PDA

View Full Version : 10 cells,, is there a way

jaejw1
12-31-2004, 01:36 PM
is there any way to put 10cells in the rc18t,, has anyone dont this yet,, reason asking ,, trying to find the most cost effective way to make my rc18 faster,, and since lipos are out of the question,, i would rather have option of running more or less cells,,

maybe have a way to have the seven cells and have a seperate connector to connect to another 3 or more cells.. and have them velcroed somewhere,,

i would like to purchase a mamba,, after seeing one run yesterday,,

phildogg
12-31-2004, 09:46 PM
bumping this up for ya bro wondering how to get 8 or more in mine also. might just go li-po.
phil

rcdriver
12-31-2004, 10:54 PM
I took a look at a pic since I dont have one. From what Ive seen, it looks like you can put extra cells on the upper deck OR have them on top of the battery hold down bar. Have 2 to 4 or more cells velcroed and have a connector for them. Hope that helps. :)

Mondo
01-01-2005, 05:02 AM
Mine arrived shortly before I left on vacation and I didn't even fire it up :p
However, I did take some photos of it.

Mondo
01-01-2005, 05:22 AM
As the photo shows, there is not a lot of room on the upper deck for extra cells. The RX lives there
The right hand side of the car is filled by the motor, ESC and Servo.

My suggestion is to perhaps get a "hump pack" made that consists of 6 cells on the lower part + 4 cells on top. Any 6+ cell configuration presents a few new challenges though, these are:

Securing the battery - obviously the standard battery strap wont cut it on an 6+4 hump pack!

Weight distribution - the weight bias is going to be towards the left (battery side) of the chassis, so perhaps some small lead weights would be needed to keep the car running in a straight line.

Handling - The added weight of four extra cells is going to take its toll on the standard suspension and the steering response. A shock and Servo upgrade will more than likely be needed to cope with the extra weight. I'm not too confident the standard composite dogbones will last too long with the added weight and Mamba motor combo either.

Bodyshell - The RC 18T's bodyshell is a tight fight, so I believe extra cells mounted centrally or via a hump pack will require an aftermarket bodyshell.

Solutions?

Try some URC Extreme 61 packs, I tried the X23s on my M18 brushless and was amazed with the performance.
I have a few X61s for the RC18T as well as a Mamba 5400 just waiting to be plugged in.

Drop BLiND a mail, he's great at making custom packs, he made some for my T-MAXX RX and Micro RS4's - they rock!
I'm sure he can come up with a 6+4 hump pack to meet your requirements.

LiPoly cells are the way to go, but they're costly and the technology is very unforgiving, as in prone to turning into a pyrotechnics display if charged incorrectly or run completely flat.

So, there is a way, but you have to weigh the pro's and con's up and come up with a solution that you feel comfortable with :)

Another pic of the "electronics" side of the RC18T

bw762
01-01-2005, 10:54 AM
I've put 9 cells in mine and will be putting 10 cells in by next weekend. Here is the link:

http://www.one18th.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14984

The extra batterys are just sitting on the top deck, taped down. It holds fine and can be removed easily for single pack use again. It does add extra weight so I added gold springs and 70wht shock oil. I also removed the shock spacers to lower the ride height since adding batteries increases the CG. My setup is for on-road only.

http://www.one18th.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15119

I think that putting this much power through the RC18 for offroad will bet the crap out of the parts. I have already melted diffs because of the power.

jaejw1
01-01-2005, 11:49 AM
http://www.one18th.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5827

thanks,, this is what i was looking for,, options,,, like how you wired everything... thanks for the pics,,, i will plan on doing a 7cell in the tray and 3 ontop,, might have to pay someone to do it,,, my first attempt at soldering wasnt pretty... thanks again,, i have saved those links in my favorite.. for future reference

Big-Kid
01-02-2005, 04:58 AM
There are plenty of battery places that will do it for you. But like driving, the only way you'll get better is to practice, maybe not with 10 cells though. I use a velcro starp or velcro attached to the chassis and battery in my M18, works great. 10 on one side will be a little unbalanced though. Maybe try it like bw762 and do some over the servo. Good luck.

bw762
01-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Hey Big-kid, looks like we cruise the same boards :D

Big-Kid
01-03-2005, 03:57 AM
Yup, its nice to see fimilar faces:D. Have you noticed any ill effects with weight distribution? Is haveing the extra cells on the "girlfriend side", the way to go?

Have you tried out your homemade tires and Topcad wheels yet? "See" you at the other side:D .

bw762
01-03-2005, 09:25 AM
I haven't seen any problems with wght distribution with two cells on the middle/right side. It adds whgt to the front though, so this might change the way it handles jumps. Since I ran it only on road this didn't matter to me I was more concerned with it being top heavy so I lowered it. Handling hasn't changed so far.

I have only tried out the homemade belted tires on the car in the air. They don't balloon :D

I tried the Topcad ones last night and had the fit problems I mentioned on the other board. I also noticed that the tires and foams were out of balance and it caused the truck to vibrate too much. I could feel hard and soft spots in the foam. I should have checked this before glueing them on. So i ended up having to balance them and now it spins smooth.

Big-Kid
01-04-2005, 06:54 AM
I forgot you had the 1/2" ride hight going on. How did you get her so low? I'm going to need to ream out my Losi Streets due to the same problem:( .

bw762
01-04-2005, 02:31 PM
It was easy to get 1/4" ride hght -- I just removed the shock spacers. This means that the springs won't have much preload, but with the 70 whgt oil, the truck doesn't rebound too fast to make the springs jiggle loose.