PDA

View Full Version : A mystery finally solved.

night_racer
03-23-2004, 01:29 AM
For a week now I have had trouble with my transmision. I broke it down, everything looked fine, are the gears were in fine shape. There was grease, but not too much. Then just a few days ago, I discoverd a new problem. The slipper kipt slipping out. I tighten it back down, and it would be fine for a short while, then from no where I'd lose traction again. I'd check the slipper, but it felt fine, so I break down the transmision, all the gears were fine.
But yesterday a new problem showed it's horrible, evil face. The slipper losened again, but when I tryed to tighten it, it just wontn't tighten, and the shaft where the slipper gaer attached to had a nasty wobble that I couldn't get out. I checked the sliper gear, it looke fine, but changed it with a new one anyway... Same thing, so I broke down the tranny one more time, looked over each gear, all were fine.. then I made my discovery; by mistake really, but there it was... It was where the bb for the slipper/gear/shaft. It had got a bit banged up, but the bb still fit pretty right, in fact very tight. It wasn't the outside diameter that was dammaged, it was acually into the hole where the two bb fit into, and the shaft went threw. Some of it got chewed up, or dug out I should say.. right where the shaft slid threw the bb, threw the tranny casing and threw the other bb. In there was just a littel play ,about 1/8 inch.. that kept the slipper of being able to tighten down, and kept it so lose that rear tires had no traction at all.. the motor would just rev up, but the buggy wouldn't move.
It ws this simple thing that had me baffeled for the last two weeks. One hell of a hobby isn't it?