PDA

View Full Version : 6-SC & 7-SC Cell TLT-1 Battery Packs!

pkh
02-06-2004, 10:58 PM
I finally got my SC (Sub-C) cells in, and soldered up a couple 6-SC cell batt packs, and glued up a 7-SC cell pack (letting the Shoe Goo dry real good on that 7th cell before I take it out of the chassis, where it's being held in place).

Man, that Shoe Goo is awesome for packs (my first pack using it)! I just let it set up for about 2 mins before pushing the cells together, and it held them firmly from the start (although it was workable)... was able to handle them for soldering about 1/2hr later!

Haven't run them yet, but should give pretty good run time at 3000mAh. Just thought I'd post a few pics of my packs...

Here's a 6-SC pack just soldered up:

pkh
02-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Pic of the 6-SC pack in the battery tray...

pkh
02-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Side shot of the chassis with the 6-SC pack...

pkh
02-06-2004, 11:05 PM
I planned to dip the top & bottom of the packs in Dip-It (a liquid rubber coating) to insulate it, but I couldn't find any Dip-It locally... damned Home Depot used to carry it, but discontinued it... I looked at two Home Depots and a Pep Boys and couldn't find it. So for insulation I found this colored electrical tape... used yellow to match my body!

Here's a pic with the yellow insulating tape...

pkh
02-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Here's a shot of my 7-SC cell pack glued up and drying while set up in the battery tray. I put some cardboard in there to be sure I didn't get any shoe goo on my chassis! Letting it dry in there places the 7th cell right on the batt tray edge for support.

I made up two 6-SC packs and only one 7-SC pack... I had enough cells to make up two 7-SC packs, but 6 cells alone was pretty wild, so I just did one 7-SC pack for kicks! It might be my "Haul-A$$ outdoors" batt pack...

pkh
02-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Here's another shot of the 7-SC cell pack in the chassis...

pkh
02-06-2004, 11:15 PM
For those of you who want to really push the limit and go to an 8-SC pack, it's definitely doable. You can stack another horizontal cell on top of my 7th cell, or just put two vertical cells in place of my 7th cell, elevated a little to rest on the batt tray edge (above the pinon & spur gears).

You'll still clear the stock truck body, because the truck's cab will allow the extra, elevated cells to stick up higher than the rear six.

8-SC cells is way to crazy for me right now, though!!

MacMan
02-07-2004, 02:19 AM
Yeah, I can't imagine. I'm getting good run times and good power/speed with the stock battery.

pkh
02-07-2004, 11:29 AM
Got the 7-SC pack soldered up and insulated...

pkh
02-07-2004, 11:31 AM
End view of the 7th cell (top of pack is on the left). Best to position this in the chassis... fits like a glove! The batt tray edge supports it so the Shoe Goo doesn't have all the weight & stress when bashing about!

pkh
02-07-2004, 11:33 AM
Last shot of the 7-SC pack... in the chassis. I scrapped the stock zip-tie batt holders in favor of these Velcro straps. They are thinner (body can push dow farther) and much easier to use...

MacMan
02-07-2004, 12:54 PM
well done... though your straps are pink. ;)

pkh
02-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by MacMan
well done... though your straps are pink. ;)
Haha! In real life, they're red... but they do look pink in that picture! The flash glare off of the red nylon fuzzies makes it look that way!

pkh
02-07-2004, 03:25 PM
Haha!! This 7-SC cell batt pack is absolutely insane!! Max speed with 7-cells is way too fast for indoors (and I have just a 23T motor)! I couldn't even get it up to max speed inside my house! I was afraid I would hit the frame of the doorways I was running through (for my max speed runs) and obliterate the poor thing (and before replacement parts are out, yet)! Definitely an outdoor batt pack! Don't get me wrong, you can still run it at low speeds with plenty of control (at least with my TX and ESC combo), but you don't want to give it full throttle very long!

ian559
02-07-2004, 07:16 PM
Ya I love my 8.4 bat packs I have been useing too. I amd going to make up a few of the 6 cell packs though to. Thanks for the pictures

pslotworks
02-10-2004, 06:25 AM
Does the rear shocks squat alot due to all of the weight with the 8.4V? It seems with the stock pack it seems the shocks are little too soft.

pkh
02-10-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by pslotworks
Does the rear shocks squat alot due to all of the weight with the 8.4V? It seems with the stock pack it seems the shocks are little too soft.
I stretched my rear springs to lengthen them by about 30% or so to give them more preloading on the rear suspension. This not only prevents the rear end from sagging with the battery weight and under acceleration, but it makes the chassis movement side to side from motor torque almost non-existent! (The chassis used to lean to one side or the other due to the torque).

I did this spring stretching on my Micro RS4 (to compenate for droop due to an extra 2-AA cell holder up front), and it worked well, so I figured I'd try it on my TLT-1.

The only thing I don't like about doing this on the TLT-1 is that the spring bows a bit under compression, it doesn't maintain it's nice cylinder shape. If/When stiffer springs become available for the TLT-1, I'll probably replace my stretched ones!

pkh
02-13-2004, 12:22 PM
I was asked in another thread to post a wiring diagram for the 7-SC cell pack, and thought I'd post it here as well for completeness:

http://yourmicro.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=126968