PDA

View Full Version : My insanity...

quietfly
04-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Ok so i've been driving my self crazy with the HSE carbon fiber setup particularly with the steering assembly set up. For some reason i just can't get it to work right. It seems like the steering capture block is either bound up or too loose. As i've become increasingly more and more frustrated with this i had an epiphany of sorts, I can fit a full sized more powerfull servo in the space i have allocated to the micro servo and vertical stand. So begun the process of measuring and remeasuring, and finally developing a plan for implementing my mad scheme. I plan on using a hi-tec 645 MG that was left over from my big truck days. As i get closer to implementation i'll start posting pictures of my progress (or lack there of) The obvious question here is why? the answer is i'm not sure except that i know this will solve my binding problem (as 133 oz's of torque solve most binding issues on 1/18 scale rc's :) )
I know eventually i'll want to solve the actualy issue of why the HSE steering capture assembly binds so much, but right now i'm just to frustrated to attemp to look at the issue objectively.

As tim Allen was fond of saying, i haven't met a problem that i couldn't make worst, er i mean "fix" by adding more power.

On the new Chassis front I've spent some prime hours last night measuring and entering the the dimensions from the stock RC18t chassis. I've also found a manufacturing partener who is willing to work with me to create a a prototype that will not bankrupt me.

Believe it or not the hardest part right now is figuring out the "kick" in the front of the chassis and if it can be reproduced by other means with out killing the geometry to much, or if the additional stiffness created by the new chassis material will counteract the proformance loss by the elimination of the front kick. I suspect that we'll have to come up with a way to add the geometry back.

I'll let you know as i get farther along.

thanks for "listening" to me babble.

-Chris "Mad Doc" Carrero :D

rcdriver
04-03-2005, 03:18 PM
:eek: That is alot to read. What company is it that can make the prototype?

Keep us posted chris. :D

quietfly
04-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Sorry I'm not allowed to tell you who's doing the work, but i can tell you they are very reputable in the engineering/prototyping field.

Mondo
04-04-2005, 02:56 AM
Chris,

I haven't run the HSE chassis yet, so I am unaware of the steering issues.
I was never quite happy with the steering block on the HSE chassis or the battery mounts either..

A Hitec HS645MG is one serious servo, I use one on my T-Maxx and I'm going to be fitting one to my new 1:8 buggy too.
The HS645MG is probably capable of causing the HSE chassis to flex!! :D Well, not quite, but OMG that is overkill...

To be honest I am contemplating selling the HSE chassis as I will be transferring the RC18T back to the cheap and cheeful standard chassis this week.

I look forward to your updates :)

-Raymond

quietfly
04-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Mondo
Chris,

I haven't run the HSE chassis yet, so I am unaware of the steering issues.
I was never quite happy with the steering block on the HSE chassis or the battery mounts either..

A Hitec HS645MG is one serious servo, I use one on my T-Maxx and I'm going to be fitting one to my new 1:8 buggy too.
The HS645MG is probably capable of causing the HSE chassis to flex!! :D Well, not quite, but OMG that is overkill...

To be honest I am contemplating selling the HSE chassis as I will be transferring the RC18T back to the cheap and cheeful standard chassis this week.

I look forward to your updates :)

-Raymond

I like the idea of reducing chassis flex, and the HSE does this better than anyother solution yet, however the issue i have with it is not really it's designers fault. What i mean is that with any product that is Cutting edge you have a certain amount of "Well let's throw this up against the wall, and see if it sticks"
We had it with the 540 i don't know of a manufacture that has not had prototyping issue with the first version of of anything they made. I guess i just expected alittle bit more, I was so EXcited once i ordered the HSE chassis. I really wanted it work as is.

in any case i'll keep you all posted with my progress on this

-Chris

quietfly
05-12-2005, 12:00 AM
Man its been a long time........

OK Updates.

After a less than "Friendly" discussion wth my wife about the state of my formal dining room table < i use it as my hobby workbench much to her displeasure> I decided I had to finish up the HSE rc18t or risking coming home and finding all my hobby stuff in a bin outside.

I had pretty much left it in the last condition as the steering issues frustrated the living heck out of me. After taking a look at it with fresh eyes i was able to "macGyver" a solution to my issue.

First i cleaned and deburred all the holes in the steering block do hicky. Then I enlarged the hole in my home made steering linkage. Next I Eliminated the spacer on the right hand side and used an extra long ballstud from a intergy shock mounting kit. I secured the stud on the other side with a nut.

Viola!

It works the steering nolonger binds and i don't have to use UBER servo to force it to work.

I'll post pictures tomorrow to explain all my "technical" jargon :)

-Chris

quietfly
05-19-2005, 02:12 PM
http://www.isocorpinc.com/~quietfly/RC/pics/rc18t/rev31.jpg
Picture of new "Direct" Steering linkage thing

quietfly
05-19-2005, 02:13 PM
http://www.isocorpinc.com/~quietfly/RC/pics/rc18t/rev32.jpg

picture of fully assembled chassis

quietfly
05-19-2005, 02:15 PM
http://www.isocorpinc.com/~quietfly/RC/pics/rc18t/rev33.jpg

with body and 1/10 scale rally tires.

This setup KILLS in dirt/grass

Mondo
05-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by quietfly
with body and 1/10 scale rally tires.

This setup KILLS in dirt/grass

Chris,

What gearing are you running with them big, bad assed touring car wheels?
I have a road and off road set and I've been wondering how the Mamba Brushless would behave with those on the grass...

Also, what can you tell us about your shocks: Make, coil/oil etc.. ? :)

- Raymond

quietfly
05-19-2005, 03:20 PM
Chris,

What gearing are you running with them big, bad assed touring car wheels?

Chris:
I'm running Stock gearing and in tall grass she will wheelie on demand.
<god i love step pin tread!>

I have a road and off road set and I've been wondering how the Mamba Brushless would behave with those on the grass...

- Raymond
Chris:
With proper tires on grass you'll be throughly impressed. one word of caution, i needed to install my stainless out drives after just one run b/c the traction and power was to much for the stockones to handle.

quietfly
05-19-2005, 10:48 PM
http://www.isocorpinc.com/~quietfly/RC/pics/rc18t/rev34.jpg
stainless outdrive pic

Mondo
05-20-2005, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the info Quietlfy :)

I've recently rebuilt my RC18T and I fitted the stainless outdrives with brand new diffs as this pic shows (http://www.yourmicro.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=168412)