PDA

View Full Version : finally assembled tlt - some mods id like to share

PhillyB
03-11-2004, 12:56 AM
ok this first pic is of the truck - its rather large 56K beware! youve been warned

i have added a second servo with a splitter (which stinks) but i have a ems reverser on the way (thanks to PKH i believe) so i can flip the saver around

got
monster pro stock (all i had)
GM V4R
hitec rx 3CH

i noticed that after crawling around for a while a strange smell, it was my motor. real hot but forgot to temp gun it. since im a PC cooling nut i have thousands of fans (i have one fan thats about the size of a quarter) i found one that fits just about perfect.

i used a longer screw and a spacer to clear the other screws on the chassis. i think the pic will explain all. the fan is actually spinning but my flash stops it lol.

PhillyB
03-11-2004, 12:58 AM
the fan

PhillyB
03-11-2004, 12:59 AM
fan in motion (no flash, manual settings woot)

PhillyB
03-11-2004, 01:02 AM
i know someone will say, but doesnt that add weight and reduce runtime, either here or at my LHS. but i dont care about weight (its not even enough to worry about) and i doubt id even notice a difference in runtime.

i have the most fun at very slow speeds crawling over whatever, and theres almost no airflow to the motor.

i just did the mod, and havent run it yet since i need some sleep. but im sure it will work i can feel the air on the other side.

ltz400
03-11-2004, 07:48 AM
Nice job on the fan.Those fans are virtually weightless so theres not a problem with weight.I sure they dont use much battery juice either.You could put a smaller pinion gear on you motor to put less stress on your motor also.

Chris Hale
03-12-2004, 12:06 PM
The fan is a good idea but you are not fixing the REAL problem...when you run into real heat from a motor it is from being improperly geared, you are just prolonging the inevitable destruction of the motor by putting a fan on it, yes it doesn't get hot now but you are still working the motor too hard by over-gearing it. Try dropping 2-3 teeth in pinion size and take the fan off i bet you'll fix the problem without the fan AND it will give you a better gear ratio for doing wht monster trucks do...climb and crawl