PDA

View Full Version : No steering on rockbuster

280Z
08-22-2004, 12:36 PM
I've just completed the build of my tlt-1 and i have a problem. I have no turning radius at all. My front uprights are hard as hell to move. Does anyone know what my problem is. Please post or email me at mets6892aol.com I really want to get rhis fixed by thursday so i can race.;) thanks

TLT_TJ_05
08-22-2004, 01:39 PM
post a pic of your TLT, then maybe we can help you out by making sure everything is looking right. And can your TLT articulate? or does it bind? will both front shocks fully compress? have you locked your diffs? do you have 4WS? all these factors could affect your steering.

280Z
08-22-2004, 07:36 PM
ok

280Z
08-22-2004, 07:50 PM
ok

Fringo
08-22-2004, 07:55 PM
Ahhh... nice bluriness.... I can really pick up the details.

Try using the macro feature... or just back up a bit.

As for it being hard to turn, make sure that you have a servo that empasises on torque and make sure nothing's binding up.

Better yet, post your setup... especially the servo.

280Z
08-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Well when i put it together i heard it slipped alot so i went easy on the grease.Both shocks in front will fully compress. My diffs are bot locked,i don't have 4 wheel steer, If you need more in detail pics just tell me what.
P.S. sorry about the pic size

280Z
08-22-2004, 08:16 PM
set up everything stock but. v3rspeed control,jrracing r125 receiver.xr2i radio,speed gems arconite 17 turn motor,some traxxas 2018 servo from a friend

pomme de terre
08-22-2004, 11:38 PM
i dont get what you mean by your front uprights not moving... but if it means your wheels wont turn

you put together the servo horn/saver properly?
and can you turn the wheels by hand?

did u measure each of the links to make sure its the exact length they mention in the manual?

HO502cid
08-23-2004, 01:15 AM
Locked axle diffs with 2 wheel steering equals terrible turning radius...

Other then that, rebuild the front assemblies and make sure all your linkages are the proper length. If you assembled it correctly I don't see how you could experience binding.

Fringo
08-23-2004, 05:28 AM
Ok... yeah. The locked diffs would explain the inability to turn, but you are still sure that the uprights themselves are not turning... correct? Are you sure?

You do realize why locked diffs, while good for crawling setups, would compromise the turning radius don't you? Just think of what a diff is designed to do in the first place.

280Z
08-23-2004, 09:14 AM
They aren't locked they just don't have any grease in them would greaseing them up help

Fringo
08-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by 280Z
My diffs are bot locked

LOL... anyways, if you don't have ANY grease in them, it'll accelerate wear.

Again, try to be more specific in terms of what the truck is doing/not doing... and try to post better pictures.

IMHO however, I blame it on the servo you're using. That servo is rated at 42 oz-in @4.8v... that's roughly the same as the HS-85mg... a popular choice among micro owners... just for reference. Try going for a stronger servo.

sawhit4
08-23-2004, 05:04 PM
i doubt the servo is the problem with the stock wheels. Like my stock traxxas servo that is weak as hell turned them fine. By front uprights do you mean the steering knuckles? that could be the screws are too tight holding them on. Im not sure what you were thinking by not putting grease in the diff. The ammount of grease isnt gonna make much of a difference in how much it unloads. If you want it locked then jb weld it dont just take the grease out. If your servo is the problem you could get a new one and losen up the screws holding it on. Also get some better pics so we can help you more.

TLT_TJ_05
08-23-2004, 11:07 PM
nice pics man lol was your camera drunk? but i hope we can help you with this, probably something simple that you will figure out in a day. give it time

280Z
08-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Good news guys i've fixed my truck. The problem all along was that some (bearings) were on the wrong side of the e clip and made the dog bones stick out to far. and dumb me forced them in and put so much tension on the that i did'nt have any turing radius.:) I want to say thanks to everyone that tried to help.
And i have a 540 micro for sale if anyone cares. thanks

Fringo
08-25-2004, 03:44 AM
Glad to hear that the problem was resolved... Though surprising that you can mess up with Tamiya instructions! :D
Just messin' with you.

About the 540 for sale, I think you'll have better luck if you posted that in the "micro market" section here:

http://yourmicro.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=5