PDA

View Full Version : My new custom chassis!

ghinmi
02-11-2004, 09:51 PM
Since I broke the stock chassis a few days ago, I decided to just make my own. It's an aluminum pan chassis similar to the carbon fiber one on ebay, but the chassis extends all the way to the front of the car, which lets me get rid of that weak front chassis. I also got a new motor, a Kyosho lemans Ap-29 motor. It's around the size of a 400 motor, but has different motor mounting holes and is the same design as a 540 motor but smaller. I haven't gotten it up to top speed yet, but it has a ton of torque, enough to do wheelies pretty much whenever I pull the trigger with a 23 tooth pinion. I still need to add a few things, but here's what I have so far.

ghinmi
02-11-2004, 09:53 PM
another

ghinmi
02-11-2004, 09:54 PM
last one

night_racer
02-12-2004, 12:56 AM
How thick is the allunimum? Also where did you find a supply od sheets like that? I think it's cool, but I might try and add a littel extra to thew sidea, that I can bind upward.. a littel extra protection....

Can you send me demosions of your chasis? Im most interested in servo placment. How far from front.. and how much axtra did you add to front?

Oh yeah , how will the shock tower hook up? Or will you redesign the shock towers??

BLiND
02-12-2004, 02:02 AM
night_racer, please use the "edit" button on your post rather than posting 3 posts in a row like that...

jocktheglide
02-12-2004, 04:51 AM
hey bro thats very nice man. Is it possible you can make the chassis have walls like the stock chassis does instead of being flat? man, if you could do that I buy one off you. :D

ghinmi
02-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Thanks guys! I don't have bender, so I can't bend up the edges. The aluminum is around 2mm thick, I found about 10 nice sheets of it out in our barn, I'm not sure where they came from. The front shock tower hooks up exactly like stock. The rear shock tower hooks up to the gearbox using the long bolt like stock and uses the mount on the bottom of the tower to bolt directly to the chassis. It seems durable enough. The only dimensions for the chassis are the holes where the front suspension and rear gearbox mount, which are exactly the same as stock. For the steering, I used the stock piece where the bellcranks mount and dremeled as much off of it as I could. I then glued it onto the new chassis as far forward as I could without having clearance problems. The servo glued to the chassis also. I'm going to do an upper chassis and maybe a new front shock tower to clear it. I ran it the way it was in the pics, and it did just fine.

Thanks,
Greg