeling ride I have ever felt.

rcboyit
06-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi to all!
I made some great (well, at least I think they are great, for the work I had t do!!!!!) mods to the nb16
If you want to have a look this is the post in an italian forum!

http://h8ita.altervista.org/viewtopic.php?t=652

I'll make a translation soon but the pictures are clear enough!
Cheers to all of you and keep up modding!!!!
Rcboyit

alfred
06-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Looks good man........:D

Blackhawk444
07-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Hello. I just ordered my NB16. Also ordered a tuned alum pipe. I cant wait to get it. Just wondering how fast do you guys think it goes with the tuned pipe? I think it is going to be alot of fun. I will post my impressions once I get it. Thanks. :cool:

jchung321
07-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Hello everyone, just received this in a trade last night. I tried it out just to make sure it works. I was surprised how loud this little buggy is, comparable to the larger counterparts!

I have a questions for those that have already upgraded. Does the Mini Inferno CVD's work on this little guy? Or do I have to go with factory IRC option? Maybe going to pick up some hopups for this guy this weekend.:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/jchung321/vulcan.jpg

Wheelnut
07-19-2006, 05:01 PM
What motor is that? I have not seen a NB16 with a read cooling head yet. I have only seen the Vulcan with that color head. Not sure about the CVDs. But I know the tires and shock towers off the Kyosho Half 8 fits. If you search back in this thread a little ways, you will see my buggy with blue aluminum shock towers that were built by 3 racing for the half 8. I have also bought hex adaptors so that I can run 10 scale touring tires. I like to run mine on the street.

jchung321
07-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Oh sorry, I always thought the Vulcan and the NB16 were the same buggy, just different manufacturers.:confused:

May I know what make are the adapters? Thanks!:)

Wheelnut
07-19-2006, 08:16 PM
They were some off name brand and I cant' remember the name. I got them on Ebay, I just did a search and they did not pop up.

jchung321
07-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Sorry, in my last post, I meant different distributors. The Vulcan is distributed by Internet RC, while the NB16 by ACME. Only the Vulcan is available at my LHS's.;)

Wheelnut
07-20-2006, 07:44 AM
I just found a picture I had that shows the manufactuer. They are from Hot Racing.

jchung321
07-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Are those specifically for the Mini Inferno? Because I have another set of RC18T's ones somewhere that look very similar to that. Maybe I will see if it fits.:)

Wheelnut
07-20-2006, 08:19 PM
No they are not specificly fo rthe Mini Inferno. I think they were for the RC18T, But they work great on the half 8.:)

jchung321
07-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks! Just picked up the alloy pipe and a pair of CVD's for the front today.:p

vick
10-03-2006, 01:07 AM
Thanks! Just picked up the alloy pipe and a pair of CVD's for the front today.:p

DId the alloy pipe solve the leaking problem?
Better performance too?
I'm still waiting for the stock of the alu pipe.
In te meantime, wil get some sealant to stop the leak first.

Wheelnut
10-03-2006, 04:25 PM
No the aluminum pipe did not repair the leak. I think its coming out of the oneway bearing. I am saving the money to get the Adam Drake .95 nitro upgrade engine. I think it will be very nice compared to this .05 Toki. Alot faster and I bet it doesn't leak.

vick
10-03-2006, 11:23 PM
No the aluminum pipe did not repair the leak. I think its coming out of the oneway bearing. I am saving the money to get the Adam Drake .95 nitro upgrade engine. I think it will be very nice compared to this .05 Toki. Alot faster and I bet it doesn't leak.

I'm actually looking at this engine.
http://www.shengines.com/tech_data_new_pt0701A.htm

But I'm not sure if it fit and if it's a upgrade or downgrade.
where can I find the spec of our toki .05 engine?

Wheelnut
10-04-2006, 03:10 PM
I don't know where to find the specs on the toki.
I didn't see any prices on that site.

vick
10-10-2006, 09:12 PM
http://pmmc.hp.infoseek.co.jp/nb16/nb16-2.html

anyone know what they doing?
It seem that the SH07 engines is too tall to fit.

Wheelnut
10-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Well I can tell he is boring out the carb air intake from 8mm to 8.5mm. and it also looks like he bored out the crank case

vick
10-12-2006, 04:45 AM
So the SH07 cannot be fitted into the NB16 with sawing off the lower part of the engine?

I Spoilted my pull starter of the toki .05 today.. ARRggggg:eek:

Wheelnut
10-13-2006, 08:26 AM
Nick, that gives you a good excuse to upgrade to the Adam Drake .09 motor

Armstrong_626
10-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Just wanna share my new paintjob.

Kevin

alfred
10-25-2006, 12:50 PM
That is nice man........how long did it take you to paint that up.:D

Al P
12-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi

I need to know the # of turns out for the low speed setting screw (not idle).

The manual says its pre-set at the factory but does not specify # of turns. They specify 3-3/4 to 4-1/2 for the high speed.

