PDA

View Full Version : Hacker Brushless M-18

Rotary Rocket
03-10-2004, 12:15 AM
Per Josh's recommendation from Hacker USA I bought the B20-22S and Master Mini Car controller.

The motor is the size of a stock 180 motor. Hacker USA gives you a template which I used to drill new holes in my alum motor plate. I also needed to enlarge the middle hole for the motor to fit. I used a Hudy body remmer to do this task.

Rotary Rocket
03-10-2004, 12:18 AM
The controller was larger than I expected. You will need at least 55 mm space in lenght and 23 mm for its width.

I was able to fit it next to my motor. I also used an extra heat sink from a Quantum ESC on it.

Rotary Rocket
03-10-2004, 12:22 AM
I shortened the wires and changed the "on/off" switch to a samller one from a LRP V7.1 ESC (just to keep the installation look neat and clean).

Rotary Rocket
03-10-2004, 12:28 AM
I use Thunder Power (TP) 2S 1320mAh LiPo batts.

I like how small and light these batteries are.

I kept the gearing the same as what I had with my Speed 300 motor (17 pinion and stock spur). The B20 22S has a lot more torque (bottom end) than the speed 300, but the top speed seems to be the same.

I think I will go up one tooth at time while keeping an eye on motor temps.

I don't have a GPS, but the top speed "felt" about 25 mph.

Rotary Rocket
03-10-2004, 12:31 AM
I might actually try a 3S LiPo (11.1V) before going up in pinion teeth.

I built my own custom chassis so there is plenty of room to go with 1900, and even 2200 mAh batts.

Rotary Rocket
03-10-2004, 12:34 AM
Finally, everything fits nicely under the "low" HPI Viper body.

I will post more results as I get a chance to run this car in the next few days.

e_lm_70
03-10-2004, 05:09 AM
Hi,

Nice M18 BL ... would be cool to compare with mine ... but I guess we are in a different continent !

How is the handling of the Hacker ESC ? From the shape it look like a regular BL-ESC for airplain, line mine from Jeti (that BTW is providing to hacker the ESC, since Hacker label the ESC!)

The B20 look quite smaller then my MiniAC 1251/12 (Model Motor cz), Mine is as big as a regular 300 motor, with the same motor connection, so no problem to use it with a metal motor holder for M18 (got from a nice guy in Germany) ...

Does you hacker come with a 2mm shaft or with a 2.3mm ... in my case I have the 2.3mm in I need to use different pinion then the one comming with the M18 kit ...

I'm currently waiting for a new spor gear the 42T from US ... since the 20/36 gear is quite hard, and my ESC isn't very soft in power output ...

Going to go also for a 3S Lipo (1100mAh x 20Amp discharge -> over 200W power !!!) ... but my 2P2S 2400mAh is still a good option !

e_lm_70

Rotary Rocket
03-10-2004, 09:38 AM
The Hacker Mini Car controller is the same as the Jeti Airplane one (to start with). Hacker Germany actually worked with Hacker USA as to the programing of the Mini Car controller before they made it available for sale.

I don't understand what you mean by "handling"? The controller is very smooth in mid range and high end, but is abit "jerky" on the bottom end. The brakes are very strong. I have my controller at -50% for brake to soften the brakes.

After hard braking and getting back on the throtle the controller is very smooth, and you don't feel any "stransition" from brake to forward.

This controller has Forward/Brake/Reverse, or Forward/Brake option.

The motor has a 2.3 mm shaft. I had to dremel a "flat" spot of the output shaft and had to press my Xray pinion onto it.

Who makes 2.3mm bore pinions?

TP is obout to come out with their next gen LiPos that are 10C rated, so you can just go with a 2S for racing or a 3S for CRAZY top speed runs and keep the weight down.

The TPs will be available in 850 and 2000 mAhs in just a couple of weeks.

e_lm_70
03-10-2004, 10:15 AM
As far as I know there is a nice japanese shop that sell Hacker D20 with 2.0mm shaft ...

I got one metal pinion with 12T with 2.3mm hole ... I have may plastic & metal with 2mm hole, some of the plastic I have adapted ... but is a painfull job ...

