PDA

View Full Version : Locking the diffs

MacMan
02-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Might be something for me to try this weekend. I was reading on a rock crawling thread about putting silly puddy in diffs. It acts like a limited slip. Makes sense to me, and I happen to have a couple eggs of silly puddy at home. :)

sleepy
02-05-2004, 09:41 PM
hot glue works also. and is pretty easy to remove should you want to.

GrEenGoBlIn
02-05-2004, 09:59 PM
putty sounds good....but you would still have to somehow tighten down the ball diff....i think...or maybe just lockin the diffs will owrk.

pkh
02-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Definitely need to lock the center ball diff up somehow. In fact, I'd make that 1st priority! Otherwise you just get FWD or RWD when it slips! If you just lock up the gear diffs, you'll just have both fronts or both rears spinning instead of only one! A little better, but I think the front-rear lockup will buy you the most improvement in traction. I know it will for me!

I'm going to lock up my ball diff, and leave the gear diffs alone for now...

GrEenGoBlIn
02-05-2004, 10:15 PM
well if you only locked the center....it would pull under pressure....but only one wheel....wouldnt it be better if the diffs were locked as well?

Also...if i locked all 3 diffs....how would my steering be affected...with the 4ws and all...ya know.

pkh
02-05-2004, 10:44 PM
Yeah, locking the center diff just guarantees at least one front and one rear are pulling all the time. That's good enough for me. I want the leave the gear diffs alone for now so my steering doesn't suffer!

Gale Force
02-05-2004, 11:28 PM
To lock the centre diff try replacing the balls with the friction pegs used on the T-Maxx's spur gear. Or get a gear diff for the TA0-4 and JB Weld/ silly putty it.

Now you'll have full time 4WD.

MacMan
02-06-2004, 02:26 AM
Yeah, I already put the friction pegs in the center diff. I love em. I was just thinking about putting the putty in the front and rear diff for some serious climbing.

GrEenGoBlIn
02-06-2004, 08:40 PM
If i were to lock one of 3...which would be the best to lock

If i locked the center...i would only get one wheel per fr/back pulling at a time...which that is sorta what happens no matter what....Right??

If i locked either front or rear...i would get either front pulling at all times...or rear pulling at all times...right??

Would it be better to lock the rear then??

I thinki just answered my own question..lol

pkh
02-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by GrEenGoBlIn
If i were to lock one of 3...which would be the best to lock

If i locked the center...i would only get one wheel per fr/back pulling at a time...which that is sorta what happens no matter what....Right??

If i locked either front or rear...i would get either front pulling at all times...or rear pulling at all times...right??

Would it be better to lock the rear then??

I thinki just answered my own question..lol

Best to lock the center... this guarantees that you have at least one front AND one rear pulling. Otherwise, the axle to the rear or the front can slip, and you get only front OR rear drive. So without locking the center diff, you're guaranteed only to have one front OR one rear wheel pulling, but not both front and rear.

For example, when I climb up onto a small box, front tires first, once the front end is on top of the box, one or both front tires just spin, since most of the weight is on the rear tires. Problem is that the center diff allows the rear axle to slip, and neither rear wheel moves! With a locked center diff, at least one rear wheel would pull, and get me the rest of the way up onto the box.

I don't think my E-Maxx has a center diff, because I've never had this problem with it... one front and one rear always pull, although there is slippage left to right.

GrEenGoBlIn
02-06-2004, 11:10 PM
i got it now...so if i were tp climb with it the way it is stock...then if the center diff slipp... and only one front or one rear would pull...and with the locked center...at least one would pull for front and one for rear..i got it now....thanks!

Nitro-Maximus
02-07-2004, 01:31 AM
I just got through putting shoe goe in both my front and my rear diff. I plan on putting back the gear boxes tomorrow afternoon.

I think I'll tighten up the center diff a bit more, but this thing is not made to be my racing truck. Heck if I wanted that, I would get rid of my two mod clods.

I want to climb with this little monster. I think it would be a cool thing to see this bad boy climbing side walk curbs just as high as the darn truck....

Gotta see....

Race on....

pkh
02-07-2004, 01:35 AM
Good luck climbing a curb without the center diff locked!!

Nitro-Maximus
02-07-2004, 01:40 AM
thanks for the luck!!!!!!

MacMan
02-07-2004, 02:14 AM
I'm able to climb curbs with the larger tires and locked center. I have to approach the curb at an angle or else the truck will tip over, but it's very cool to see all the articulation when going at an angle anyhow.

For comparison, I had a 4wd HPI RS4 MT (1/10th scale stadium truck) and it couldn't climb curbs. My E-Maxx and Savage obviously can, but it's great to see the little rock buster keep up with the big dogs. :D

pslotworks
02-10-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by MacMan
I'm able to climb curbs with the larger tires and locked center. I have to approach the curb at an angle or else the truck will tip over, but it's very cool to see all the articulation when going at an angle anyhow.

:D

What tires and rim do you have?

MacMan
02-10-2004, 05:33 PM
I'm using the Tamaya Dagger wheels and some Pro-Line tires. I have a pic of them up in the gallery.