PDA

View Full Version : 18t radio

MoralThreat
12-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Had to drive like 60 miles to get one, but I finally got my 18t today. The thing is smaller then I expected, but I love it. Been driving it indoors due to rain all day. Have an idea of the things I want to buy, but one I am not sure on and that's only because I have been out of the R/C thing for so long, but what is a good radio to buy? Or is the stock one ok? I'm not looking for bells and whistles, just something reliable. I mainly plan on just using this thing to have fun with, not sure if they race them in my neck of the woods.

rcdriver
12-27-2004, 10:23 PM
In a few days im getting an Airtronics MX-3 Synthesized Tx (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34063&item=5945782003&rd=1) . I dont know about the stock 18T radio but the MX3s is a great radio. It has great features. Its between the new kids radio and the high tech Racer radios. It had a 5 model memory so you can use multiple cars with it. It costs $80 TX only but if you dont want to pay that much, you can get the normal MX 3 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44028&item=5945594898&rd=1) for about $50. The main reason im gettin the Sythesized one is Im tired of using crystals. :)

MoralThreat
12-27-2004, 10:55 PM
Boy I have been out of things for a while, I had no idea that you could synthesize frequencies. But for what I wanted to spend, that is way more then I expected in features. Just to clarify, to get it to work with my reciever I just tell it what frequency my rx is and then it sets itself to that?

BLiND
12-27-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by MoralThreat
Boy I have been out of things for a while, I had no idea that you could synthesize frequencies. But for what I wanted to spend, that is way more then I expected in features. Just to clarify, to get it to work with my reciever I just tell it what frequency my rx is and then it sets itself to that?

not unless your receiver is also an airtronics FM.

the stock receiver is probably a 27mhz AM radio, and I actually think that the stock running gear on the RC18T is good enough for almost anyone.

kaymin
12-27-2004, 11:48 PM
if your talking about reliability and nothing else the stock radio is perfect!

350Z
01-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Can't go wrong with a xr2i or an xr3 by jr racing:)

Big-Kid
01-02-2005, 05:06 AM
I don't mind my stock radio either, nothing went wrong yet. I like my 2PL in my M18. Nothing fancy, just a good, reliable AM at a great price. I am thinking of putting it into the Rc18.

Are the synthesized radios that well priced, $80 for the radio itself. But then how much will the compatiable tx run you? Does anyone else make good synthesized radios? Futaba?

alfred
01-02-2005, 11:27 AM
i've been using the MX-3 FM, very awesome in reliablility, its up for sale. I switched to the MX-3s synthesized version, exact same model only synthesized. If you get a syn-version you wont have to buy the RX at all, weather you go fm or am. Just whatever your rx is you can program your tx to the same channel.

phildogg
01-02-2005, 12:11 PM
do these radios work with the mamba systems?
phil

alfred
01-02-2005, 12:13 PM
yes

MoralThreat
01-15-2005, 02:42 PM
Had another question regarding the radio so I thought I would keep it in the same thread. I noticed what appears to be a charging jack on the left side of the base of the stock radio. I hate buying new batteries all the time and the one wall charger I do have will only charge four batteries at a time. Does Associated (or whoever makes the radio) offer a charger for the radio?

alfred
01-15-2005, 04:28 PM
I've seen them at my lhs. Dynamite makes a radio set up that includes the 8 AA's batts for the radio and a wall charger, you can get the setup in Nicad or NIMH. I think they go for like 30.00, still worth it in the long run if you think about it.

Big-Kid
01-15-2005, 05:13 PM
Alfred's suggestion is very wise:D . I've been thinking of doing just that. For the time being, i've been useing re-chargeable Energizer's. The downside like Moral Threat was saying, it only does 4 at a time, but they only take about 30 min.'s. The plus being that I use the re-chargeable AA's for lots of other stuff, so i've been stocking up on them. Very handy.:cool:

alfred
01-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Now if you have a tx that has a removeable battery tray then all you have to do is remove the battery tray from your tx and hook it up to your charger, just make sure your charger can charge all eight cells. This makes it so much easier then taking the cells out, and i think also that all tx's come with a charging jack on the radio itself never used it before but thats the reason why its there. Check your owners manual because most of them will only charge nicads only.