I have also some pinion (15,20,25T) with 4mm hole ... and a bunch of adapter (a smal plastic/rubber ring) ... these are working fine with my BL motor ... at the moment this (the 20T) is what I use ... it is in metal with 2 fixing screw ... quite cool ! Probably I will go to a 12/42 or 15/42 when I will get the 42T spor ... since with a lower ratio the car should be more smoth to controll !

It should be not so difficult to find these pinion in some advanced hobby shop, I got locally from the US equivalent of Radio Shack

My ESC is a pure Jeti for airplane ... and I just have forward & brake ... were brake could be disabled ... with brake on, I just strict controll the RPM of the motor throw the TX ... a different concept then brake in a car ... for example if from full power I go back to neutral ... the the brake will try to stop the motor in the shortest possible time ... since the ESC & motor are far mor stong then the tires grip ... I just spin immediatly all the 4 weels of my M18 ... so for a smoth brake I should "slowly" release the throttle in the TX .... not so natural ... but it could lead to some advanced possibilty, like enter in a turn with a fixed speed ...

Going to have soon a big schulze esc, for my 1/10 BL car ... rate 18cell x 61Amp ... and little bigger then my jeti ... there is potential space to fit in the car ... BTW there is also a small version of it for schulze ... schulze is spupposed to be the best ESC for BL , it could be selected to be 100% correct for Car,Boat,Plane,Heli ! And it is in the same price, even cheaper the Hacker ESC.

About LiPo ... I have already got for few $$ some cool 10C continiuos & 20C burst discharge capable cells ... they are 1100mAm in a round cell format : 18x65mm ... two can fit easily in the M18 ... and 3 in a piramide way (2+1 up) ... I just need to solder them ... since so far are just free unused independed cells .... they are the Konion Kontronik ... not so popolar for what I can see in iNet ... but they are potentilly over the edge for LiPo now !

I will be very curios to compare my cheapo MiniAC 1215/12 (there is also the etreme version, rated 6700rpm/volt !) with a supposed state of art Hacker ... while my MiniAC has lot of data available (tested in airplane with output power over 100w and efficiency (ESC+motor) over 70% , the Hacker model don't provide a lot of data ....

I will also make a comparison later with GPS about BL & the 300, and 280BB motor ... curious to see how much gap there is between these two technology ...

e_lm_70

P.S: in case you make a video of your car ... just post it !

extreme
03-10-2004, 01:25 PM
the lehner 1015/12 is rated at around 6700 as well, i have one in my m18, i cant run rubber tires because they just fall apart!!! have you had that same problem?? lol

e_lm_70
03-11-2004, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by extreme
the lehner 1015/12 is rated at around 6700 as well, i have one in my m18, i cant run rubber tires because they just fall apart!!! have you had that same problem?? lol

My MiniAC 1215/12 is rated 4600 ... but with a 20/36T gear it produce a hell of speed ... this BL motor is very torque ... and with LiPo 2400mAp (20+ Amp capable) there is all the torque needed !

I think I have a very hard glue ... and so far I till don't have foam tires !

After few little run, I have to say that one corner has started to unglue ... but I will provide more glue ... it should not be a problem ... also I think rubber is better the foam for drive in a regular car street ...

Have you also notice that the stock rubber tires get far more grip as soon as they got some little temperature up ... just seen on the track ... the first 1-2 round I dind't have a lot of grip ... but then the car was getting more & more grip with the usage ... and this happen everytime I start from "cold" situation

e_lm_70

ayougo
03-18-2004, 04:15 PM
At my local hobby shop we have a rubberized glue that can withstan the torture that the rpms put on the tires. I have some pics i can take.

mxer518
03-19-2004, 07:38 AM
cool i would really like to see some pics thanks

ayougo...:eek:

G'ZOX
03-19-2004, 10:48 AM
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i love the avatar dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ayougo
03-20-2004, 10:42 AM
haha, i like it too. I stole it from another forum that im on alot lol. That was a good show. OOOOK !!! lol WHAAAAaaaTT