PDA

View Full Version : Belt stretching

cracker
06-08-2002, 04:50 PM
I'm running a Team Orion big block with the stock diffs fr and rr. It seems the drive belt stretches a lot after only one or two runs.
Any ideas or suggestions on how to cure this problem?

TIA

duxrneet
06-08-2002, 09:43 PM
Your stock diffs could be binding, not allowing the belt to freely spin (one set of wheels going slower than the other). Get ball differentials Front and Rear. Especially with the big block (I'm assuming you are running more than 4 cells). Your diffs might have stripped already and you didn't notice it.

ZeroSanity
06-09-2002, 01:52 PM
There is a way to make a belt tensioner, I dont remeber where you can go for instructions. Besides ball diffs, ask around about the tensioner.

hpiracer777
10-22-2002, 04:42 PM
i myself just slapped together a belt tensioner. u take the front belt guide thats keep the belt on the pulley in front off. and the screw one washer and two ball bearings onto one side and screw the other side onto the post that holds up you rear deck and drill diff holes for diff tensions.

hpiracer777
10-22-2002, 05:35 PM
here's a picture that might help you.

The Thunderer
10-22-2002, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the idea hpiracer777. I just might try that! I actually bought someone's setup from them and the belt on it is rather loose... so this belt tensioner will be of great help.

BLiND
10-22-2002, 10:36 PM
be careful not to add too much tension, as the belt needs to have a bit of give in it to allow the rear suspension movement to be smooth and evenly damped.

if it works for you, cool...but in my opinion that belt looks overly tensioned.

Mondo
10-23-2002, 02:55 AM
hpiracer777

Nice concept there man.
You've given me an idea too.

MicroGTR
10-24-2002, 04:44 PM
what you should tyr to do is try to put some kind of suspension on the tensioner.

Miha Holc
10-24-2002, 05:05 PM
Today I just put toghether one of my new micros till esc/batteries/receiver install. I tried replacing that plastic "bearings" which act like belt skipping protection with BB 5x2 mm. Maybe I should be little more patient and took more time for the rear, but in the front it was nice replacement. I just needed to shave tiny amount out of right upper suspension arm.
Now the bearing very lightly touches the belt. If I stop the bearing, the belt still runs, but the bearing offers little friction.
I know this mod won't improve anything, but I just have some spare 5x2 mm BB in my box.

If you are interested I will post a pic.

Miha

MicroGTR
10-28-2002, 01:07 PM
post away

Miha Holc
10-28-2002, 01:20 PM
http://yourmicro.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3245&pagenumber=2

dr_hfuhuhurr
10-29-2002, 11:31 AM
Unless your belt is skipping DO NOT bother with a tensioner. You tension on the belt adds drag and robs power. Run your belt as loose as possible without it stretching. On every car I've ever owned with a belt I've actually worked the belt quite a bit to "stretch" it out. If you belt is slipping, which I've never seen in a micro, you'll hear it.

A loose belt is good for the car, so long as it doesn't slip.

Blake
www.2brainsdesign.com