PDA

View Full Version : How the hell...?

MicroDude
05-20-2002, 08:57 PM
How the hell do you people break the little plastic tabs off the sides of the stock diff case with the front one-way? it doesn't look like they are in anything's way unless you slammed a barrier REALLY hard...

GreenMachine
05-20-2002, 09:13 PM
simply put: when you use a high torque motor combined with high traction tires in the front, the torque is so great that the pulley wants to turn but the tires stick too much and the tabs sheer off from the stress. it has nothing to do with hitting walls, and its a very common problem to all drivers with performance motors and high voltage bateries.

Woody
05-20-2002, 11:31 PM
Do you not have one yet? Or don't you have a speed 300 in it? If you do, then I will assure you that you will break at least one. For all of you out there who didn't catch my tip from before, boil the diff housing in water before you assemble it. It's an old-timers trick, but well worth it if you don't have to replace one.

TGRupert
05-20-2002, 11:49 PM
if a (real) car has enough power it can warp the steel chassis. a micro with a speed 300/BB/chubby going 30 MPH. for a car that small to go that fast it's short little wheels must turn around FAST. the moment anyone thinks of these as "just little cars" is the moment they deserve to get hit by one at 30 MPH.

xxtcrgp
05-21-2002, 12:50 AM
good point TGRupert

MicroDude
05-21-2002, 07:25 AM
Yeah, but see, i'm running my micro in stock class and my TO one-way is on back order... Elite Stock motor, alloy universals, ball diff, soft fronts AND rears (would the stock fronts help keep the tabs alive?), and a soon to be front one-way and the ipd 150mm carbon fiber chassis... ugh, now i got a brainfade between carbon fiber and graphite :D

Turbo Cloud
05-24-2002, 08:37 AM
to solve the problem just use a medium slick tire instead of the high grip then you won't have a problem as bad

TGRupert
05-24-2002, 10:32 AM
but then you lose grip. the one way diff is best for high grip tires on a high grip track when you are using power through turns. that I what I read at least.

Woody
05-25-2002, 10:31 AM
The one way is best suited for swoopy fast tracks. If you are having to stop completely before you turn your car, better try the front ball diff.;)

MicroDude
05-26-2002, 05:25 PM
K, cause i just bought the hpi front oneway, and im on the throttle all the time, let it be a small amount or all the way down...