PDA

View Full Version : How'd the Indy boyz do at State Race?

nickcacc
04-25-2004, 05:20 PM
I couldnt go, so give me some results please !!!

DrDiff
04-27-2004, 10:06 AM
I qualified dead last in the stock class. 6th in the B main. I idd mover up to fourth. We had 2 others in the A Main I don't remember where they finished.

Ed didn't even get to run the A main 650 miliamp cells and a speed 300 would not give 8 minutes let alone 10 minutes for the A Mod Main. I think he was 4th or 5th in the field of 7.

I was just there for fun. I hope to have a better racing budget next year. The track was a foam tire only track and I was running rubber.

They ran AlyCat sofware and had problems with it when it came time to sort the mains. Ed fealt the race director's pain!

The track had a flyover bridge. The locals seemed to love it. Others fealt it was not good for a state "Championship" race. I thought it was fun. I like the idea of elevation changes: Banked or off camber turns through an elevated section, as it adds another dimension to on road racing. However personally, I fealt that the elevation change should be far more gradual. This bridge was almost borderline off road single jump. Modifieds were lifting their front tires at the apex just like the old IMSA GTP cars at Lime Rock, or F1 cars on the Original Nurberg Ring.

nickcacc
04-27-2004, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the update Doc. I read in another of your posts that the track is smaller than Indy Slots. Were the lanes as wide? Did the shop have as much M18 stuff as I'd heard?

DrDiff
04-30-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by nickcacc
Thanks for the update Doc. I read in another of your posts that the track is smaller than Indy Slots. Were the lanes as wide? Did the shop have as much M18 stuff as I'd heard?

The lanes were as wide as some of the narrower Indy Slots lanes. There was a small lip on the outside of the main straight that would catch you if you went a little wide.

Duneland Hobbies is my "Official" M18 Parts source. I would prefer to purchase local, but, The shops around Indianapolis just don't have the new stuff in stock! And when my inlaws or parents can pick up my order and ship it to me for free!!!!!

Duneland has all the original parts as well as the following optional parts:
the Blue speed 300 set [blue woven graphite chassis, blue woven graphite battery strap, blue woven graphite rear body mount brace, and blue aluminum motor mount] , blue woven graphite chassis, silver woven graphite chassis, blue aluminum motor mounts. Xray labled stock and Speed 300 motors, Blue aluminum heatsinks for both stock and mod motors, small pinions, 6 degree front arms, 2.5 degree rear links, adjustable links, ball diffs, one ways. He had plenty of Xray Servos [replacements for the one in the power pack]

Duneland is where I got my ProtoForm Mazda 6 body. He got it and the Alfa Romeo body in on Thursday before the big race. I even saw a front anti roll bar on the shop owners car. I couldn't tell you if it was a Xray part or home brew part.

He did not have the stock ESC [forward brake and reverse with 180 stock motor limit] or the 300 ESC [forward and brake only... stock, 45 turn mod and speed 300]. The only other thing I did not see was the black woven graphite chassis.

nickcacc
04-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Geez, It'd be like Christmas for an M18 owner!!

DrDiff
04-30-2004, 09:01 PM
Well my shopping list included the Mazda6 body, 6 degree front arms, 2.5 degree rear links, and a X-ray t-shirt!

For those MRS4 die hards HTUSA north has a good selection.

oXYnary
04-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Ed didn't even get to run the A main 650 miliamp cells and a speed 300 would not give 8 minutes let alone 10 minutes for the A Mod Main. I think he was 4th or 5th in the field of 7.

Hmm, thanks for that info. I have been seeing a few companies pushing those 2/3aa chassis types over and over. Seems those are only useful in 180. Your post proves this.

DrDiff
04-30-2004, 10:14 PM
They might be an edge in stock. Less weight to push around means maximizing the limited horse power of a stock motor.

They might be useful in 45 turn mod. But for open mod....

I don't think so!

microed
05-02-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by DrDiff

Just for the record, I beleive I qualified third but I wouldn't swear to it. I was also using 1200 mah cells not 650's. I wouldn't even be able to run a 6 minute heat race with 650's (I was using about 875mah per 6 min. heat). I just needed to make big power to hang with those in front of me which were using li-poly cells. Big power equals big amp draw which at best alowed me to get about 8 minutes of run time which would have left me 2 minutes short for the main. That makes for a good case to keep our races (at least unlimited) at 5 minutes so things don't escalate into an expensive battery war. I don't want everyone to have to buy li-poly cells to be competitive at Indy Slots.
When I go up to Duneland again, I'll make sure I go with some li-poly batteries. Live and learn.

MARK B.
05-04-2004, 12:14 AM
Ed--- don't forget to get the Rally conversion as well as the li-po's for the next trip up north.:D

Later,

Mark

CarpetMuncher
05-04-2004, 12:28 AM
Hey Ed,

I knew that LiPo thing was going to be a whole different ball game. I like Indy Slots the way it is, too. I saw a LiPo go "up in smoke" during charging a month or so back--those things are volatile! ;) And five minutes is plenty enough time to delcare a victor (and enough to blow it occasionally too, as I have proven)...

So, Ron had race software issues? Hmmm, maybe we are on the right track now...?

EDIT: Damn, no wonder I'm broke... I have nearly all the parts Dean mentioned--not installed yet...

Hope to make it Friday.

DrDiff
05-04-2004, 05:38 AM
CarpetMuncher:

Yes Ron had problems with the alycat software. Alycat ran the race smooth untill it was time to sort the mains. Then the head aches began. I asked Ed to go over and see if he could offer help. They got it figured out... Eventually!

Ron had a LiPoly issue on race day also. He used LiPoly cells in his 1/24 scale car and he had one swell up. It didn't vent, but he got it out of the building quite quickly!

Did you ever get the boat in the water before your dad got there?

CarpetMuncher
05-04-2004, 09:01 PM
Yep, wet on the bottom like a happy boat should be ;)

DrDiff
05-05-2004, 09:19 AM
Hmm was just thinking about the similarities of Boats and RC Cars.

Both are holes in water/air surrounded by fiberglass/lexan in to which we throw large sums of money!

:D

CarpetMuncher
05-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Yeah, but only one can serve as a floating beer dispenser, and that's important to me!