PDA

View Full Version : widen the tlt-1!!!!!!!!

RealJDMman
06-22-2004, 06:46 PM
hey wookie and i have been disscussing ways to widen the tlt-1 in his phase 2 thread and i want to open it up to every one. post all of your ideas thoughts and hopefully working mods to widen the tlt-1 here

-frank

jocktheglide
06-22-2004, 07:41 PM
yeah, but if you plan on making the TLT any bigge arent you realy just trying to get a bigger monste truck thats why we have the TXT.

Wookie
06-22-2004, 08:19 PM
jocktheglide,

You are correct in that going wider or longer defeats the purpose of a small truck.

The TXT-1, Clod and other climbers tend to be more 1/8th scale which is bigger than I wanted. With the mods I've done it's the length of a true 1/10th scale truck and making it a little wider would achieve that as well.

Sometimes smaller rockcrawlers have an advantage over big trucks, which makes them fun in their own right. Other times what a bigger truck does easy, my TLT struggles.

Basically what I want is the most capable true 1/10th scale size crawler I can make. The TLT is the perfect platform for this to happen. It will still be small enough to play with in my house in the winter, but be very capable in the rocks and other areas outside the house.

So technically we are trying to create a midsized truck from a TLT platform.

RealJDMman
06-23-2004, 03:01 PM
yes i know that i want it to be bigger. the reason i did not buy a txt-1 is that i connot afford a big truck. trucks like that are way over priced if you ask me. i really wanted a clod or txt but it would have taken me 6 years to save that up. i jumped at the chance of getting a smaller solid axle truck that i could po0ssibly modify into a crawler. jocktheglide, keep your crappy opinions out of this thread

jocktheglide
06-23-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by RealJDMman
yes i know that i want it to be bigger. the reason i did not buy a txt-1 is that i connot afford a big truck. trucks like that are way over priced if you ask me. i really wanted a clod or txt but it would have taken me 6 years to save that up. i jumped at the chance of getting a smaller solid axle truck that i could po0ssibly modify into a crawler. jocktheglide, keep your crappy opinions out of this thread

uhhh...dude chill It wasnt it a opinion it was a questions if you reread it my man. Its like asking what ice cream do you like I was just asking why did you get all offended IM here to learn more about RC not offend people like you did.

If this was suppose to be a wookie and RealJDMman thread you guys need to be emailing each other. The way Wookie responded was very polite. Thx wookie.

RealJDMman
06-23-2004, 05:15 PM
sry dude i really wanted a big truck and got a little pissed.:rolleyes: it is like ice cream only some flavers are more expensive i retract wat i said about ur opinion
bak to the main point of this thread

me and wookie have discussed this already so everyone can join in and give their ideas

i dont really see a way around the width it is currently, machining new drive things and long hexes looks like the most straight foreward idea but i dont have a cnc ( i wish i did) wider tires would help but not as much as widening the actual axle (say that 5 times fast!) large ofset wheels would help but the ones with the most off set are the front ones from a stadium truck. to make the tlt-1 more proprtionite at 10"wheel bases the off set woul have to extend to the edge of the rim or farther. ive never seen wheels like that. if any one has a cnc they could machine wheels like that. if any one knows of a vehicle the uses dog bones and has and extremely long hex that is compatible with 2.2s please enlighten me to their existance.

jocktheglide
06-24-2004, 03:51 AM
I was wondering though is there a way to put the 40 series maxx tires on this puppy he he he look kinda funny, but man it could rock craw over anything when you think about with longer suspension links though.

RealJDMman
06-24-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by jocktheglide
I was wondering though is there a way to put the 40 series maxx tires on this puppy he he he look kinda funny, but man it could rock craw over anything when you think about with longer suspension links though.

there is not enough offset on these wheels to fit on the axles i think rpm stablemaxx wheels could possibly have enough off set.

i think widening the axle itself would look better. 2.2s are big enough for this little truck!!

c'mon guys, post!!!!

