PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheels turning very rough

i8hotdogs
03-13-2004, 08:30 AM
Hello All - My rear drive assembly started to run vary rough. At low speeds, I lift all 4 wheels off the ground, the rear wheels run very rough. The front wheels run very smooth. I have full bearing upgrades on it and I took the rear difs apart to make sure everything is ok and it was. The only thing I can think of is that it is the dirve cups is worn a bit on the rear. Will this make it do this? When the rear wheels are spinning, the rear shocks will jump up every 1 second like it is running over a speed bump. Only the rears do this. This only occurs on low speeds, at full rev it is smooth. I checked all the bearings and the dif gears. Any ideas?

Thanks

ltz400
03-13-2004, 02:49 PM
You might have slop in your rear gears.You could try shimming the small gear on the shaft that mates the ring gear.

pkh
03-14-2004, 03:04 PM
Well, there are two assembly screw ups I can think of that could hose up you're drive train (I almost made these mistakes myself)...

1) Assembling the "rear uprights" (steering knuckles) on the wrong side of the diff. See step 18, on page 12. There is a C1 and a C2 upright, they aren't identical. You need to be sure the left rear is part C2, and the right rear is C1. I believe at least one other guy in this forum made this mistake, and the wheel axles were rubbing the uprights/knuckles pretty badly!

2) Make sure you have one washer on each side of the gear diffs. See step 10 on page 8. I had an extra washer (part BC4) in my kit, and I inadvertantly put two on one side of the diff. This made the diff pretty tight after it was assembled. Luckily I noticed one diff was much tighter than the other, and I broke it down and found my mistake! If you leave a washer out, you'll get a loose gear mesh, and it may slip a tooth every so often.

Assuming you lubed the diffs well when you assembled, I can't think of anything else in particular to check. Going over steps 10-12 and 17-19 would be the next step in debugging what went wrong...

Hope that helps! :)

i8hotdogs
03-15-2004, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the information. I will check everything described.

Thanks