Al

greed1
03-27-2007, 03:55 PM
hello
new to forum but had an NB16 for half a year runs realy great but needs a few up grades
how do you adjust the 2 speed and how do you know when you have it right
also a good site for upgrades in the UK is http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/A3007T.htm
they sell metal gear diff for £13
i just broke my plastic ones
graham

Azz949
07-18-2007, 07:50 AM
Hi everyone, as a total beginner I am new to this site and the joys (and pains) of these wicked mini nitro cars. I bought this....

http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/A3010T.htm

A few months ago and am well pleased with it. It has Toki .06 engine, but still suffers the same fuel leaks from the manifold / exhaust gasket, the screws don't seem to do up tight enough, and the gasket was very brittle and broke easy but I've sorted it by making my own gasket and using gasket sealant.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced the low speed needle vibrating loose and actually coming out whilst running. The rubber is still in place. Its done it twice now, and only by pure luck and persistance I found it. Although the needle tip is now damaged, I've been trying to find out where I can get a new one from but have had no luck. Any help appreciated as it still runs, but not very reliably due to the damage to the tip!!:(

VINLO
12-09-2007, 01:54 PM
HI THERE I JUST BOUGHT A NB16 RECENTLY AND WAS WANDERING IF I COULD FIT 12MM HEXAONAL ADAPTERS ONTO THE NB16 BUGGY:confused: . WHOEVER IS AVAIBLE TO HELP ME PLZ DO YOU R THE BEST GREATEST.:) :) :)

VINLO
12-10-2007, 11:56 AM
hi mate nice hex adapters. what mm size ar they? the size which will fit on the nb16? cheers buddy. nice car:)

etivac13
04-13-2009, 12:26 AM
anybody know where i can get a user manual for this? thanks.

hivilicious
06-22-2009, 05:46 PM
hi.. i have a second hand nb16 im running it on omega nitro fuel 25%, the engine gets hot unsually fast,on idle the car accelarates, is this a problem with my nitro fuel?what is the recommended fuel % for the stock engine.. when i got this it was running smooth with the nitro fuel the original owner provided..my friend has a savage and we used his 25% fuel on my nb16..anyhelp would be appreciated thanks

alfred
06-22-2009, 09:24 PM
If i remember my nitro days i believe that you can go up in fuel percentage but you can never go back down in percentage. At least this is what i was told.:D

tgb_rich
01-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Hi Guys,

New to the site!

My brother brought an nb16 buggy from here:

http://www.xnitrorc.co.uk/24-nb16-nitro-buggy.html

He runs it on quickfire 16% and it runs great havn't had any problems with it he has smashed it a few times but they do all the parts 2.

Fixing it is half the fun tho =D

r00x
03-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Hello all,

This thread is a very popular search result on Google. Thanks for everyone's input! I've been reading through as this car has literally just popped through my door this afternoon.

My impressions, for the curious:

I'm running 16% nitro, on which it seems happy. Haven't even started break-in yet, but I did manage to get it running after a lot of panicking about how hard I had to pull the starter cord.

You really have to be a bit vicious with the initial movement, don't you? Otherwise it seizes up on you. I'm hoping after run-in this gets a little 'looser' but it suffices to say the engine has a lot of pinch right now.

Out of the box instructions are crap for a beginner like me - just one page of text telling you to "break it in" but not how; the rest is construction diagrams which is great, but not for setup. No setup for the engine either, which was set wrong out of the box too. Thank heavens for the internet!

The stock servos are a bit naff. Especially the steering servo. I tried switching to a 2.4Ghz system, and it just can't operate on it. It bugs out and whirls from side to side at top speed if you give more than very slow changes to the input. If both servos are plugged in at once, they both bug out regardless. Flippin' proprietary radio systems! I have much bigger and more power-hungry servos that respond fine to that system. I'm using an Ansmann W3 and R3 receiver. I'll switch both of the servos out first opportunity I get.

So far this car has sat blarping on my desk and not much else, I'll try an apprehensive 27Mhz bash tomorrow and see what happens :D

bbeckstrand
07-19-2010, 05:21 PM
It seems that the nitro Mini-Inferno is a much better car. Why would anyone get this when you could get a 09 Mini-Inferno with a bump starter on ebay for $325? :confused:

bbeckstrand
07-19-2010, 05:34 PM
hi.. i have a second hand nb16 im running it on omega nitro fuel 25%, the engine gets hot unsually fast,on idle the car accelarates, is this a problem with my nitro fuel?what is the recommended fuel % for the stock engine.. when i got this it was running smooth with the nitro fuel the original owner provided..my friend has a savage and we used his 25% fuel on my nb16..anyhelp would be appreciated thanks

This sounds like a lean condition, not a problem with your fuel. I would richen the idle needle to calm it down at idle. Check the carb to make sure it isn't open a little bit at idle. Richen the high speed needle if the motor is getting too hot. You should have a good little puff of white smoke when you punch the throttle. Seal up the engine with blue RTV gasket maker. That should solve the problem.:)

bbeckstrand
07-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Hi everyone, as a total beginner I am new to this site and the joys (and pains) of these wicked mini nitro cars. I bought this....

http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/A3010T.htm

A few months ago and am well pleased with it. It has Toki .06 engine, but still suffers the same fuel leaks from the manifold / exhaust gasket, the screws don't seem to do up tight enough, and the gasket was very brittle and broke easy but I've sorted it by making my own gasket and using gasket sealant.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced the low speed needle vibrating loose and actually coming out whilst running. The rubber is still in place. Its done it twice now, and only by pure luck and persistance I found it. Although the needle tip is now damaged, I've been trying to find out where I can get a new one from but have had no luck. Any help appreciated as it still runs, but not very reliably due to the damage to the tip!!:(

You could try coating the o-rings with RTV gasket maker. It would provide a tighter seal and possibly keep it from backing out. If that doesn't work, blue loctite the threads. That will definitely keep the screw from backing out.