Wookie
06-24-2004, 07:03 PM
40 series wheels and tires are a bit big for the TLT. I think regular T-Maxx tires would be a bit big, but may be a good fit. I'd have to see it to really tell. I do know my 4.75" tall tires look too small now.

With T-Maxx wheels you need a bunch more offset than they have. Even with the RPM Stable Maxx wheels there isn't enough offset. The stock offset on the TLT is approximately .5", the Stable Maxx rims are around 1", which doesn't give enough clearance between the tire and the chassis. You would loose almost all of your steering just to keep the wheels from rubbing on the chassis, shocks, etc.

There might be options out there, I'm looking into one or two right now. It would be very easy to make adapters to lengthen the axle out an 1" or so, but you would need a CNC machine or some other nice tools to do it, something I don't have.

I would really love to have a extention kit to take the axles out 1.25" and drop a set of RPM Stable Maxx rims on there with some IMEX Swamp Dawg T-Maxx tires on mine. :D

If I can't get an extention kit, my next option is CEN MT2 tires on HPI Rims. That should give me a tire that's a little over 5.3" (136mm) tall and 2.7" (68mm) wide. That's the biggest 2.2" tire I've found so far.

RealJDMman
06-24-2004, 07:13 PM
if u find axle adapters please tell us all where they are;)

that would be a good new product for companies like monstertech and penguin *hint *hint

just a question wookie, wich have more offset the traxxas front wheels or hpi ones???:confused:

Wookie
06-24-2004, 09:16 PM
Well, if nobody makes an adapter, I've already got one mapped out on my computer (all I need is for somebody to make it ;) ). I'm pretty sure it will work well (at lease for crawling) and be very easy to make.

As for rims, the biggest offset wheel I've found are HPI rear RS4MT rims. These rims are the ones specifically for the RS4MT, not the ones for the RC10, Traxxas, etc. They make two different sets of rear wheels that look very similar.

These rims have about a 1/4" more offset than the stock TLT rims. With these on you can widen your base by a total of around 1/2".

RealJDMman
06-25-2004, 03:21 PM
is your adapter for t maxx wheels?
and, is it substantialy long than the stock hex/drive cup assembely??

tell me if any one decides to make these because i will buy some!!!

Wookie
06-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Yea, the ones I've thought up would be to work with T-Maxx wheels and would extend the axle out 1" to 1.25" depending on how long they were made to be.

No takers so far :rolleyes:

RealJDMman
06-26-2004, 02:19 PM
you should design some for 2.2s

those cen tires are almost maxx sized!!!!

Stalker
06-28-2004, 10:53 AM
Wookie:

What program do you have that mapped out in? Email it to me please... ;)

stalker911@rogers.com

No promises about it though...

Wookie
06-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Stalker,

You have mail :D Let me know what you think

sawhit4
06-29-2004, 04:56 PM
i believe that inet rc makes a wheel widener that works for the stampede and should work for the tlt to. Anyway ive got a question. I put stampede wheels on my tlt and it looks like they wont fit all the way on the hex. So when i got to put the wheel nut on it doesnt screw down into the plastic part like it should and sometimes it will come off while im driving. It looks kinda cool and realistic when i hit a big jump and two wheels fly off but im running out of wheel nuts and its getting kinda annoying. Can someone help?

sawhit4
06-29-2004, 04:57 PM
i believe that inet rc makes a wheel widener that works for the stampede and should work for the tlt to. Anyway ive got a question. I put stampede wheels on my tlt and it looks like they wont fit all the way on the hex. So when i got to put the wheel nut on it doesnt screw down into the plastic part like it should and sometimes it will come off while im driving. It looks kinda cool and realistic when i hit a big jump and two wheels fly off but im running out of wheel nuts and its getting kinda annoying. Can someone help? Oh yeah and if anyone cares i will hopefully be trying clod tires on my tlt soon (it will be stretched to fit them)

RealJDMman
06-29-2004, 08:07 PM
i just looked on inet's site. they make wheel wideners for the clod and txt-1 style wheels not pede.

man id like to see wookies crweation come to life!!!

please machine it for us:D